Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 12:57 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,918,756 times

Advertisements

ill admit im doing poorly in my math class at the 4 year university i transfered to, due to not feeling it. i went from loving math, calculus to feeling this stat class should be a "business math" type class taught at businesses or finance majors.

ive been doing so poor that i nearely gave up and was going to take an F, but i decided its not worth it and aim for a low C at best. its not so hard, but confusing and dont find it fun like calculus or trig, or discrete math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,990,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
ill admit im doing poorly in my math class at the 4 year university i transfered to, due to not feeling it. i went from loving math, calculus to feeling this stat class should be a "business math" type class taught at businesses or finance majors.

ive been doing so poor that i nearely gave up and was going to take an F, but i decided its not worth it and aim for a low C at best. its not so hard, but confusing and dont find it fun like calculus or trig, or discrete math.
From what I remember it required more memorization. I also found statistics more difficult than Calculus. I remember studying for one test and feeling extremely confused. I don't even remember how I did on that test, I just remember the stress I felt that day.

All I can suggest is that you study for those tests.

Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,198,620 times
The statistics class you are taking is not a real statistics class. It's a statistics application class. It teaches you how to use statistics rather than the math behind it.

Statistics, itself, is based on Calculus. The formulas you're using in your statistics application classes are derived via calculus.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:27 AM

12,113 posts, read 23,344,282 times
It sure seemed like math to me.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:33 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,466,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post

I had to take classes I didn't love, but, still learned a lot. I didn't like statistics, but managed to eke out an A. I don't think I gained any benefit from the experience, other than help my gpa.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,399,887 times
Statistics was interesting. As I recall, they had different classes for different majors. I had to take the statistics class that was required for math and engineering majors. It was definitely a math class, and with the worst teacher I've ever had it was more difficult than multivariable calculus. My business major friends took a different statistics course, which was apparently much easier and was specifically disallowed in my curriculum. This may be the application vs. math topic NJBest is referring to above. I later took an MBA program statistics class that used Excel, and I think for most people the concepts are important but the math isn't.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,420,258 times
Statistics was invented to explode the head of people like me.

The true definition of Hell, would be having to sit at a desk, and read a book about Statistical Analysis and Interpretation, and take a test each Friday.

I have taken several classes on statistics...the words are too big for me to understand. Then, they stick mathematical equations in there too...I was taking a test one time, and felt like a coyote in a trap, I wanted to gnaw my leg off to get out. Death would have been a welcome relief, as I was alternatively suicidal, and homocidal. Not sure which, because the entire thing was creating a chain saw buzz in my head.

Survived it. Would rather walk over hot coals than do it again...

Great irony of life though, I now have to pretend I know that stuff for my job, as everything is about number crunching, and improving outcomes, and analysis of surveys...I fake it quite well.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:53 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,180,706 times
Applied Statistics is not math. It's applied logic with #s. I love statistics, I like math, but statistics makes much more sense to me than math does. I have to try harder in math, whereas statistics comes to me pretty naturally.

Which is why I went into I/O psychology and my dissertation focused on quantitative measurement.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,701 posts, read 81,510,683 times
I also was a Psych major and took a lot of statistics and logic classes, and enjoyed it. This was before computers so we actually had to do our own calculations using only a simple calculator without memory. Now you can simply plug numbers into a spreadsheet and the calculations are done for you, so there is more emphasis on determining how to apply and analyze the data to make a point or show trends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities