Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM

647 posts, read 1,524,582 times

Advertisements

My degree was in film (an easy degree I know). Also, does getting a second bachelor's and getting a good GPA in the 2nd bachelor's cancel out the first bachelor's at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
My degree was in film (an easy degree I know). Also, does getting a second bachelor's and getting a good GPA in the 2nd bachelor's cancel out the first bachelor's at all?
Yes, you do.

But it depends in what you want it in.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Yes, you do.

But it depends in what you want it in.
Was looking at an MA in English.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Was looking at an MA in English.
Then, I would say it's fairly probable.

Go to your local graduate school and take 2 or 3 classes non-matric and ace them. Then, take the GRE and rock the verbal section. Get a few good references from employers and they'll likely let you into the program, perhaps on a probationary basis.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times
Some schools only require a 3.0 on the last 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Some schools only require a 3.0 on the last 60 semester hours/90 quarter hours.
I actually did worse during the last few semesters.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:54 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,782,835 times
Yes. You just need to be open-minded with your graduate school options. Many, but not all graduate programs require a 3.0 minimum undergraduate GPA. However if a program is less selective, then they can work with you; give provisional admission perhaps. You'll have to prove yourself in the first semester of graduate studies. This may be an option, even if it isn't obvious from the school website or catalog.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:55 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
I seriously doubt if any reputable school would admit you. As mentioned above, see if you can take some classes on a provisional basis; if you do well in them your chances of being accepted into the graduate program will be greatly increased.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,554,386 times
Why not take some time to do a bit of research. Many colleges state their minimum requirements for grad school on their website. I agree that a 3.0 GPA is what I've heard as a minimum requirement, but that may be for just the classes in the major.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:56 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,774,254 times
3.0 in the last 60/90 hours is pretty much the standard. You might be able to pull together a provisional admission, where you have to take remedial undergrad courses to show you can handle academic work, but you will need other solid credentials and the support of the department to do this.

There are generally two separate admissions processes for grad school. You have to be admitted by the college/university and you have to be admitted by the school/department. In the case of professional school, the college and school might be one and the same. In the case of academic degrees, there will always be two levels. With the two tier admissions, the college/university admissions are normally the simple part. They are just a filter to make sure the department is admitting students that meet a minimum standard.
So, the hard GPA barriers are at the college or university levels, not the department level. If you give the department a reason to want you, they can vouch for you to the university to try to get you provisional admission.

But, the reality is that if you performed poorly in your last 60 hours, why should the department believe that you will perform well as a grad student? Rather than getting a second bachelor's, you might want to go the route of post-baccalaureate classes. Unfortunately, these can get expensive, but it would be your best chance to prove that you are prepared for graduate school. What jobaba said is really pretty accurate, though you might need more than 2-3 post-bac classes if your last 60 hours GPA was even worse than a 2.3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities