Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 AM

919 posts, read 1,785,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I've discovered that, except for a hand full of disciplines (law, medicine, engineering, hard sciences), college is pretty much a complete waste of time anyway. I wanted to go back and get a degree in Appropriate Technology and it was all theory. THEORY. Nobody teaches you how to DO anything. Instead a bunch of professors sit around and talk about what they THINK about appropriate technology. Give me a break. Universities are so incrediby, FULL OF THEMSELVES, I can't stand it.

20yrsinBranson
If you don't mind my asking, what university was the one you attended?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,189,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what university was the one you attended?
Having been a military wife at the time, there were several. So many, in fact that I lost over 60 credit hours on courses that were "not transferable". I attended in Alabama, North Carolina, Texas, and ultimately received my degree through a military extension school affiliated with Grand Canyon University in Arizona. Mind you, this was from 1978 -1990. If anything, institutions of higher learning have gotten WORSE in the ensuing 20 years.

20yrsinbranson.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:35 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,590,345 times
Quote:
Having been a military wife at the time, there were several. So many, in fact that I lost over 60 credit hours on courses that were "not transferable". I attended in Alabama, North Carolina, Texas, and ultimately received my degree through a military extension school affiliated with Grand Canyon University in Arizona. Mind you, this was from 1978 -1990. If anything, institutions of higher learning have gotten WORSE in the ensuing 20 years.

20yrsinbranson.
I visited numerous colleges over the last ten years and many of the ones my sons were looking at, including the one my youngest is now attending, had a big emphasis on hands on learning. Perhaps you weren't looking at enough technical colleges. Some of the colleges where that happens: Drexel, Rochester Institute of Technology, Worcester Polytech, Florida Institute of Technology.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I visited numerous colleges over the last ten years and many of the ones my sons were looking at, including the one my youngest is now attending, had a big emphasis on hands on learning. Perhaps you weren't looking at enough technical colleges. Some of the colleges where that happens: Drexel, Rochester Institute of Technology, Worcester Polytech, Florida Institute of Technology.
I apologize for not being clear I my previous post. My most recent foray into higher education, i.e. the search for an Appropriate Technology degree, there are only a few schools which offer it. Personally, I am a huge fan of the VOTECH program since it its one of the few places that actually teach you how to DO something. On the other hand, technical colleges often place too much emphasis on computers being the only career that matters.

20yrsinbranson

Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
What about the 80% of the college applicants that won't be accepted to the "top ranked" schools?? There are many paths to success in this life, and going to college, top ranked, low ranked, middle ranked are just some of the paths. When I meet people my age, where they went to college usually doesn't come up in the conversation at all.
That's interesting! It usually comes up with the people I meet, and I'm older than you. Maybe that's Colorado, with all its transplants.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:42 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,536,697 times
Quote:
I've discovered that, except for a hand full of disciplines (law, medicine, engineering, hard sciences), college is pretty much a complete waste of time anyway. I wanted to go back and get a degree in Appropriate Technology and it was all theory. THEORY. Nobody teaches you how to DO anything. Instead a bunch of professors sit around and talk about what they THINK about appropriate technology. Give me a break. Universities are so incrediby, FULL OF THEMSELVES, I can't stand it.

20yrsinBranson
Employment and salary data disagree.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,302,006 times
Yeah, the gaping hole in this plan is this little thing called accreditation.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,208,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Yeah, the gaping hole in this plan is this little thing called accreditation.
Stanford and MIT are both accredited. While there are holes in the plan, accreditation is not one of them.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 PM

Since you can home school, why can't you home college?

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2013, 09:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,502,310 times
Quote:
Since you can home school, why can't you home college?

20yrsinBranson
There is a way to "home college." Having been in the military, I'm sure you've heard of CLEP and DSST. Excelsior College, Charter Oak State College, and Thomas Edison State College are very accepting of these along with other flexible options such as Excelsior Exams, Uexcel Exams, Ohio University Exams, TECEP exams, and self-paced Straighterline courses. There are also correspondence schools such as Penn Foster, but it's not regionally-accredited. There are several major universities that offer correspondence courses and these can be transferred to the three schools I mentioned above without having to worry about a 30 credit residency requirement. These schools are great for transfer students who don't want to lose credit and they're non-profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities