Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:11 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,737,608 times

Advertisements

No way to go around it unless the school thinks you're amazing and offers to give you a scholarship to knock your tuition down to in-state levels. Some states also have very expensive in-state tuition where out-of-state tuition in another state is very similar. My college had a lot of New Jersey kids because of that.

what about a closer look at your in-state options or moving somewhere, working there for a while, and then completing a masters after you're a resident?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 06:22 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
What kind of grad school? For professional programs, you are often stuck with out of state tuition.

For academic programs, it is normally extremely easy to get an in-state tuition scholarship that at least lowers the cost of tuition from out of state levels to in-state levels. These types of scholarships are often automatic with an RA or TA, even if the RA/TA itself does not give full tuition remission (many do).
TA/GSI/GA don't give scholarships. The money you are given has nothing to do with your studies. They give stipends in exchange for your work and they pay tuition.
Some also give you automatic in-state tuition (school-by-school basis, not department by department).

A full-time Grad Assistant position would cover 100% tuition. Part time positions pro-rate.

My last year of grad school, I had 2 Grad Assistant positions. The department of Management had 2 FT positions. They hired 4 50% appointments. The department of Finance had 2 FT positions. They hired 4 50% appointments. Together, I was full time. That covered tuition and paid me a $4000 stipend per semester (paid in 16 weekly checks in 2005/6).

Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I'm contemplating Grad school next year but in several different states.

The issue of course will be the out of state tuition, which I certainly don't want to pay. Is there any school at all in the U.S., that doesn't require you to pay a Non Resident tuition?

What do people usually do in this situation? I know friends who went for their undergrad in a different states but that probably meant their parents had to pay out of state tuition for them-unless there is a way to go around that?

What about Grad school?

I'm actually considering grad school in Europe at this point, as it is way cheaper.
By the time many people go to grad school they are considered independent adults and as such are eligible for higher student loans. I don't know too many parents that pay for grad school. This article may help: Filing the FAFSA: Graduate school edition | Credit Union Student Loans

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,904 times
I know some schools offer in-state tuition to students from nearby states in an attempt to boost enrollment. I grew up in Ohio, and I remember Eastern Michigan University sending me information offering in-state tuition despite not living in Michigan.

There probably aren't too many schools that offer this, but it might be worth looking at the schools in boarding states.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:33 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,771,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
TA/GSI/GA don't give scholarships. The money you are given has nothing to do with your studies. They give stipends in exchange for your work and they pay tuition.
Some also give you automatic in-state tuition (school-by-school basis, not department by department).

A full-time Grad Assistant position would cover 100% tuition. Part time positions pro-rate.

My last year of grad school, I had 2 Grad Assistant positions. The department of Management had 2 FT positions. They hired 4 50% appointments. The department of Finance had 2 FT positions. They hired 4 50% appointments. Together, I was full time. That covered tuition and paid me a $4000 stipend per semester (paid in 16 weekly checks in 2005/6).
Depends on the school. I went to Oregon State where a TA/RA automatically gave you a scholarship knocking you down to in-state tuition regardless of the level of the appointment. The department then covered in-state tuition. It was really only an accounting issue, but it made an enormous difference to students who had to drop an assistantship (you kept the scholarship) and to the departments, who could stretch external funding farther to offer more TA/RA positions.
At the same time, what you did with multiple assignments was strictly forbidden at Oregon State. No one could exceed a cumulative total of 49% for their appointments (which was full tuition + $8,400/quarter when I was there in 2007). I think this had a lot to do with the grad assistants being unionized there.

On the opposite end, I did my undergrad at Iowa (also unionized) where a full 50% RA still only paid 25% of in-state tuition. You had to pay the rest out of your stipend, if you had one.

All of which is why you apply to multiple schools and compare the offers. Oregon State was not actually my best offer in money, but it was the best offer in academic freedom and had the best match between money and cost of living.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,771,239 times
Quote:
It's going to be a masters in Economics. What kind of scholarships?
Did you major in Economics as an undergrad? If so, go back and ask your professors to explain what the norms are for your field in terms of graduate path (some fields expect you to skip masters and go straight to PhD, others do not even normally have a PhD), recruitment of grad candidates (do fellowships exist, are offers typically full tuition with high stipends, or are students expected to pay their own way), and assistantships (are GA/RA positions common, or does every TA).

You will want to have a good talk with your professors anyway, because you will need letters of recommendation. The better they know you, the better letter they can write.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:29 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,386,653 times
The only way to get in state tuition is to get residency status. Or find ways to get scholarships/fellowships/TAs as others have mentioned.

I moved to the state I wanted to go to grad school the summer before I was going to start. I got my state drivers license in the new state, bought a beater car, got it registered in that state, set up bank accounts etc. I also had a part time job that I started. I took two classes in the fall semester, and then applied for the graduate program in the Spring. I remember not getting a tuition bill, and all of the other students were frantically getting things together, so I checked at the registars office, and they said they did not know how to bill me, and I petitioned for in-state tuition. AND I got it. I am glad I had all of my documentation in place in the state I was planning to go to grad school, because that helped a ton. Then for my last year, I got a stipend that paid half-tuition, plus $600 a month.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
No way to go around it unless the school thinks you're amazing and offers to give you a scholarship to knock your tuition down to in-state levels. Some states also have very expensive in-state tuition where out-of-state tuition in another state is very similar. My college had a lot of New Jersey kids because of that.

what about a closer look at your in-state options or moving somewhere, working there for a while, and then completing a masters after you're a resident?
Good post--this is the old standby---work in your adopted state, attain "in-state" residence, and then apply. The length of time may vary from state to state, but it's usually at least one year..

Old 09-25-2013, 11:58 AM

9,298 posts, read 14,916,355 times
New England has a program for residents of all NE states that gives tuition breaks when a local major is not available:
Overview : New England Board of Higher Education

Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
I'm contemplating Grad school next year but in several different states.

The issue of course will be the out of state tuition, which I certainly don't want to pay. Is there any school at all in the U.S., that doesn't require you to pay a Non Resident tuition?

What do people usually do in this situation? I know friends who went for their undergrad in a different states but that probably meant their parents had to pay out of state tuition for them-unless there is a way to go around that?

What about Grad school?

I'm actually considering grad school in Europe at this point, as it is way cheaper.
A state university in your home state is the least expensive way to go. People who are accepted into PhD programs, are funded by the university. Usually a large, public research university. They are paid a stipend for teaching (TA) or research (RA) They pay the university nothing. They also receive medical insurance and other benefits. They do not pay tuition. If that is what you are interested in doing, the state does not matter. If they want you, they will pay you to do your graduate work there.

They also, *mostly* do not want graduates of their own undergrad program. Academic in-breading.

However, if you are interested in a terminal masters degree, especially in an applied field such as education, business administration, nursing, social work - I have not heard of a stipend ever being granted. I'm certain that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Occasionally, I have heard of people who were highly qualified and from an undergraduate program with more prestige that the master's program, getting assistantships, which reduce the cost of attendance at a masters program.

If you are not a prospective PhD student and you want to obtain a masters from an out of state school and the school offers no assistantships, you will pay out of state tuition and most likely, unless your parents are paying, will need student loans.

I agree with Katiana, not even marrying a person from that state will necessarily help you. Especially in states with a strong state university system, they will not budge on this.

Here is an example. A high school senior decides to attend an out of state "State University".
While in his first semester, his parents coincidentally, relocate to that state and purchase a home there.
They do not do this for the purpose of instate tuition, but see it as a benefit that will happen easily in the near future.

The parents close on their home and change their drivers licensees to their new state.

(The boy is horrified that the parents have "followed him", but gets over it eventually)

The following semester the student puts in for a change of address and tell the registrar that he is now an instate student. There is no adjustment to the tuition.

In fact, the following fall the tuition still remains the same.

Why? The rule in that state is that anyone seeking in state tuition must reside in that state for one calender year before the beginning of the semester.

So, the student whose parents closed on their home in October of 2012, was two months late for the beginning of the Fall semester to obtain instate tuition. It would have had to be August.

He will begin receiving it this Spring. Not a moment sooner. They are actually lucky,, because they did not move right into the house and they obtained drivers licenses in March. So March could have been he date since they were not employed in the state before then. Since they were paying property taxes, they got a pass. But it was far from automatic. There was an incredible amount of paperwork involved.

The student is my son.

Not every state is as strict. One full calender year is at the upper limit, in my experience. They are all serious about keeping the in state tuition strictly for instate students.

If there is a school that you are especially interested in attending, look into the requirements. It might be worth moving there, getting a drivers license and a job, there; and voting there.

There are not too many ways around this. It might have once been easy, but it no longer is.

A friend of mine who has a daughter who is interested in attending University of Michigan @ Ann Arbor, but lives in NY State asked half seriously, if she bought a foreclosed house in Detroit for $1500, would her daughter qualify for instate tuition?

No. She will not. She will graduate High School in NY. They will know, I am sure.

The OP might want to see if he lives near a state that gives discounts to bordering states, or counties that border on their own state.
I know that Ohio does that with certain counties in PA and WV and perhaps more on the western side.

If they do, others might as well.

Depending on the out of state school, tuition can come near to, or even exceed that of some private colleges. Private colleges are frequently better endowed, so you may want to look their.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities