Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 02:59 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,489,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Um, economics at Princeton?
I haven't looked at what Princeton offers, but economics is a social science, thus, liberal arts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:47 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,914 times
The therapies: Speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy

Old 09-07-2013, 07:58 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,441,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Major in something you like and enjoy and figure out how to make a living doing that.
Major in something to make a living an figure out how do to things you like.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,355,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Major in something to make a living an figure out how do to things you like.
What a horrid way to live your life....

Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 AM

810 posts, read 1,809,723 times
Oh goody, another "STEM vs. Everything Else." debate.

For the record, I have a liberal arts degree, but I am gainfully employed. I got to where I am by using the degree I got in conjunction with volunteer work and internships. I also gained job searching skills by reading a couple books, blogs and by talking to people who have worked in HR and in hiring fields. I learned how to tailor my resume, write a cover letter that highlights how I can adapt my academic and volunteering background to fit the needs of the job I am applying for, and I make sure to research the company prior to an interview so I can show them just how I can meet the demands that come out of said position.

What annoys me about people who write things like, "Hurr durr shut up and make my coffee decaf," or "People who don't major in STEM are the stupid and like to party for four years," is that I feel like they are more interested in engaging in schadenfreude to elevate themselves as opposed to actually offering advice to struggling college graduates. I actually tried going into a STEM field for a year and a half, but even though I was doing all the homework, completing all the study guides and visiting my professors during all of their office hours, I struggled and was told that STEM was simply not a good fit for me. No, I didn't choose Liberal Arts because I wanted to party for four years, and I worked extremely hard to get my degree and to get where I am today.

So stop with all the assumptions about the motivations of Liberal Arts graduates, stop taking cheap jabs and lame insults at the expense of struggling college graduates, and stop with the pompous elevation. I think it says far more about the character of somebody who looks down at an underemployed graduate.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I haven't looked at what Princeton offers, but economics is a social science, thus, liberal arts.
Yes is is liberal arts. Which is not STEM.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
The therapies: Speech therapy, physical therapy, and occupational therapy
All are graduate degrees. PT is a doctorate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities