Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 PM

102,233 posts, read 108,040,687 times

Advertisements

Since he still doesn't know what he wants to do, he should start at community college, and work on his general distribution requirements. He may find some subject matter during that process that really speaks to him. At that point, he could transfer to a 4-year college and live on campus. He could apply for work-study.

Depending on what state you're in, your state university might offer full non-loan financial aid. UPenn does this, Stanford University fully funds all expenses to those with economic need (if they qualify for admission), and other schools do this, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,747,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
He can get a bit of the full college experience by living with a roommate in an apartment near San Antonio College. SAC has about $26,000 students, so it's larger than some universities. He can work part-time in order to afford his share of the bills. The leftover Pell grant money (should be around $3,000 after tuition and books) should be enough to supplement his income.
Thanks, yes, SAC is where I got my first umpteen million credits before transferring to Texas State. He's considered this, especially with those new Tobin Lofts student housing units opening up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Since he still doesn't know what he wants to do, he should start at community college, and work on his general distribution requirements. He may find some subject matter during that process that really speaks to him. At that point, he could transfer to a 4-year college and live on campus. He could apply for work-study.

Depending on what state you're in, your state university might offer full non-loan financial aid. UPenn does this, Stanford University fully funds all expenses to those with economic need (if they qualify for admission), and other schools do this, too.
We're in Texas, and I haven't heard of any aid like that if it exists, unfortunately. I'm attending a state university myself and the non-loan aid is pretty limited.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:03 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
My son was in the same position and I would NOT take loans out for him since he had no direction. He went through CC without direction too but got an AA and the ability to transfer to a 4 year university, which he starts next month. He's already changed his mind about majors and STILL isn't committed so he will be living at home and commuting 18 miles to the nearest state school. I keep telling him that when/if he dedicates himself to something he can go wherever he wants, but I don't think he really does want to go off to a place he doesn't know anyone. Maybe he will meet some people and want to live in an apartment closer to campus, and maybe...just maybe...I'll help him do that. For a year.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
If your EFC is zero, have him look into schools that replace loans with grants and then he can live on campus and be debt free. Even if he takes the max student loans for a couple years to live on campus, that's $11,000 for 2 years of room, board, utilities, etc. He wouldn't have the expenses of driving to school each day either. It's probably pretty close to a wash cost wise if you run the numbers--savings on your utilities, food, gas, insurance, etc.

Have him try it for a semester or a year and if he doesn't like it, he can always move back home or off-campus.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM

412 posts, read 685,062 times
I say have him go the cc route and try to figure what he wants to do for the next 10+/- years. I don't say "for the rest of his life" because I believe that we can have multiple career directions within our lifetime. 2 years older than other students will not make a difference when transferring to a 4 year and possibly living on campus.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,915,194 times
i would suggest he take his general education classes at the community college and once he has a better idea of what he wants, he can then transfer to a 4 year. the whole college in dorm experience imo, is meant for the 18-20 year old and is meant to sort of guide them into the world where they aren't dependent on their family.

seeing that hes been self sufficient in the sense he pays his bills and helps around the house, i dont think getting a dorm is worth it. at that point once he atleast earn an associates degree in whatever, ie, general studies he is one step above from where he was from two years prior.

if he then wants to live away from you, then hes going to need to work and find a roommate and go from there. but thats my opinion.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Since he's so iffy I'd go the CC route for the 2 year degree. No sense racking up huge debt if if doesn't work out.
Student loans are "forever".

That's what my son is doing as well. He also was a late bloomer and is still undecided about what he wants to do.
But he's not living at home. He works p/t and has a roommate and is a part time student. He's doing the 2 year degree program that transfers to a 4 year college. He's still taking the core classes that all students must take. I told him to use his electives to explore what area he might want to work in.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,518,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
We can talk about this in a general theoretical way but I'm posting the question specifically with my son in mind, in terms of advising him.

He is 21 and you could call him a late bloomer. He graduated HS but has struggled with "what to do" and has gone back and forth with regards to whether or not he wants to go to college, get a four year degree, complete a 2 year vocational program, etc. He's even talked about maybe joining the military. In the meantime he works, lives at home, contributes to the household, but as far as plans, seems kind of "stuck".

I don't have an issue with him living at home, like I said, he contributes, so let's not get sidetracked with that.

Long story short; there is no college fund for him. I am a full time student myself, he will qualify for the full Pell grant and have an EFC of zero. Lately he has been talking about wanting to go to school and live on campus but he is still not sure of his long term educational plans. Personally, I never had that experience and always wished I had but life took a different turn (in the form of having my son) when I was 20 and my college education was put on hold for a good 16 years.

For my son, choosing to live on campus will definitely mean SOME loans. Choosing a community college option instead will mean he can live at home and not have to borrow. Pell will cover it all for him and he won't have to work as much while in school either.

As much as I, personally, romanticize the "traditional college experience" (because I never had it), as someone who went to CC then transferred it is hard for me to see how that experience outweighs the financial realities; the CC price tag is about 1/4 even the lowest cost state school here. Just seems to make the most sense for those first 2 years of gen ed/core classes. It kills me to pay the tuition I pay now after having transferred, especially when it comes to some classes I realize I could have taken at the CC but did not and now I am taking the same exact courses for 4x the money.

The CC option, for full time (15 hours), is about $2000 per academic year and my tuition at the four year school is $9100. With articulation agreements, everything he takes will transfer so that's not a concern as long as he doesn't do what I did (took too many CC hours because of indecision).

So, I have advised him to consider the CC route for now, especially since he is not sure what he plans to do, and then if he has solid plans in a couple of years that include a four year degree, and he hasn't decided on a vocational sort of program instead, he could still opt to do the on-campus thing at that point as a transfer student. Is this a bad idea though? He'd be 23 at that point. I mean, it is all up to him but he is asking me what I think so... I guess he could always transfer, live on campus, then if he hates it or decides it's not worth the money he can change his plans.

More than worth it! Marginal students seem to do best while living on campus and away from friends. The same friends who did not help them to succeed in high school and have not succeeded yet.

Living in a dorm where everyone is there for the same reason, makes studying that much easier.

Male students finish college more frequently when they live on campus than off.

If he does not finish, then it will really be a waste!

Sally, I am sending you a direct message. This is *important*. Think long term!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
More than worth it! Marginal students seem to do best while living on campus and away from friends. The same friends who did not help them to succeed in high school and have not succeeded yet.

Living in a dorm where everyone is there for the same reason, makes studying that much easier.

Male students finish college more frequently when they live on campus than off.

If he does not finish, then it will really be a waste!

Sally, I am sending you a direct message. This is *important*. Think long term!
I'm not so sure about that.

I would have done WAY better the first two years if I lived at home instead of in the dorms. Physically, it wasn't possible, but, theoretically...

Dorms are filled with booze, pot, the opposite sex and your first taste of freedom. And this was at what is known as an academically rigorous school. It's worse at other colleges.

Sure, there were other students who were more level headed and mature than me, but they'd have done just as well if they lived at home, physically away from the distractions, instead of trying to ignore them.

I'd go as far as to say if I had lived at home the first 2 years and had my parents on my a@@ about schoolwork, I'd have a completely different career and be making a lot more $.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,656,717 times
Two of my sons have ADD. They were "C" students. We did a lot of research and hired an independent educational consultant. She wasn't cheap but defiantly worth it.

She showed us stats on mediocre students performance in community colleges and the attrition rate. It was very high.

We sent them to four year colleges with strong programs in subjects that interested them. Both turned into good to excellent students. The colleges had strong support systems for ADD students.

Each had averages in the 3.00s after only two semesters and one transferred to a name university.

We are sure this would never have happened at a community college. Not a chance. We also did not buy them cars. They made friends we like for the first time in years.
Self esteem way up. Both better organized and highly motivated.

Now two and three years in? One is taking GREs and the other wants to go to grad school. They are mature and independent also.

Skip community college. It's worth the investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities