Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 12:34 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
It is rare, but not that unheard of depending on the program. The Baruch full-time MBA program has several GA positions available. If your application is strong enough, you don't even have to apply for it, it's included in your acceptance letter.
yes i (too late ) adjusted my response to note depts differ on this

since MBA is terminal, i can see why it would be a special case

but for any programs where there is also a PhD offered through the grad center, it is most likely unavailable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,792 times
I didn't realize the OP's list was all CUNY schools. Limiting to one system is going to limit your funding chances, regardless of level. I was actually thinking of Iowa, where the regent schools do not give full tuition reimbursement for TA/RA, as an example of a case where you simply would have to go into debt without external funding.

The real solution is to expand the grad school search. Since the OP has no "real" job right now, it should not be that huge an issue to travel across the country to take a fully funded offer. As well, do not rule out a PhD. At least for academic programs, a lot of departments and schools just accept straight into PhD rather than requiring an MA/MS first.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:58 PM

259 posts, read 368,734 times
Is your profile correct that your location in Maryland?

The institutions you all listed are public. CUNY tuition is relatively inexpensive...if you have established residency in New York State. I would guess the case would be similar for GMU (establishing Virginia residency).

I believe you have to had established residency in NYS for at least a year to qualify for in-state tuition at a CUNY school. It would be in your interest to establish that before entering the program if you want to mitigate the amount of debt.

Cost of living in the DC area and the COL in NYC area are high. Are you going to be attending school full-time or will you attend part-time (and presumably work)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I'm still trying to figure how I'm going to do this. There are a few schools I'm interested in, but I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pay the tuition if I get accepted. I'm planning to apply for the Spring 2014 sessions at George Mason, Brooklyn College, Baruch College, and the City college of New York.

I haven't really research the schools yet as far as popularity, but at this point I'm just trying to do my masters. The very last option I'll have will be to take on more loans but I haven't even started paying my Undergrad loan and it's been 2 years since I graduated. I can't find a "normal" job and also, I really want to work in the field that I like. I'm just tired of dead end jobs.

Any idea how I can pay the tuition without being in debt? I know I can work while in school, but I'll definitely need a good paying job to pay it out of pocket.

I really don't know what to do. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:24 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,982,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
I believe you have to had established residency in NYS for at least a year to qualify for in-state tuition at a CUNY school
this is correct. to add, they will request either a copy of your lease with the start date or a NYS driver's license with issue date to establish the start of residency

they might also accept other paperwork, but i can't remember. it's probably on the web somewhere

Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
this is correct. to add, they will request either a copy of your lease with the start date or a NYS driver's license with issue date to establish the start of residency

they might also accept other paperwork, but i can't remember. it's probably on the web somewhere
They do. I had to do this when I took grad classes at CUNY. I was living at home and of course the lease was not in my name; it was in my parents' names. My mom had to sign paperwork (which had to be notarized) that I was living with her.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 PM

874 posts, read 1,659,479 times
Great topic, OP! I'm also thinking about grad school, but the thought of adding more debt really dissuades me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The real solution is to expand the grad school search. Since the OP has no "real" job right now, it should not be that huge an issue to travel across the country to take a fully funded offer. As well, do not rule out a PhD. At least for academic programs, a lot of departments and schools just accept straight into PhD rather than requiring an MA/MS first.
I might be missing something here, but why would should the OP go for a PhD, if he or she only really wants the Master's to improve his or her job prospects? I always thought that PhD's were for people that wanted to do research or teach and not for people that wanted to make themselves more marketable for the non-academic job market.

Is it possible to go for a PhD and then stop before you get the PhD and have everything be paid for? I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I might be missing something here, but why would should the OP go for a PhD, if he or she only really wants the Master's to improve his or her job prospects? I always thought that PhD's were for people that wanted to do research or teach and not for people that wanted to make themselves more marketable for the non-academic job market.
I just said not to rule it out.
I know there are some fields where a masters is going to make you more marketable than a PhD, but in most fields a PhD is more marketable. Also, if you don't want to do research, then a masters might not be the way to make yourself more marketable. The whole point of hiring people with masters degrees is to get someone who can do research. (I am differentiating here from a professional masters degree, like an MBA, which really only shares a name with an academic masters degree.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
Is it possible to go for a PhD and then stop before you get the PhD and have everything be paid for? I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.
You will just be leaving without a degree then though. You don't get a consolation masters degree. In some cases a program will award you a terminal masters instead of a PhD if you are unable to complete the PhD program. If you are just quitting though, they won't.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
I just said not to rule it out.
I know there are some fields where a masters is going to make you more marketable than a PhD, but in most fields a PhD is more marketable. Also, if you don't want to do research, then a masters might not be the way to make yourself more marketable. The whole point of hiring people with masters degrees is to get someone who can do research. (I am differentiating here from a professional masters degree, like an MBA, which really only shares a name with an academic masters degree.)

You will just be leaving without a degree then though. You don't get a consolation masters degree. In some cases a program will award you a terminal masters instead of a PhD if you are unable to complete the PhD program. If you are just quitting though, they won't.
There are some cases when a student does leave a doctoral program with a "consolation master's", but I wouldn't count on that.

Some people do reach ABD (All But Dissertation) status and never quite finish for whatever reason.

Due to changes in the academic job market, someone who gets a doctorate might want to consider pursing a career outside of academe anyway. Reportedly there are fewer tenure-track position openings, and there is a trend to hire adjuncts instead of full-time instructors anyway.

A doctorate may be more marketable than a master's...if one is strategic about it.

Getting back to the concerns mentioned by the OP, in general there are more funding opportunities for doctoral students than for master's students. If the OP can dedicate at least 4 or 5 years to this pursuit, it may be a viable option.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,546,351 times
Quote:
, if you don't want to do research, then a masters might not be the way to make yourself more marketable. The whole point of hiring people with masters degrees is to get someone who can do research. (I am differentiating here from a professional masters degree, like an MBA, which really only shares a name with an academic masters degree.)
Would you consider MS Engineering degrees to be academic? I would, and most people don't purse engineering graduate degrees to do research. For many fields and disciplines, Masters degrees are pursued to gain a greater depth of understanding in a particular specialization or topic, and that greater depth of understanding is often an advantage in industry.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM

I honestly know very little about applied science graduate programs. The few people I know with applied science masters degrees, though, ended up with industry jobs where research and writing was expected of them. I would classify most engineering project work as applied research though, and any proposal as research writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities