Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,245,045 times

Advertisements

I couldn't find a thread about this so I decided to open a new one

I'd like to know what people study/studied in University and how they feel about it. Was it what you expected? Do you feel you made the right choice or would you change your BA/MA if you could? Was it easy to find a job once you had graduated?

I'll start with myself. I'm currently in my last year of BA European Studies and after this I want to do a MA European Public Affairs. I have also spent a semester abroad (in Namur) where I took a variety of courses (all in French) in a broad range of fields, mainly to improve my French language skills.

I haven't graduated yet so I can't say much about job prospects but considering the career I want to have (working for the European Union), I am definitely on the right track with my studies. It is extremely difficult to get into the EU though since it's primarily a technocratic institution that hires people based on exceptional skills and expertise (unless you're an elected politician but that's not what I want). I'm a bit worried about the stiff competition I will inevitably have to face. For now, I feel that I've made the right choice and I can't imagine what else I'd be studying if it weren't this.

If there is already a thread about this, my apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
BS Business (Cal Berkeley). Never really used the degree. I had taken many computing/programming class and have been in IT ever since. No complaints about being in IT

MS Computer Science (Columbia). I don't code anymore, more into project management. Still it broadened my knowledege of computing.. THOUGh computing changes year by year. Still having an Ivy masters in computing was good for my career and in job searches.

MBA General Business (University of Adelaide, Australia). I'd do it all over again. Great exposure to business. Interaction with Australian, European, South American and Asian students excellent. Made good contacts. Some jobs were looking for MBA preferred and that ticked the box.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:32 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
BA in international environmental policy and political science - it prepared me well for the Foreign Service Officer's Exam and a Peace Corps application, though I am now medically disqualified. There's no way I could have known that I would get cancer so young, but had I known, I might have picked a major with more prospects of working from home/hospital. Luckily, I fell into that environment on my own.

Began working toward an MBA in nonprofit management with a focus on healthcare management, but that's on hiatus as I take a few computer science courses.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,166,014 times
i have a bachelor's in Economics. i'm pretty neutral about it. i majored in Economics because i enjoyed it and i still do. however, i don't use it (specifically) in my work. my career now just requires a degree in general. a few future career possibilities i'm considering would use the major, but i would have to refresh my mind a bit. i did learn quite a bit in school.

if i could go back in time i would think more about my career while in college. i had no idea what i wanted to do and that hurt me as i didn't bother to hunt for post-grad employment until a few months after graduating. i should have looked into it more, gone to professors' office hours for advice, visited the career center, just applied to stuff earlier, etc.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,386,741 times
BS biology, MA biology and science education. I had a teaching job lined up when I graduated and did that for a few years before going back for a doctorate. I had another job lined up as soon as I defended my dissertation.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,349,484 times
I have a BA/BS in mathematics and chemistry. I also have a M.Ed. in teaching, learning, and leadership.

As a stay at home dad, I am obviously not using my degrees in a capacity that would matter. That doesn't mean that I regret them or anything of that nature. In terms of career prospects, I had no problem with finding a job. In fact, before I completed my graduate degree I had multiple job opportunities. I just made the decision to concentrate on my then growing family.

I eventually plan to go back into education in some capacity and I want to get a doctorate.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 AM

455 posts, read 1,398,753 times
I have an AS in Network Engineering and a BSIT, I've also been working on a MBA in Project Management since 2012. The past 7 years I have worked abroad. The only job I had that was based in the US was the military. I do have a beautiful wife and son living in Texas. So I do have a home based. I just can't stay in one spot for very long, I grow bored. Luckily the wife is very understanding

I wouldn't change a thing. Seeing the world has been a valuable aspect of my personal growth. And has given me and my family a lifestyle and home most people could never afford. If I didn't get into a technical field I doubt things would have turned out the same.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,671,167 times
BA: a self-designed program that I entitled "The Social Psychology of International Relations." Really, I had no clue what direction I wanted to go, and mashed some courses together to make this major. Where did it get me? Working in a bakery. But at least I was the shift supervisor, lol.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM

547 posts, read 939,802 times
BA in history from the University of Houston. Graduated in 2005.

I have never used my college degree for any job I've had in close to 8 years since I gradated college. All the jobs I've done since I graduated college required a high school diploma and paid me anywhere between 7.75 an hour to 11 dollars an hour. The only job I had where I made 14 dollars was for a temporary pharmacy technician position for 4 months since I also have a pharmacy technician certification.

The current job I have is full time, but I make less than 13,000 dollars as a teacher aide at an elementary school. I already knew how much I would be making, so I have no room to complain.

Would I go back to college and get the same 4 year bachelors degree or a different one? No. College is fine for those who need the college degree for a specific job. Otherwise, it's pointless to go unless you just need to go to college just for the sake of getting a college degree.

Last edited by ryhoyarbie; 01-12-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,299,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I'd like to know what people study/studied in University and how they feel about it.
Currently studying Theatre Design/Technology (BA) with concentrations in Stage Management and Sound Design.

Quote:
Was it what you expected?
It's definitely a lot more difficult than it was in high school, but that's not surprising. I was kind of floored by how involved some of the introductory classes were.

Quote:
Do you feel you made the right choice or would you change your BA/MA if you could?
I'm early in my studies, so it's possible for me to change. However my other main interests (politics and history) point strongly toward law school. Which would mean more schooling and possibly (despite the title "theatre major") an even more difficult time getting a job. And I really just don't think I'm cut out for it.

Quote:
Was it easy to find a job once you had graduated?
It definitely won't be easy, but I'm much improving my chances by being in a concentration with a lot of transferable skills (sound). I'm planning on looking for summer work ASAP to start building my portfolio. Also going to a conference this spring, it's all about networking in this field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities