Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 08:01 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times

Advertisements

My great aunt passed away recently and wanted her assets used to benefit animals. (Yes, she was a cat lady... ). My mother is the executor of the estate and has decided to use the funds to set up a scholarship for veternairy medicine students. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? If she contacts a University with a vet program will they administer the funds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Sorry for the loss of your Great Aunt..

How much in $'s are we talking?

Would this be a 1 time (maybe payable to 1 student over a few years)?
or
Ongoing Supporting scholarships over many students over for many years?

For 1st A gift to a Univ Vet program would be appropriate. For 2nd she would need to set up a board, and application process.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:34 AM

360 posts, read 992,960 times
I suggest you contact the director of development at a college of veternairy medicine who will be very familiar with various options. If you wish to keep it close to home, I believe the Univ of Tennesse has the only such school in the state. If you go to their website you can find the information on how to contact them.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,488,560 times
Most universities have a foundation that administers scholarships. In most cases, an endowed scholarship can be given with restrictions (like benefitting veterinary students over time). Sometimes they will already have scholarships for a specific area and can pool your funds with those to give more money or benefit more students.

I think your mother's idea is a really good way to honor your great-aunt, btw.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:39 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My great aunt passed away recently and wanted her assets used to benefit animals. (Yes, she was a cat lady... ). My mother is the executor of the estate and has decided to use the funds to set up a scholarship for veternairy medicine students. Does anyone know how to go about doing this? If she contacts a University with a vet program will they administer the funds?
Before you contact any university vet school, talk with a lawyer who is familiar with planned giving; the lawyer who handled your great aunt's will should be able to refer you to someone.

You want to set up the scholarship on your family's terms, not on the university's terms.

Good luck. Kudos to your mom and your great aunt for doing this. (Yes, I'm a cat lady, too! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities