Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 12:49 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating at 25 myself. Graduated high school in 2011.

I had a false start to college in the 2011-2013 period. I was majoring in engineering at a major university and it was clear after the first year it was starting to not work out. At that point I was kind of in a catch 22, I really needed to go to community college but I had no way of getting there.

4 weeks before the 2012-13 school year started, I got my driver's license (my parents were nice enough to get me a 2008 Honda Accord to practice on and eventually become my own car) but I wasn't quite ready to commute to community college, plus my GPA was above a 2.0 by this time so there was still some hope. Fall 2012 my GPA was iffy, but spring 2013, with issues in the family at the time it was a disaster. 0.86. By March 2013 the writing was on the wall and it was decided that I would go to community college in fall 2013, with the '08 Accord and a change of major. Well, my mom totaled the '08 Accord (she was fine), so a 2011 Accord took its place.

Went to community college 2013-2015 to get my associates degree in journalism. Yes, engineering to journalism is a massive change and very few classes took over. The underlying cause was that I found out that I didn't enjoy engineering, and wanted to be a car reviewer. That's been my career ambition for the past four years now. Graduated May 9, 2015 with my AS in Journalism and went to a major university (a different one this time). Now I'm a senior, taking a victory lap (5th year) and then graduating in May 2018 at 25 years and 5 months old.

If my 19 year old self could see my current self, he would be extremely jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 AM

370 posts, read 654,679 times
Too late for what? To be a ballerina? Then yes!
You do realize that as we get older we become smarter and wiser, our brains just don't stop thinking at a certain age! These kind of posts irritate me because it's so absurd to think "I'm too old to study"... ... once you stop studying then you become stupid ...

I know so many people who didn't go to college and are way more successful and earn more money than I'll ever earn...& I also know folks that go back to college later in life; second career, or finish that degree, intellectual pleasure etc ...

Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
The only thing in university you can really be "too old" for is the Greek system. While the Greek system is beneficial it's far from a requirement. At 24 I'm one of the oldest Greeks at my school.

That being said if you're older than your mid-20s a community college is probably the best option if you can go to one. University works too, just remember that most students in your class will be 18-24 years old (where most of the students fall within that range will depend on the grade level of the class; upper division classes, it will be mostly 20+)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities