Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:57 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,113,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
This is a fair observation and accurate statement. But, sometime's one's GPA does not reflect his/her ability to handle the coursework, rather the discipline he/she had or interest in the coursework. Namely, laziness. Unless there was something else going on in the poster's life at the time...some programs might take this into consideration.

The irony is, a graduate degree is WAY easier than an undergraduate degree. Have no idea why, but it is. Now professional school - Medical, Dental, Law, these are a different story as far as difficulty.

This is why a low GPA is frowned upon by graduate schools: The lowest grade given is a B; the writing is intense; and the research mandatory. Undergraduate degrees rarely prepare you for this type of study and a higher GPA signals a true desire to learn and to be able to comprehend concepts, theories, etc.
I disagree. Grad school is harder if you do it in the same major.

The grading is easier but the workload is a lot more. Some undergrad classes are a serious joke.

I can't recall too many grad classes that required no work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,070,013 times
Why do you want to go to graduate school? Are you certain that you are graduate school material?

Old 02-19-2013, 02:25 PM

134 posts, read 330,183 times
From what I've read quite a few schools have a certain amount of GPA waivers they grant, and usually it's easier to get one if you have other compensating factors, like a strong resume, great professional references, other achievements, great GRE/GMAT scores. Another way in is a lot of schools will let you bypass GPA/GMAT/GRE requirements if you sign up for a Masters Certificate and do good in that and they will admit you to the full Masters program.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:01 PM

460 posts, read 982,711 times
My brother got into a biomedical engineering program despite a sub-3 GPA. He completely aced his GRE to get into a decent grad program.

Unless you are in the top 5% on the GRE, you are better off not getting any master's degree.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:47 PM

265 posts, read 535,349 times
I second the notion of applying as a non maltriculated student or taking a few years off to work or join the peacecorps/americorps and build some solid professional references.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:53 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,006,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Was looking at an MA in English.
Whatever for??

Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 PM

241 posts, read 317,196 times
A friend of mine got into Northwestern Law (one of the best law schools in America) with a sub 3 GPA. He destroyed the LSAT (perfect score) and that helped him alot.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:14 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
My degree was in film (an easy degree I know). Also, does getting a second bachelor's and getting a good GPA in the 2nd bachelor's cancel out the first bachelor's at all?

how? really how do you manage to keep such a low GPA in such an easy major? Do you go to an ivy or something?

man and I thought i was screwed for life with my 3.2 in comp sci and economics.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:17 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,479,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
how? really how do you manage to keep such a low GPA in such an easy major? Do you go to an ivy or something?

man and I thought i was screwed for life with my 3.2 in comp sci and economics.
The point of this thread is to answer the OP's question, not to belittle him/make him feel bad (he's not stupid, he knows his gpa is low) and being a braggart.

Have some class.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:25 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,293,828 times
What would you do with a graduate degree from a school that would accept someone with a 2.3 GPA into their program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities