Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,547,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
MD by far. You make boatloads of $, can get a job anywhere at the drop of a hat, and if you like are probably able to work part time, albeit for less money, but still more than the rest of us.

Job security is impeccable and respect and prestige speaks for itself.

This is because the medical association limits the number of degreed doctors so competition of 'a job' is nil, though of course there is competition for better jobs.

Every other degree you can get is various degrees of crapshoot.

Pinkmani's list is pretty good though.
Eh. It really depends on your specialty. The prestige and respect is pretty universal though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN)
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees
As a SpEd teacher with 20 years experience I would warn anyone going into education right now to think twice. HUman service areas like nursing / medicine, psychology, and the likes are probably better choices over education.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:21 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,478 times
As long as you don't get those liberal arts degrees like poetry and geography.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:52 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
As long as you don't get those liberal arts degrees like poetry and geography.
I don't get geography. Once you know where China is, well - that's where China is.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
MD by far. You make boatloads of $, can get a job anywhere at the drop of a hat, and if you like are probably able to work part time, albeit for less money, but still more than the rest of us.

Job security is impeccable and respect and prestige speaks for itself.

This is because the medical association limits the number of degreed doctors so competition of 'a job' is nil, though of course there is competition for better jobs.
There are many downsides to gettng and being an MD. And many specialties that have their own specific up and downsides.

I wouldn't go nearly as far as saying "MD by far". If I could go back and do it all over again, that wouldn't be my choice of what to pursue.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Engineering.

I hate bragging, but best decision i ever made.

Then stop

Kidding! I couldn't be an engineer if I tried (no interest). But it's impressive.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As a SpEd teacher with 20 years experience I would warn anyone going into education right now to think twice. HUman service areas like nursing / medicine, psychology, and the likes are probably better choices over education.

No do not get into nursing-there is no nursing shortage-new grad nurses have a 47% unemployment rate and it takes about 1-3 years to get a nursing job (if you can find one)...plus do you know how much an average nursing degree costs? 60-75k because there is such a wait in community colleges most people have to go the for profit route.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:26 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,175 times
Computer science

Old 07-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Basically, there's no shortage of new grad in almost any field, because there are simply too many college graduates.
It would be a different story if you have a M.D from medical school,though.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountryTrip View Post
I guess anything STEM is considered to have the most "real world usability".
STEM is relatively more useful, but there are simply too many STEM graduates. STEM is overrated because high-tech big companies want excessive STEM graduates to allow them to pay less and be more picky.

Medical degrees are valuable because they don't admit too many students. On the other hand, you can get into an engineering school as long as you are not retarded.

Actually, everyone should go college = college degrees are not valuable, not much different from high school diploma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities