Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:46 PM

33 posts, read 37,273 times

Advertisements

When I posted the question, I am open minded So your point is well taken. We will consider all responses, this is just like a mini poll, but it will be a weighted poll.
Just have a question here, what's your suggestion for insurance? It could be comparable to car value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That's not true that a decent car needs to cost ten thousand dollars! Buy her a $5000 car for transportation. If you can afford it, pay cash.

That way you are not taking back the gift that you promised her. When she is employed at a full time job, she can trade in the $5000 car for one she likes better.

Just get her basic transportation.

I know you are not going to like this idea, but she did graduate from college and if she wants to "take a year off" and she has a college degree, she has accomplished something.
Try giving her a little space.

Just a year as she requested. And a $5000 car will be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:19 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40orso View Post
When I posted the question, I am open minded So your point is well taken. We will consider all responses, this is just like a mini poll, but it will be a weighted poll.
Just have a question here, what's your suggestion for insurance? It could be comparable to car value.

In most states she only needs liability. I think in every state. If she wants collision, let her pay for it on her own.

If you decide to take my suggestion, tell her that is is for ONE YEAR, and one year only.
Then you will reassess with her, what her options are. This might work if you really back off. No nagging at all.

If it makes you feel any better, many students today do not finish college in four years. In fact, off hand I think that at least 50% do not, depending upon the college.

She is still in the approximately 30% of Americans with a four year college degree, so you do have reason to be proud of her.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:06 PM

In this mini poll, your opinion is more dominant. I will certainly take serious consideration. But so far I have yet to confirm she does get her degree after finishing last course last week in the degree audit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
In most states she only needs liability. I think in every state. If she wants collision, let her pay for it on her own.

If you decide to take my suggestion, tell her that is is for ONE YEAR, and one year only.
Then you will reassess with her, what her options are. This might work if you really back off. No nagging at all.

If it makes you feel any better, many students today do not finish college in four years. In fact, off hand I think that at least 50% do not, depending upon the college.

She is still in the approximately 30% of Americans with a four year college degree, so you do have reason to be proud of her.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,985,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40orso View Post
She told us, that we do not need to care about her, other than giving her a car.
this sounds really entitled to me. "other than giving her a car". as if that's a mere afterthought. she should appreciate such a generous start to her working life. jeez

certainly, *if* you give her the car, put down some conditions as posters here have suggested. and consider that many students don't get cars just for graduating

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,834,812 times
Default Congratulations

You daughter is no longer "Asian American", but is now just "American".
She is demonstrating sponge-like tendencies.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:08 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,886 times
she wants YOU to give her what she wants, yet then claims to essentially say to her own family, to leave her alone? and for a year?

i say kick her to the curb and let her realize how hard life is when mom and dad isn't there to help. i know i'm thankful for all my own have made, even if we argued a lot.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 AM

24 posts, read 52,386 times
Your daughter is facing a tough economic climate. The extent to which you "should" help her with a car depends a lot on factors readers here can't possibly know about. But if you can afford to help her with a car-if it won't cause you hardship, it may help her get on her feet. She needs help with establishing some direction in her life. As someone else noted, if she went to a public college, taking 5 years is not unusual because it is often hard to get required courses when you need them-and that can hold students up. A discussion about how she can find some better direction in her life may be just what she needs-and you can pair that with expectations you have about the car and its use.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Yes, we try to put nice face again but with little teeth on it, we will offer a condition giving that she must commit her effort.
You're right in public college many students can't register some requested courses but she wasn't one of them as I implied in my open post. She is voluntarily skipping for another year.
Again I appreciate all of your commentings in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeiteasy View Post
Your daughter is facing a tough economic climate. The extent to which you "should" help her with a car depends a lot on factors readers here can't possibly know about. But if you can afford to help her with a car-if it won't cause you hardship, it may help her get on her feet. She needs help with establishing some direction in her life. As someone else noted, if she went to a public college, taking 5 years is not unusual because it is often hard to get required courses when you need them-and that can hold students up. A discussion about how she can find some better direction in her life may be just what she needs-and you can pair that with expectations you have about the car and its use.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
I would buy her a old $2,000 car and when she wants better than she can work for it.

I wouldn't let her take a year off. Are you going to be paying for her to go out and put gas in the car. Never mind if she has a cell phone and car insurance can be pretty expensive.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:57 PM

She said she only asked a car, then she will take care by herself, but I even don't how she is going to pay the insurance since she isn't 25 years old yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I would buy her a old $2,000 car and when she wants better than she can work for it.

I wouldn't let her take a year off. Are you going to be paying for her to go out and put gas in the car. Never mind if she has a cell phone and car insurance can be pretty expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities