Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,992,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Maven View Post
Glad to know that someone else in this conversation thread once took an Incomplete.
you missed the part where she said she was grateful despite it taking eight months

it's amazing to see it all typed out in a thread. the inner monologue - the twists and turns and self pity and leaps of false logic - that allows someone to completely drop the ball and then blame someone else without taking responsibility whatsoever

i'm all for taking mental health seriously and trying to accommodate it. but you're not accepting your role in this at all. some of your points - suing?!?!? - are ridiculous and poster after poster here has pointed out the holes in your story

if the prof has been there thirty years, she's seen dozens or even hundreds of INCs. your situation is not special. this deadline isn't there for your convenience, it's to help administrate thousands of students

again, you are not special and it's ridiculous for you to expect special treatment here. the university has already tried to help by giving an INC instead of an F, you should be happy about that and try to work with them in a civil, constructive manner instead of this ridiculous nonsense

Last edited by OdysseusNY; 09-11-2013 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Right, cause we wouldn't want them to loose their university job and try to earn a living outside the class room.
there are professors who abuse tenure and others for whom it's absolutely warranted

if you can read this thread and assume it's a case of the former then you're not paying attention. if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I'd say 1 or 2 is generous. I've given two in my whole life, and in my department we just don't give them anymore at all (there may be some way to do it in truly exceptional cases, but we'd have to convince the chair first). Also, the only 2 I gave ended up failing the class because even with the extra time they didn't get the work done.
that's a great policy

i dealt with about 5, of which one student was excellent and truly just overwhelmed and handed in great work for an A a month or two after the semester. two disappeared off the face of the earth, one is retaking the course (i think), and the last guy shows up semester after semester during finals week, looking to hand in some nonsense plagiarized off the web and get an easy pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Yeah, I know I would have, heck I would have just failed the OP instead. I don't give mercy anything
that's the best way to go. some departments don't shield instructors well enough from nonsense that can ensue when spoiled, entitled students get an F though. especially if they are trying to keep enrollment up to supplement budget shortcomings

Old 09-11-2013, 10:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,388,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post
you missed the part where he said he was grateful despite it taking eight months
I'm a she, but you're right...I think that point was missed. I did not anticipate nor did I receive an immediate resolution to the INC. It took a while, and the professor was under no obligation to go out of her way and spend her free time dealing with me. She allowed me to complete the work in the manner most convenient for her, which was for me to sit through the class again the following semester as an auditor and do the assignments...all of them, not just what I missed...with the rest of the class.

I thought then and still think now that it was reasonable, and preferable to the D or F I might have gotten if I hadn't gone this route. Also, my personal stakes were not as high as the OP's; the breakdown occurred near the end of spring semester of my junior year and the INC wasn't cleared until just before the spring semester of my senior year started.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,245,180 times
Quote:
Thanks. I agree completely.\
You can agree with him all you want but his "advice" has absolutely no legal basis. You do not have grounds to sue over this. I wish you the best of luck (I am also dealing with bureaucracy that is preventing my teacher's license) but get the idea of lawsuits out of your head, there is zero ground for that in this instance and only serves to anger you and distract you from real solutions.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,013,720 times
If I were the professor and I received a summons that I was being sued, I would be turning in a grade faster than you can imagine. It would be an F.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,597,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusNY View Post

that's the best way to go. some departments don't shield instructors well enough from nonsense that can ensue when spoiled, entitled students get an F though. especially if they are trying to keep enrollment up to supplement budget shortcomings
All too true. One of my 2 incompletes that turned into an F had her father call and harass my supervisor until he turned the F into a W (withdrawal) so it looked like she had never taken the course at all.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,597,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you cannot handle student teaching and class one night each week yet you think you are prepared and completely able to handle a class room full of children?

My son in law student taught, got his masters, attended class, had two babies (one who almost died shortly after birth), logged many sleepless nights at the hospital with the wee one, went through a major surgery with the wee one with many more sleepless nights at the hospital, AND...........
got his PHd in Mathematics and is currently Head Chair of the Mathematics department at a huge University after being there less than 8 years and he is 33 years old.....
That's the hard lesson in life and one the OP hasn't learned yet (and one most of us don't learn until it's way too late) - there are no excuses in life.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:28 PM

809 posts, read 1,334,893 times
Quote:
There were quite a few education related jobs that I qualify for with just a masters degree that I can't apply for.

But a friend of mine with a masters told me to start applying for those same types of jobs, and put "in progress" after my M.A. in Education on my resume so that school principals know the situation. I thought that was good advice.

I'm not even bothered by having failed my student teaching anymore. I just want the masters degree at ths point because I can still work in schools in some capacity with the masters degree.
I am very curious as to what type of jobs are available in a school that you need a masters degree not but the teaching degree. Please let me know. Thank you!

Old 09-12-2013, 04:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,443,483 times
Quote:
Thanks. I agree completely. There were quite a few education related jobs that I qualify for with just a masters degree that I can't apply for until my professor turns in my grade. Even my university's transcript coordinator commented on that fact when I spoke to her on the phone on Monday about my situation.

But a friend of mine with a masters told me to start applying for those same types of jobs, and put "in progress" after my M.A. in Education on my resume so that school principals know the situation. I thought that was good advice.

I'm sure my professor may be irked that I had to contact my dept chair (chain of command unfortunately for student complaints) about this situation, but too bad. All she had to do was turn in my grade. She's holding up my ability to apply for education related jobs. I did contact an education lawyer via email who told me I would need to contact my state's board of education first. But for now I'm forced to go through my own university's chain of command.

I'm not even bothered by having failed my student teaching anymore. I just want the masters degree at ths point because I can still work in schools in some capacity with the masters degree.
Your student teaching was part of your master's program though...how are you going to get awarded your degree when you flunked a HUGE portion of your program???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities