Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,033,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
20K? Rutgers coa is $31K this year. Still not the near quarter millions quoted but still quite a bit more than $20k.
I encouraged my D to follow her dreams. She made several excellent colleges but felt the Fashion Institute was where she wanted to go. As part of SUNY, being NY residents her tuition, R&B, fees and books ran about $21k. She could have picked a private college, a few offered scholarships that would have been competitive in price to the public. Some schools offered not much at all.

Regardless of public or private, a rock solid GPA and top notch SAT's are a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
I encouraged my D to follow her dreams. She made several excellent colleges but felt the Fashion Institute was where she wanted to go. As part of SUNY, being NY residents her tuition, R&B, fees and books ran about $21k. She could have picked a private college, a few offered scholarships that would have been competitive in price to the public. Some schools offered not much at all.

Regardless of public or private, a rock solid GPA and top notch SAT's are a must.
That's case with Grand Canyon University in Arizona. It is private but offers a LOT of scholarships that allow it to be competitive with the public institutions of Arizona (ASU, NAU & UofA.) If it doesn't cost less, it costs about the same as going to a public university of Arizona.

I agree good grades and SATs are important. I remember my SATs not being good enough for SUNY Brockport but being fine for SUNY Oswego (where I actually went for my freshman year before transferring to a community college in NY and then on in AZ after moving.) I know the issue for me was from about the 9th grade until around the middle of 11/the beginning of 12th grade, I lost the fire. I wasn't motivated because I didn't have to study, I had recall and could regurgitate what the teacher said in say history or talk about plot points and the allegory in stories or the steps in a math problem so I would pass the state tests like it was nothing. I was complacent because I would be able to pull stuff out and get answers right. I didn't have the motivation in any subject but math. Even math I was sour on in 10th grade due to a teacher that expected me to come see her because I had trouble with remembering how to divide a fraction while my brother who also was great in math was at home the first day of class. Gee I either stop and don't do any homework because it was the first few problems and goto "extra help" at 7:00 AM or have my brother help me at home wit the one question, I can finish it up in say 10/15 more minutes and be done with it. Oh what would I do?

Had I realized that it was important for college and that, MAYBE I would have been better. My parents didn't really talk about college with me until senior year just like my brother. I had no direction until I took a contemporary business course for 12th grade rather than economics and government.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:05 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,499,525 times
Grand Canyon University was a financial failure not too long ago and sold itself to a for-profit, education company.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,535,227 times
I've seen this thread before...

Old 08-05-2013, 02:15 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,968,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Grand Canyon University was a financial failure not too long ago and sold itself to a for-profit, education company.
That maybe true but I never really heard a bad thing about it and I know quite a few people that are either going there or went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities