Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:27 PM

399 posts, read 554,656 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm 18 year old student who is currently in college.
Next summer I am going to do transfer to University.
My choice where, University of Arizona and Arizona State.

The thing is that I am tired of living in Arizona, the heat is not even the worst thing. I have very bad allergies towards the dust here. I personally am ready to move out of there.

I was born in Eastern Europe.

What states do not charge out-of-state tuition?

I have had preferences towards the NorthEast Coast. (but that isn't a huge issue, I just have ethnic russian in me. That is why)
Would anybody know more info about this?

All help is appreciated.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:41 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Privet!

Heck, good question, my first response would be no for any state school, and private schools, well, it does not matter.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:11 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Minnesota is the only state the comes to mind.

California and Wyoming have really cheap (compared to other states) in-state tuition if you can wait and establish residency first.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Every state charges out-of-state tuition. Why should they not favor the taxpayers who pony up big dough to support their respective state university systems?

Contrary to K-Luv's assertion, Minnesota certainly does out-of-state tuition. The caveat is this: if you are from Wisconsin, North Dakota or South Dakota, Minnesota has reciprocal pacts with these states where they do not charge each other's residents full out-of-state tuition, though tuition for residents of pact-member states is still higher than in-state tuition.

Maybe similar pacts exist between Arizona and other states. It would behoove you to find out.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:23 AM

Minneapolis Community and Technical College did remove the higher fee posed onto non-resident students about a year or so ago as well as all other community and/or technical colleges throughout the state with the exception of maybe five (the state of Minnesota has a lot of technical and community colleges)

Other Minnesota colleges that offer the same tuition to both residents and non-residents include:

Bemidji State University both grad and undergrad, Minnesota State University-Moorehead both grad and undergrad, Southwest Minnesota State University both grad and undergrad, University of Minnesota at Crookston and University of Minnesota at Morris that I know of for sure.

I am also pretty positive that Macalester, University of St. Thomas, Hamline, St. John's, Ausburg, Bethal, Carleton College and St. Catherine all charge the same flat rate for both resident and non-resident. There are other schools that I am not mentioning as well. These are all private colleges that are pretty pricey to begin with, though.

I swore that the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities also did away with their non-resident tuition, but I guess that I was wrong on that one (by the way, I got that idea from their website about a year ago, I probably just read it wrong).

Old 06-15-2008, 06:52 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
In Tennessee the only way that out of state students can be considered for in state rates is if they are in a major that the students home state does not offer. For instance, Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) offers a major in Recording Studio Management (and similar Music Industry studies). Most states don't offer that and if a student from out of state has declared this as a major they are able to pay in state rates. The presumption is that the student is burdened with leaving their home state for college.

Good luck to the OP; have fun in college while you're learning something!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:23 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,750 times
Well if you were a resident of a southern state, you could pay one rate as per Academic Common Market/Regional Contract Program . However if you are interested in online classes, some of these schools offer online courses at a flat rate ( Electronic Campus - Select a College - E-learning through the Electronic Campus - Error and then check off "Electronic-Rate courses only" ).

Old 06-15-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
In Tennessee the only way that out of state students can be considered for in state rates is if they are in a major that the students home state does not offer. For instance, Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) offers a major in Recording Studio Management (and similar Music Industry studies). Most states don't offer that and if a student from out of state has declared this as a major they are able to pay in state rates. The presumption is that the student is burdened with leaving their home state for college.
That is one of the reasons why I moved from Minneapolis to Maine, even though the University of Minnesota at Duluth offers my major. I don't get the in-state tuition rate, but my tuition is severely less then it would have been if I paid full non-resident.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:44 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
How are your grades? If you keep them up, it might be possible to get a scholarship to a private school via transfer. However, they still take into account your high school record and SAT scores as well as freshman year grades, so keep that in mind. Private schools have more financial resources than state schools so they give better scholarships.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
My kids both went/are going to private colleges partly because they could get very good merit aid that made them affordable. That's compared to our State Universities here in PA but even our state schools are much more expensive then Arizona State U's. Whatever college you look at, make sure to take transportation costs into account.

Have you looked at the cost of other State U's? You really have a deal in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities