Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:26 AM

131 posts, read 282,154 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts? Please give me any input, opinions, information, etc. that you may have. I'm active duty Navy and my undergrad GPA is 2.8 mainly due to taking finals online and getting F's in them because I dropped the connection. Had I gotten A's in three more course as opposed to C's I wouldn't be writing this....a whole other story. But anyway...please feel free to input because this is on my shortlist of programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:35 PM

308 posts, read 897,461 times
non-AACSB accredited, quasi-online MBA with questionable academic rigor?

well, it better be extremely cheap, otherwise it is complete waste of your money / time / telent...

such degrees are usually obtained by old people who have all the experience in the world, but can't break into sr management because they dont have the three magical letters (so, frankly, they dont give a crap where did their MBA came from).

if your intent is to actually leverage this particular MBA program to break into business world and become a hot-shot, you are destinied for an epic fail.
you will be laughed out of the room by a much stronger competition who got a combination of proper education and relevant work experience.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,841,421 times
Waste.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM

366 posts, read 731,412 times
After a cursory view of their website, I see nothing wrong with Webster. Regionally accredited, long history and ranks well on the US News and World Report. Depending on where you're stationed you could possibly take your courses on base. The MBA is 36 hrs. at 435 per credit hr. so for about 15k you could have an MBA. You graduate with little debt and have an MBA. Nothing wrong with that.

However, one of the objectives of obtaining an MBA is to build up a network of persons that can help your career in the future. Would Webster help you there? Also there's the snob factor as the other posters have pointed out. Again, only you can answer how important these are to you. What other schools are you considering?

Also thank you for your service. My son is currently stationed in Bahrain and is weighing his options for an MBA after he completes his hitch next year. Your sacrifice deserves our respect. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 AM

@ja1myn.....and what exactly are your thoughts as to why it is a waste? I'd have to disagree totally. I'm not going to be a prince of Wall Street or at least I don't forsee it...but you never know. If it gets me a job at GE or even an insurance company making a decent salary...enough to keep the lights on, then it was well worth it. So what would an MBA from Syracuse do in relative relation to one from Webster. Not to mention, it doesn't cost me $1. So why not?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA wannabe View Post
So what would an MBA from Syracuse do in relative relation to one from Webster. Not to mention, it doesn't cost me $1. So why not?
Syracuse is way better, a brick and mortar school, a serious academic institution with rich traditions. If you do not see the obvious difference between the two, trust me, the hiring manager will.

the problem with your education and your life in general is that you live only once, and you get only one shot at getting a degree such as MBA. so who the hell cares how much it costs, if you have a chance to get into a much better school, study harder, get much more out of your MBA, learn more from your peers who are qualified to be there, and eventually land a better job, etc.

if you are really going to school just to get the three magical letters - go for it. but don't think that by taking major shortcuts you are going to get further in life than your peers who made better decisions regarding their education. go ahead and get a generic, cheap, and non-accredited MBA, but then don't blame the society if in the end it nobody would care.

do. not. settle. for. mediocrity.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
Quote:
@ja1myn.....and what exactly are your thoughts as to why it is a waste? I'd have to disagree totally. I'm not going to be a prince of Wall Street or at least I don't forsee it...but you never know. If it gets me a job at GE or even an insurance company making a decent salary...enough to keep the lights on, then it was well worth it. So what would an MBA from Syracuse do in relative relation to one from Webster. Not to mention, it doesn't cost me $1. So why not?
Sounds like you've made up your mind to go to Webster (already) and don't need opinions to the contrary..

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM

@minibrings....I've already decided that this is where I'll be. Just wanted some input, thanks a ton. All things considered...an MBA is a waste of time for me....just as a BA was....I already clear $100K/yr and thats without a conferred degree. So the way I see it, is that you're wasting time and money anyway unless your MBA is going to make you $500k/yr. I believe the breakout to be the top 25 programs anyway. Their undergraduate programs are recognized more than their grad programs I'll admit.
@pzrOrange....get your money back because U of Minn. cheated you....If you would have taken a second to look webster up, you would of known that they are a brick and mortar institution in St. Louis....their IMBA is highly respected. Feel sorry for any client you may be giving financial advice to. "Research Son" No problems with my life or education....house paid for, cash!!! 2 other rental properties. 2009 Audi A6 paid for, $60k in savings, $100K+ in retirement funds....educated in the Philadelphia School District William Penn High. Hell all that before I even got my bachelors this summer. As far as rich academic traditions go....tradition ain't ****, nothing more than what someone else has done. Oh yeah its great that schools turned out great doctors 150 years ago...guess what medicine has changed....Just like business is not the same as it was 20 years ago. The rules of the game have changed mostly....I only know one thing....that hard work pays. Thurgood Marshall/Albert Einstein/Abraham Lincoln/Tim Gannon. I don't have your nice U of M degree Top 30 ranked degree, but I suspect that I could teach you a thing or two about management and the bottom line.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
@minibrings....I've already decided that this is where I'll be. Just wanted some input, thanks a ton. All things considered...an MBA is a waste of time for me....just as a BA was....I already clear $100K/yr and thats without a conferred degree. So the way I see it, is that you're wasting time and money anyway unless your MBA is going to make you $500k/yr. I believe the breakout to be the top 25 programs anyway. Their undergraduate programs are recognized more than their grad programs I'll admit.
I see, so you are in the military, just finished your BA and already making six figures? MBA is a waste of time unless you are a making 500K a year?

wow, just wow. I suppose those who truly understand the value of money and good education (while not living in their mom's basement) would be more than sceptical about these type of remarks.

Quote:
@pzrOrange....get your money back because U of Minn. cheated you....If you would have taken a second to look webster up, you would of known that they are a brick and mortar institution in St. Louis....their IMBA is highly respected.
I did look them up, it only takes 5 minutes to see what they are all about. their MBA program is not even AACSB accredited.

As far as my business school is concerned, I doubt that they cheated me, since they are #9 ranked part-time MBA program in the nation and #4 ranked in my field of study, Management of Information Systems. (not that I need any kind of outside validation for the knowledge I received and the network of professionals I gained access to).

Quote:
Feel sorry for any client you may be giving financial advice to. "Research Son" No problems with my life or education....house paid for, cash!!! 2 other rental properties. 2009 Audi A6 paid for, $60k in savings, $100K+ in retirement funds....educated in the Philadelphia School District William Penn High. Hell all that before I even got my bachelors this summer. As far as rich academic traditions go....tradition ain't ****, nothing more than what someone else has done. Oh yeah its great that schools turned out great doctors 150 years ago...guess what medicine has changed....Just like business is not the same as it was 20 years ago. The rules of the game have changed mostly....I only know one thing....that hard work pays. Thurgood Marshall/Albert Einstein/Abraham Lincoln/Tim Gannon. I don't have your nice U of M degree Top 30 ranked degree, but I suspect that I could teach you a thing or two about management and the bottom line.
I rest my case .

Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Point noted....not all MBA's are a waste. 5 minutes of research huh? Again, you may want to get your money back...better yet. You are what you pay for. Those rankings are according to who? Surely not to anyone who makes up the fabric of America....You're almost an elitist...keep striving, you'll get there. As far as living in mom's basement goes, the reason mom has a basement is for sons/daughters who fall on hard times. My child will for ever be welcome into my home. Remember all the good educated people who are on hard times. Go do some community service at your local shelter and do a poll of their education and then you'll understand the true value of what you earn. Money is what you make it. I've been broke before and know what its like to be without, so I know the value of a dollar as well as education. Education is relative, there is a 22 year old with a CC education out there somewhere who will know more about business in the next 5 years than any MBA will ever know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities