Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is paying extra for education at a private institution worth it?
Yes 2 7.41%
No 7 25.93%
Depends on the circumstance 18 66.67%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM

102,300 posts, read 108,407,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
My (California) son applied to both private and publics. With scholarships his cost of attendance at privates were just a bit below the UC's (UC's cost of attendance is about 33K), and several thousands above the CSU's.
California is a good example. The top-tier public universities are outstanding. Some of the private schools are, too. Not all state universities are on a par with California's, though. The advantage of state schools IMO is that they have much broader course offerings, and more majors to choose from. Small private schools can be very stifling in that regard. Some students need a wide variety of options to explore in order to find something that really speaks to them.

The OP is in Seattle. I'd choose the UW hands down, but I know people who really enjoyed their experience at Seattle University. So much depends on the individual, and the quality of the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 12:54 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,148,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I apologize for appearing so vague but essentially I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not they hold private schools in higher regard (in general), than public colleges universities. Obviously there are many factors to consider depending on what schools are in the question, but I am asking this question in very general terms. In my specific situation, I am leaving the state of Florida to go to Seattle for college with the hopes of utilizing the urban environment to get my career on the road. I am not particularly enamored with any school in Florida and also don't see much vibrant industry in the area, so I figured seattle u would be a good choice. However, my parents will unfortunately be paying a pretty significant amount for this and I don't want to feel like the money is going to waste.

Also, what is wrong with the way I worded the poll?
Unless my kid could get into a 25 school or very notable liberal arts institution, then they'd be going to state school.

And if I lived in a state with a better state school like UF-Gainesville, then I probably wouldn't let them leave unless the school was HYPSM.

Obviously this is just my opinion. But you asked...

Quote:
My (California) son applied to both private and publics. With scholarships his cost of attendance at privates were just a bit below the UC's (UC's cost of attendance is about 33K), and several thousands above the CSU's.
33K must be the total cost with Room and Board and assuming your son is going to live like a man in his mid 30s. 22K a year for cost of living is about what I pay.

The question is which privates were they? Almost all of the UCs have a very good academic reputation.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,391,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
33K must be the total cost with Room and Board and assuming your son is going to live like a man in his mid 30s. 22K a year for cost of living is about what I pay.

The question is which privates were they? Almost all of the UCs have a very good academic reputation.
33K is total cost of attendance at the UC's (for in-state residency). The 30K scholarship was from Whitman (in Washington State), it was preliminary (and listed on our financial aid form), and I do believe it would have been decreased (initial profile paperwork had my daughter, his twin, listed as planning to attend a 4-year college @ 25K per year. She changed her mind and decided to go to Community College, so Whitman most likely would have assumed that money was available to cover some of his costs at their college). He already accepted another college (the one he considered his 1st choice ) by the time we received financial aid information from the other colleges and didn't go to the UC's or Whitman.

Edited to add - Whitman was interested in him (for athletics, plus he's high academic). He had ongoing talks with their coach from the time he submitted his application.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
She changed her mind and decided to go to Community College, so Whitman most likely would have assumed that money was available to cover some of his costs at their college).

That's an extremely good option in CA. Berkeley, UCLA, and UCSD accepts boatloads of Community College transfers every year, including many that they had already accepted 2 years before.

Paying for 2 years of CC + 2 years of UC tuition and coming away with a UCLA degree = smart.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:53 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,829,954 times
Can't even answer this question in general terms. It's just too broad to yield a meaningful answer.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
33K is total cost of attendance at the UC's (for in-state residency). .
You're right. It does come out to about 33K. Once again, UCs being honest.

UC Davis : Tuition and Fees

That's crazy when you think you think you're going to drop 132K over 4 years to send your kid to a state school.

Wow. The cost of college is so high these days, I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

If you read some of the salaries from the high school grads in the Work Section, I really do.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:00 PM

505 posts, read 766,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
Generally speaking, private schools cost more than state schools. There are exceptions, but it's not the norm.
The sticker price for a private school is usually higher but what a specific family pays after discounts, scholarships, and aid is often comparable between public and private.

Re your original question, I don't think you can make a blanket statement about whether "public" or "private" is better. You have to look at the specific schools in question and also the individual student and their interests.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Generally, quality private schools have better financial aid packages than public schools. You want to go to a top school for your field. That can be at either a public or private school.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:05 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Wow. The cost of college is so high these days, I'm wondering if it's really worth it.

If you read some of the salaries from the high school grads in the Work Section, I really do
And, yet, still relatively cheap. It's sad how you correlate academia and higher education to salaries.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 PM

2,248 posts, read 3,391,895 times
Quote:
You're right. It does come out to about 33K. Once again, UCs being honest.

UC Davis : Tuition and Fees

That's crazy when you think you think you're going to drop 132K over 4 years to send your kid to a state school.

If you read some of the salaries from the high school grads in the Work Section, I really do.
Yes, but the UC's have wonderful aid if you qualify for it - their Blue & Gold Program. http://admission.universityofcalifor...eet_11_Eng.pdf

Plug in your numbers to estimate what you would receive for each UC (right hand side) Financial aid | UC Admissions

It's great for families with income under 80K who have typical assets. Unfortunately, we don't qualify for aid, but for those who do it's an enormous help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities