Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 09:01 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,994,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
not quite. if you're talking about the ivy league, either their parents are paying (and have plenty of money to do so), or they're getting financial aid. my "lowly state school" would have actually cost more than the $50k a year school i attended.

given the generous financial aid at top schools (and even some other private schools), there's really no reason not to strive to go to the best school you can get into. but yes, if you do poorly in high school and have to attend a crappy college you can certainly turn things around and end up being very successful. its not the end of the world if you don't get into a good school.
Why do people look down on so many state schools? A lot of state schools are among the top universities in the nation.

You are correct that most of the ivy league schools have great financial aid, but there are still going to be kids getting screwed over by the system we have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 09:08 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,177,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Why do people look down on so many state schools? A lot of state schools are among the top universities in the nation.

You are correct that most of the ivy league schools have great financial aid, but there are still going to be kids getting screwed over by the system we have here.
right...there are definitely some great state schools and there are plenty of crappy private schools. public vs private wasn't the distinction i was trying to make, just that financial aid is likely going to be less relevant at a public school. what i really don't get is those who pay full price for the awful private schools

Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,994,120 times
Quote:
right...there are definitely some great state schools and there are plenty of crappy private schools. public vs private wasn't the distinction i was trying to make, just that financial aid is likely going to be less relevant at a public school. what i really don't get is those who pay full price for the awful private schools

Yeah! I don't get it either. There are a lot of private colleges here in Michigan that have a VERY high price tag and people go into huge debt and they are complete unranked no-name schools.

Also, from what I see, private universities are the ones who offer the most financial aid.

An a further note, I'd gladly go into debt to go to an ivy league college because they would open so many doors.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM

9,409 posts, read 13,069,308 times
Straight out of college it often does. Applying to grad school, it often doesn't.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:58 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
Thanks everyone for getting back at me. I think it doesn't matter what university you graduated from, but the program and professors you studied with. I'm a music major, so would you say that it would matter who my private lesson professor was, and his experience and background?
For jazz, it matters, but the reputation of jazz schools is different from the reputation of the school academically.

For instance, William Paterson in NJ has a mediocre reputation academically, but their jazz program is excellent.

The best jazz program in the country is University of North Texas, bar none. If you come out of there, people will give you paying gigs without ever hearing you play, they just assume you can.

In essence, if you are a jazz performance major, yes it matters. But it's different from mattering in the normal academic sense.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 PM

310 posts, read 1,027,521 times
Quote:
not quite. if you're talking about the ivy league, either their parents are paying (and have plenty of money to do so), or they're getting financial aid. my "lowly state school" would have actually cost more than the $50k a year school i attended.

given the generous financial aid at top schools (and even some other private schools), there's really no reason not to strive to go to the best school you can get into. but yes, if you do poorly in high school and have to attend a crappy college you can certainly turn things around and end up being very successful. its not the end of the world if you don't get into a good school.
Meh, I had a 4.0 in highschool and was offered a scholarship to Brown University. I turned them down because I could never afford it anyway. If my parents were to pay, I'd pick a state school anyway and tell them to put the balance in a trust fund. I'd bet you would come out ahead. But then you're right, if you have the opportunity, might as well take it.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,539,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Meh, I had a 4.0 in highschool and was offered a scholarship to Brown University. I turned them down because I could never afford it anyway. If my parents were to pay, I'd pick a state school anyway and tell them to put the balance in a trust fund. I'd bet you would come out ahead. But then you're right, if you have the opportunity, might as well take it.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...l#post25028703

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,849,560 times
Yes and no. It really depends. But I can tell you that there are great differences between the Ivy League Schools and a the top public and private universities. I went to a top private university, both of my sisters(one already graduated) went to Ivy League Schools. One went to Harvard and has since graduated and is now going to UVA for law, the other is at Northwestern(some consider it Ivy, some don't). My sister who went to Harvard had WONDERFUL networking opportunities that I did not have even at my "top" private school. She had the prestige of saying she went to "Harvard" which as you know many people think is an amazing feat. Her grades weren't stellar by any means, when she graduated, but she still was offered full rides to many top law programs. The way she was taught at Harvard(the education she received) changed the way she looked at life, and the decisions she made. Some will say she developed an entitlement mentality or a "I'm worth a 100k and will not accept less" mentality but it's served her well. My other sister, who happens to to go Northwestern, has had wonderful internship possibilities and has also had the privilege of great networking. This contrasts from the experience I had at top private University. I had networking opportunities, but they weren't the same caliber. I graduated magna *** laude and still felt like after college the job situation was a lot more limited(so to speak) than for my sister who graduated in the midst of a bad economy and could have easily have found a job making 90k.

I got up to 55k up to 1.5 years after graduating. My sister has friends who after graduating Harvard STARTED off making 90k (during the recession) without so much as a masters. These same kids were offered(their Junior and Senior year) jobs at places like Bain, Goldman Sachs, etc. And to top off, my sister has less than 15k in loans from Harvard. My other sister will have something similar from Northwestern. I have up to 20k in student loans. Yet my school was less expensive, and I had academic scholarships. The biggest difference? How the loans were allocated. You see, my dad has taken on the brunt of BOTH of my sisters loans, because my sisters weren't required to take out as much as I was at my school. I was required to take a certain amount, and my parents offset the rest.

However, not every Ivy graduate is guaranteed employment. My sister has a friend, who majored in "Classics" and did not find employment when he graduated--and he had graduated in 2005 before the economy went bad. So it's still a case of making sure you major in the right thing, and taking advantage of the school you go to. If I had to do it over, I would have went to an Ivy. Simply for the connections and the salary I'd be guaranteed. However if I were going to school for something like art History? I'd go to a CC than transfer to a state school to save money. Not all majors are equal. If your majoring in political science, economics, business, engineering, etc than you want to go to an Ivy. If your majoring in art history, Womans studies, philosophy, the classics? Just save your money and go to a cc than transfer to a state school.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 07-12-2012 at 08:10 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,177,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
ive called you out on this several times and you always ignore it: brown does not offer merit scholarships.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:54 AM

407 posts, read 831,169 times
I enjoyed reading what everyone had to say. The only reason why I bring this up is because I am currently attending Long Island University in New York. I am majoring in music ed. I have a wonderful private lesson professor who is very active in what he does. But I know LIU isn't widely known for its music dept. I thought about transferring but am about halfway done with my degree.

My family is moving out of state in a couple of years and I plan on moving out as well. What I've been afraid of is applying to schools out of NY and not getting employed because I'm from a out-of-state university. I plan on doing my student teaching on Long Island, but don't plan on applying for jobs here. Has this situation (or something similar) happened to anyone else? I am worried about getting employment out of state. And wasn't sure if transferring down their now would be the answer. It be great just to finish up where I am, but don't know if (LIU education & NY teaching certificate) would hurt me when I look for out-of-state jobs.

I've talked to friends and get all different answers. Kinda worried.

thanks for any feed back, I appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities