Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 10,824 times

Advertisements

Looking for Online MS in Compter science, any suggestions? Planning to complete in 2 years. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,487,510 times
Sometimes, the websites I use to search programs are outdated, but I found these.

Colorado State University
Drexel University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Idaho
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Notre Dame De Namur University
University of Michigan - Flint
University of West Florida
John Hopkins University
Hofstra University
University of Colorado - Boulder
University of Louisville
University of Southern California
Georgia Southern University
Illinois Institute of Technology
Franklin University
Eastern Michigan University
The City College of New York
Texas Tech University
George Mason University
University of Illinois
Columbus State University
University of Hawaii
Auburn University
Mississippi State University
Kennesaw State University
Capitol College
Oklahoma State University

You might find some more stuff at this link.
Online Degree Search Results: 1362 Accredited Online Masters Degree Programs | GetEducated.com

Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 10,824 times
Thanks, does anyone know about "Georgia Southern University" ?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,173,944 times
IS there a reason you need an MS? Is it for advancement in your company?

My brother has an MS in CS from a top 5 school and it didn't help him out much.

If your company requires it for advancement it may make sense, but otherwise it probably won't offer much beyond a BS. Especially when you take into account the tuition costs.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
IS there a reason you need an MS? Is it for advancement in your company?

My brother has an MS in CS from a top 5 school and it didn't help him out much.

If your company requires it for advancement it may make sense, but otherwise it probably won't offer much beyond a BS. Especially when you take into account the tuition costs.
Does your brother work in CS?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Does your brother work in CS?
Yes he works for one of the big consulting firms in the DC/Balt area. But he could have gotten there without an MS and a few years job experience.

He was working for the NGA throughout undergrad during the summers and breaks and they offered him a job, but he turned it down for grad school.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,169,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yes he works for one of the big firms in the DC/Balt area.
Nice.

I work in CS, and I generally see the big employers (Google, Microsoft, Oracle, Twitter, etc.) pushing their employees to get their MS in CS in order to move forward in their careers. I know that Intel and Apple do not push for it.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nice.

I work in CS, and I generally see the big employers (Google, Microsoft, Oracle, Twitter, etc.) pushing their employees to get their MS in CS in order to move forward in their careers. I know that Intel and Apple do not push for it.
Yes, but they also won't be taking people that have an online MS from Franklin University. I'm not saying the MS is a terrible investment overall, but there really isn't much of a need for it unless you are looking to get into one of those companies and even so you better have your MS from Carnegie, Stanford, Georgia Tech, or MIT. Not the schools on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities