Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 29,526 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into different MSW programs and from what I've seen, it looks basically impossible to have a job while enrolled. I currently have a really great position (it runs out next year)that I was hoping to turn into a long-term position with my company but if I decide to go to Grad School I don't see that it'll be possible to do that while doing hours for fieldwork.

Is anyone else trying to work while pursuing their MSW? Are there any schools that are more compatible for working students? It seems completely unrealistic (at least for me) to walk away from employment and have no form of income while in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 05:57 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
If you feel very confident that the position can turn into a permanent one, have you considered attending graduate school on a part-time basis? Sure, it takes you longer to graduate but at least you're not racking up a lot of debt.

I'm not sure what state you live in and how many MSW programs are in your area but SOME programs are more accommodating to working students-offering classes at night, offering a few online, etc. It really depends on the program.

I know of a few students in my MSW program who work full-time but I'm not sure if they're full-time students too. I work part-time and I'm lucky to have an employer who makes sure I have a decent schedule that works around my classes.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 29,526 times
I've seen a few really good online programs and one of the schools in my state has a weekend/night program.The issue I'm running into is how to do the 16-24 fieldwork hours every week while being employed. I can't seem to figure out how it would be possible to do both since most agencies aren't open at nights so they wouldn't be able to be fieldwork providers.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:35 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoreStoreGal View Post
I've seen a few really good online programs and one of the schools in my state has a weekend/night program.The issue I'm running into is how to do the 16-24 fieldwork hours every week while being employed. I can't seem to figure out how it would be possible to do both since most agencies aren't open at nights so they wouldn't be able to be fieldwork providers.
Feel free to direct message me if you like but if you feel more comfortable talking here: 1. What online programs are you looking at?
2. Are the online programs comparable in price? If not, is it worth spending more money for online classes?

I would recommend doing an MSW program part-time and looking for a full-time job being a case manager or something similar, that way you can do your internship at your place of employment. You would presumably work more hours at your current job and your internship duties would be separate from your full-time duties. Definitely check with the schools you're interested in to see how this process works.

I know my school doesn't allow internships to work primarily at night. An occasional night is okay, provided you have someone to supervise you.

I hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 AM

917 posts, read 2,004,939 times
My coworker got her msw degree while working full time.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
I know someone who had a very difficult time getting an MSW while trying to work, due to the fieldwork reqirements. Keep in mind that grad school is no walk in the park and it's not for the uncommitted. I'm not clear on why you want to go to grad school if you want to turn your current job into something permanent?

Old 03-06-2013, 02:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I had several co-workers work while in MSW school. They often worked two doubles every weekend for 32 hours (which is tough tough). They worked in a psych hospital as assistants. The fieldwork requirement seems to hark back to a day of "Lady Bountiful," the society lady with white gloves who wants to help the great unwashed population, and can certainly do a long unpaid fieldwork assignment.
One of my co-workers did a forensic fieldwork assignment. He wanted to work in the prison system anyway, plus, forensic assignments were the only ones that were paid. That was out of Boston College, some years ago.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had several co-workers work while in MSW school. They often worked two doubles every weekend for 32 hours (which is tough tough). They worked in a psych hospital as assistants. The fieldwork requirement seems to hark back to a day of "Lady Bountiful," the society lady with white gloves who wants to help the great unwashed population, and can certainly do a long unpaid fieldwork assignment.
One of my co-workers did a forensic fieldwork assignment. He wanted to work in the prison system anyway, plus, forensic assignments were the only ones that were paid. That was out of Boston College, some years ago.
Oh, c'mon! If you're going to school full time, school should be your priority. There's nothing in the OP stating s/he has kids, or is the sole support of someone else, etc. You take out student loans and work part time, if at all. When my daughter was in physical therapy school, the school recommended the students not work, and DD said the students who did work had a much harder time. Why shouldn't there be a fieldwork requirement? The constant whine on this board (not necessarily from you) is that people come out of school with no practical experience. Well, fieldwork is practical experience.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,433 times
I think it depends on the person and the program. I'm about to enter graduate school, also for a MSW. I will be advanced standing, so it will be 10 months and extremely accelerated.

No matter what program you look into, make sure they are accredited. I also recommend part-time and working at your current place of employment if you can.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,857,266 times
When I was in grad school for my Ph.D. in clinical psych, we were not permitted to hold any non-psychology related jobs (so no moonlight waitressing, etc..). It was grounds for expulsion from the program. Any employment was arranged by the program (e.g., being a Teaching or Research Assistant or part-time jobs at the psych hospital, VA hospital, college counseling center). You'd better check the rules before you enroll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities