Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:36 PM

149 posts, read 347,659 times

Advertisements

I'm curious...which fields are the best to get degrees in? For instance, business degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays. They're not the "big deal" they used to be. For someone in this day and age that is wanting to finish college and get their degree, what would you suggest?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraychick01 View Post
I'm curious...which fields are the best to get degrees in? For instance, business degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays. They're not the "big deal" they used to be. For someone in this day and age that is wanting to finish college and get their degree, what would you suggest?

Thanks!
Too much of a generalization.

Accounting, Finance, and MIS for instance are often labeled as B.S.B.A (Bachelor of Science in Business Admin), and they are very useful degrees in getting a job especially accounting. Economics is often part of the business school too, another useful degree.

There is no best degree. Just what degree is best for you. Not everyone is cut out to work in Big Data or become a petroleum engineer.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times
I like MIS, I still want to finish my business degree, but it will probably never happen. Finance 3310 is a weed out class and I even looked up reviews on professors at other schools and for an INTRODUCTORY course, everyone says it's hard. I probably will never be able to finish it.

As for the "best degree" there is none. I have seen people that are successful in liberal arts and business and have seen people fail in liberal arts and business. It's all about networking these days it seems and how you present yourself that matters.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 PM

337 posts, read 896,830 times
I guess anything STEM is considered to have the most "real world usability".

Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN)
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees

Old 07-26-2013, 10:56 AM

6,458 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Stripper.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,526,857 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Engineering or any professional degree that leads to licensure.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:49 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Engineering.

I hate bragging, but best decision i ever made.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:40 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,798 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Various engineering and science degrees, accounting always seems to have a demand.

However, I think just as important as the degree is your extra-curricular activity - networking, internships, etc.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:

Thanks!
MD by far. You make boatloads of $, can get a job anywhere at the drop of a hat, and if you like are probably able to work part time, albeit for less money, but still more than the rest of us.

Job security is impeccable and respect and prestige speaks for itself.

This is because the medical association limits the number of degreed doctors so competition of 'a job' is nil, though of course there is competition for better jobs.

Every other degree you can get is various degrees of crapshoot.

Pinkmani's list is pretty good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities