Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
eh its just like any other significant accomplishment. if we had a thread about people who can run a mile under 5 minutes wed have all sorts of backlash from those complaining that such a feat isnt that great
Lol.

Yet another thing I was close too in High School, but not quite...

My best time was just above 5 minutes, which believe it or not, is not that great. It's good and will win you some small races but no awards whatsoever.

The top runners were around 4 and a half or 4:45 I think.

Of course, we're talking about things you've accomplished before the age of 18.

Now, I'm lucky if I could run a mile in 10 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,903 times
well from a female perspective its pretty good. but anyway im sure you all get my point. blah blah the ten minute milers will be more successful in the long run or some crap lol. i didnt go to an ivy league school btw....just to clear things up. if anyone asks why not its bc my parents werent rich enough ;-)

Old 08-09-2012, 06:08 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
I know people who graduated from one. I am thinking about transfering to one of my GPA allows (I have a 3.88 but I am sure there are thousands 4.0 folks who will have better chances than me). We'll see. If I can't get in, I will try Saint Anselms which is not an Ivy League but a good school for my major (Political Science).... And then Law School.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It's quite possible to get an Ivy degree without undergoing much rigor. There's usually enough grade inflation to go around that you can easily coast if you pick the right major.
What Ivy University did you go to and what major?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What Ivy University did you go to and what major?
I went to a decent (but not phenomenal) state school for undergrad and majored in poli sci/creative nonfiction. I now attend an Ivy League law school, and probably a good third of my class went to state schools/ho-hum private colleges.

A lot of my high school friends went to Penn. Those who took advantage of their opportunities now work good jobs/attend top grad schools. Those who did not aren't faring very well. If I had gone to an Ivy, I would have ended up in exactly the same place, and I repeat, unless you're looking to work straight out of undergrad (where the Ivy boost will be moderately significant), you won't be doing yourself any disservice by attending a merely "good" school and saving money.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
I went to a decent (but not phenomenal) state school for undergrad and majored in poli sci/creative nonfiction. I now attend an Ivy League law school, and probably a good third of my class went to state schools/ho-hum private colleges.

A lot of my high school friends went to Penn. Those who took advantage of their opportunities now work good jobs/attend top grad schools. Those who did not aren't faring very well. If I had gone to an Ivy, I would have ended up in exactly the same place, and I repeat, unless you're looking to work straight out of undergrad (where the Ivy boost will be moderately significant), you won't be doing yourself any disservice by attending a merely "good" school and saving money.
Ah I thought you had one of those easy liberal arts degrees and were providing info from personal experienc and could provide unique personal insight.
Too bad. Thanks though.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Ah I thought you had one of those easy liberal arts degrees and were providing info from personal experienc and could provide unique personal insight.
Too bad. Thanks though.
I know plenty of people who did.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM

436 posts, read 755,861 times
Quote:
It's quite possible to get an Ivy degree without undergoing much rigor. There's usually enough grade inflation to go around that you can easily coast if you pick the right major.
Is this not true with most colleges? Personally, I think you can cost through many schools regardless of the major.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Thumb View Post
Is this not true with most colleges? Personally, I think you can cost through many schools regardless of the major.
Engineering, hard science, (and to a lesser extent, business courses) are almost universally curved, so you can't really coast through them by definition. Liberal arts departments tend to have a culture of high grade inflation across the board, so no, Ivies alone are not guilty of this.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Accidental double post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities