Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times

Advertisements

[quote=jbless;30203539]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

What are your thoughts on what a student can say and write concerning not making SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) for Financial Aid purposes?

He has to write an Appeal letter to try and get desperately needed Financial Aid.

Suggestions?
HE needs to write the appeal letter and to do that he needs some substantial reason. A diagnosis of depression would help not only with the documentation, but also hopefully solve what's going on with him. There's only so much you can do as a parent. He is an adult now and needs to be on board with the next step. You can suggest, encourage and threaten just so far but he needs to realize that this is his life.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 07:54 PM

155 posts, read 377,856 times
[quote=marie5v;30272318]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbless View Post

Sorry, I have no idea about that. He should be speaking regularly with an advisor and meeting with other counselors, teachers, pretty much anyone who will meet with him.
Thank you. He now has a good counselor helping with this area.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:16 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,746,659 times
[quote=jbless;30333417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post

Thank you. He now has a good counselor helping with this area.
Any counselors or professors/instructors that he has a good relationship with, that can write letters of support, will help him in his financial aid appeal.

My wife had to write financial aid appeal letters. Actually the whole thing was BS because the school screwed up but she still ended up having to write appeal letters, so she went to three different professors that she'd developed a rapport with and asked them to write support letters and then she took these letters to the Dean of student services, who went to bat for her.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,808,849 times
I'm curious as to what HIS reasons or excuses were for not going to class? If it's just a lazy issue I'd let him get a job and see what's it's like to work 40 hours a week at anything you are able to get-even if you don't like it. Maybe that will make him realize how lucky he was to have the option to go to school and do nothing but that. Many aren't that fortunate.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM

486 posts, read 832,728 times
Maybe your son is just burned out on school and needs a break or a pull back. (take 1-2 classes instead of 4-5) I had similar problem my seconds year in U I was burned out and failed a number of classes. I worked full-time during the summer and then return and took a lighter load the next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities