Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 16,492 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I currently live in Indiana and am attending Ivy Tech Community College and will graduate with my Associate of Science in Education in May. I know that I want to go to a 4 year college to get my Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, but I am having a hard time deciding whether to go to a college in-state or out-of-state. The school I am looking into here in Indiana is Ball State University. The other schools that I am looking into are in Texas; University of North Texas, University of Houston and University of Texas - Austin.

What do you think about these schools and their Education programs? Are they good schools? What are they like? The atmosphere? How are the schools in Texas with Financial Aid for out-of-state students? If none of these schools would be good for Elementary Education, do you have any suggestions of schools that are good for it?

If there is anything else that you would like to add, please do so. Any information is appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl08 View Post
Hello All!

I currently live in Indiana and am attending Ivy Tech Community College and will graduate with my Associate of Science in Education in May. I know that I want to go to a 4 year college to get my Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education, but I am having a hard time deciding whether to go to a college in-state or out-of-state. The school I am looking into here in Indiana is Ball State University. The other schools that I am looking into are in Texas; University of North Texas, University of Houston and University of Texas - Austin.

What do you think about these schools and their Education programs? Are they good schools? What are they like? The atmosphere? How are the schools in Texas with Financial Aid for out-of-state students? If none of these schools would be good for Elementary Education, do you have any suggestions of schools that are good for it?

If there is anything else that you would like to add, please do so. Any information is appreciated. Thank you!
I don't know what your financial situation is, but if you're going to be paying out of pocket for all your school and living expenses, I'd go local. Ball State is fine, UI, wherever. It really doesn't matter too much where you go if you want to teach elementary school I don't think.

If you go UT Austin, you're probably looking at 100K of debt. Consider you'll need a masters too.

If you really want the college 'experience' then go for it. But as someone who lived that 'experience', I don't think it's worth it if it's your own dime.

Aside ... I know someone who went to Ivy Tech. Old co-worker. Nice lady.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Go to which ever one will accept the most credits from your community college and cost you the least amount of money--and the one where you want to live after you graduate.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Check to see if your state has any in state agreements with other states. For example, Michigan and ohio residents cna attend each other's schools at in state rates. that may expand your optons. As for good teaching colleges ask your school counsellors, or go to your local schools and ask whomever is in charge of hiring what they consider to be the best schools. Teaching is very political. Thus, you may find the "best" school is the one that was most likely the alma mater of the school where you are applying.

Although not the best, easter Michigan is supposedly the largest teaching program. I think the "best" are usually at typical top schools like Michigan, Notre Dame, U. Chicago, etc.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:46 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,790 times
To work in education, it is easiest if you get your degree in the same state where you want to work. Not absolutely necessary, but if you are planning to pay for out of state and then come back and work where you are, it wouldn't make sense no matter how good those education programs are.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM

Thank you all for your replies! I very much appreciate all of the opinions and advice!

To answer some things posted in replies, I will be paying out of pocket for the rest of my schooling. That is why I am wondering if it will be worth it to go out-of-state for school or not. Also, I do want to move to Texas and I wasn't sure if it would be better to have a degree from a Texas college versus an Indiana college.

If I do decide to go to a University in Texas, in your opinions, do you think it would be better for me to take a year off to work and gain residency in the state so that I can pay in-state tuition or to just start up next fall and pay out-of-state tuition? Also, I am 22 and have been in school since I graduated high school in 2008. I had a hard time deciding on a major and have tried many different ones over the years.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeGirl08 View Post
Thank you all for your replies! I very much appreciate all of the opinions and advice!

To answer some things posted in replies, I will be paying out of pocket for the rest of my schooling. That is why I am wondering if it will be worth it to go out-of-state for school or not. Also, I do want to move to Texas and I wasn't sure if it would be better to have a degree from a Texas college versus an Indiana college.

If I do decide to go to a University in Texas, in your opinions, do you think it would be better for me to take a year off to work and gain residency in the state so that I can pay in-state tuition or to just start up next fall and pay out-of-state tuition? Also, I am 22 and have been in school since I graduated high school in 2008. I had a hard time deciding on a major and have tried many different ones over the years.
It would be better to have a degree from Texas but Texas is one state that takes licenses from several other states so call the State Teacher licensing bureau in Texas and ask if they will accept licenses from Indiana. If they do you have the best of both worlds, BUT, I would still suggest finishing in Texas because getting your foot in the door with a teaching practicum is a great way to get a job.

Don't rule out private schools in Texas. Look at Southwestern and Trinity. Both are known for generous merit aid and may come in less expensive then a state school in Indiana and almost certainly less then paying out of state tuition in Texas. If Texas is your ultimate goal, you will be best served to finish there if you can afford to do that without taking on huge amounts of debt.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Golfgal is giving you excellent advice. I would not assume that you can fill the residency requirement just by living in state for a year. College For All Texans: Residency Information

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-29-2012 at 01:46 PM..

Old 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM

Thank you golfgal. I will contact the State Teacher licensing bureau and see what they say. I will look into those schools as options also!

toobusytoday: I know that just living in a state for a year will not fill a residency requirement. I have vaguely looked into residency requirements before for a friend. I will look at the link you gave also. Thank you!

I have much to contemplate and look into in the next few weeks. Thank you all for your help. Any further infromation/opinons/etc are appreciated.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 AM

131 posts, read 282,043 times
I am not from Indiana and not familiar with the institutions in your state. Of course everyone will know Notre Dame, IU, IUPUI, Purdue. Those schools have brand recognition on a national level. I believe that great sports programs=great education...not!!! There are tons of people out there that believe that. Being from Pennsylvania....everyone is familiar with Penn St., I can personally name 5 better schools where you can get an undergraduate degree that most people have not heard of. With that being said, I would look into Ball State if I were you. I've heard and read numerous times that they have a great education program that people recognize. I personally had two Ball St. alum teachers when i was in high school in Philadelphia...that says alot....imported all the way to the east coast. Talk with 4 or 5 state schools before you decide, do intense research into their education program and go from there. Valparaiso, Indiana State...etc. hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities