Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 AM

10,349 posts, read 14,057,028 times

Advertisements

I think serf isn't really the right word for this. Here is the definition of serf: serf - definition of serf by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. While you could consider a student loan "bondage" I think that's an overly dramatic term to use to describe being in debt.

Yes, college is a huge money drain. However, it is becoming harder to get a good-paying job without a college degree. For that reason alone, you're better off biting the bullet and dealing with student loans for the next 20 years or so. Just go to a college that isn't high priced like Harvard and your loan payments will likely be affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 11:32 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,469,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I think serf isn't really the right word for this. Here is the definition of serf: serf - definition of serf by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. While you could consider a student loan "bondage" I think that's an overly dramatic term to use to describe being in debt.

Yes, college is a huge money drain. However, it is becoming harder to get a good-paying job without a college degree. For that reason alone, you're better off biting the bullet and dealing with student loans for the next 20 years or so. Just go to a college that isn't high priced like Harvard and your loan payments will likely be affordable.

Exactly. College is expensive, but in many of the technical fields, you won't even get an interview without one. My employers had my hands tied (really big companies), in that if you didn't have a degree from an approved school, sorry, no job. Not even an interview. There are a zillion (technical term) engineering jobs available now... go look at Monster/CareerBuilder/Indeed etc. Oh, but wait.... Minimum BS, Master's preferred...
First of all, Harvard is no more expensive than many of the other private schools. Poor example. I am doing the school search now. JHU is $10K more/year.
Not to place blame, but where were the parents (in terms of saving money), when they conceived the child? I started saving years before I ever even had one (well, technically not mine, but essentially). $100/week invested for their college, over the past decades makes any college in the entire US has the individual emerge debt-free. Best gift I was ever given, best gift I can ever give. I get tired of hearing 'it is so expensive', when 'P*ss poor planning on the parent's part' (PPPPP) is one of the reasons (actually, the main reason) that students emerge with so much debt. YMMV.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Exactly. College is expensive, but in many of the technical fields, you won't even get an interview without one. My employers had my hands tied (really big companies), in that if you didn't have a degree from an approved school, sorry, no job. Not even an interview. There are a zillion (technical term) engineering jobs available now... go look at Monster/CareerBuilder/Indeed etc. Oh, but wait.... Minimum BS, Master's preferred...
First of all, Harvard is no more expensive than many of the other private schools. Poor example. I am doing the school search now. JHU is $10K more/year.
Not to place blame, but where were the parents (in terms of saving money), when they conceived the child? I started saving years before I ever even had one (well, technically not mine, but essentially). $100/week invested for their college, over the past decades makes any college in the entire US has the individual emerge debt-free. Best gift I was ever given, best gift I can ever give. I get tired of hearing 'it is so expensive', when 'P*ss poor planning on the parent's part' (PPPPP) is one of the reasons (actually, the main reason) that students emerge with so much debt. YMMV.
I just used Harvard as an example because that's the first school I think of when I hear the word "expensive." Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that all college debt is "**** poor planning on the parent's part." Yes, that can happen, but there are many parents out there who can't afford to save much money for their kids' educations.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:05 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,469,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I just used Harvard as an example because that's the first school I think of when I hear the word "expensive." Also, I wouldn't necessarily say that all college debt is "**** poor planning on the parent's part." Yes, that can happen, but there are many parents out there who can't afford to save much money for their kids' educations.
Quote:"I just used Harvard as an example because that's the first school I think of when I hear the word "expensive."

Have you started putting a student through almost any of the decent private universities recently? Harvard is about average for cost. Trust me on that one.

Quote:"Yes, that can happen, but there are many parents out there who can't afford to save much money for their kids' educations."

Buying/creating/adopting, whatever you want to call it, something you cannot afford IS, by definition, PPPPP.
I think even the most simple concept is that raising a child is a zillion (technical term) dollar expense. If the parents can't afford it, should the student be at fault because he/she goes far into debt? So whining about the expense just indicates that the parents are living beyond their means.
When you were 22, did you start saving for an offspring's education? Really simple math, with basic forward extrapolation would give you an idea of what you would need. Not rocket science.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Quote:"I just used Harvard as an example because that's the first school I think of when I hear the word "expensive."

Have you started putting a student through almost any of the decent private universities recently? Harvard is about average for cost. Trust me on that one.

Quote:"Yes, that can happen, but there are many parents out there who can't afford to save much money for their kids' educations."

Buying/creating/adopting, whatever you want to call it, something you cannot afford IS, by definition, PPPPP.
I think even the most simple concept is that raising a child is a zillion (technical term) dollar expense. If the parents can't afford it, should the student be at fault because he/she goes far into debt? So whining about the expense just indicates that the parents are living beyond their means.
When you were 22, did you start saving for an offspring's education? Really simple math, with basic forward extrapolation would give you an idea of what you would need. Not rocket science.
I'm not going to split hairs with you about expensive colleges, you've missed my point entirely. I'm not going to debate unplanned pregnancies as well. The point is, even living within your means does not mean that you can afford to fund someone's college education. I think you need to come down from your ivory tower for a little while.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:51 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,400,115 times
My wife has no college degree and is a commissioned sales rep for a higher end furniture store chain.
Last year her gross income was slightly over 109,000 dollars.
She works close to 65 hours average per week.

You do not need a college degree for high end sales.
What you do need is extreme drive and ambition combined with sales aptitude.

She attends seminar after seminar on sales and self improvement sometimes traveling to DC and into NYC to attend some of the best seminars in the country.

She's constantly challenging herself.
I'm very proud of her.

My cousin is also a sales rep and is employed by ZEP industrial cleaning products.
His career has spanned close to forty years and prides himself on the fact that he has never set foot onto a college campus.

He is very well off and enjoys his house in Denver and his house in Silverthorne Co up I-70 in ski country.

Most of my wife's co workers have no college degree yet make close if not over six figures a year.

You have to want it bad enough to go kill it and drag it home.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:53 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,602,470 times
How are parents today supposed to save money for their children's colleges when they are still paying off their own student loans?

Around and around it goes...

Old 09-16-2012, 04:09 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
How are parents today supposed to save money for their children's colleges when they are still paying off their own student loans?

Around and around it goes...
Exactly! The effects of poor decisions made by parents earlier in life carry onto their children.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,602,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Exactly! The effects of poor decisions made by parents earlier in life carry onto their children.
Except they're not parents when they make that decision....they're 18 year olds with no understanding of the consequences of student loans.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,247,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Except they're not parents when they make that decision....they're 18 year olds with no understanding of the consequences of student loans.
Generalizations are never good. An uneducated 18 year old might not have an understanding of the consequences of a student loan while an educated 18 year old would. Chances are that an uneducated 18 year old has uneducated parents as well... thus no real guidance.

If you don't understand the consequences of loans, you aren't ready for college.

Anyways, what many are probably alluding to here is that we need tighter control on student loans to prevent everyone and their mother from taking out incredibly large loans... and I agree.

Last edited by NJBest; 09-16-2012 at 04:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities