Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:20 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,094 times

Advertisements

By reading the description of a MPA program at a local Virginia university, it seems like this degree covers a wealth of important issues and grooms you to become a manager of a non-profit or for local/state/federal government agencies. Yet I rarely hear people say "I want to get an MPA" or even MS Economics. The most famous MPA I can think of is Bill O'Reily for crying out loud. It seems like everyone wants to get an MBA so they can go slave for some blood sucking, for-profit corporation...I wonder why this degree isn't as heavily promoted as the MBA or JD...your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 12:32 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
There's not as much money in the public sector as in business. That's why you never hear about it. It does not have as much earning power attached as an MBA (although, given the weight of an MBA now, that might not be as true as it was 20 years ago).

Old 04-10-2010, 05:13 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
By reading the description of a MPA program at a local Virginia university, it seems like this degree covers a wealth of important issues and grooms you to become a manager of a non-profit or for local/state/federal government agencies. Yet I rarely hear people say "I want to get an MPA" or even MS Economics. The most famous MPA I can think of is Bill O'Reily for crying out loud. It seems like everyone wants to get an MBA so they can go slave for some blood sucking, for-profit corporation...I wonder why this degree isn't as heavily promoted as the MBA or JD...your thoughts?
Many MBA's end up working in non-profit / government or some sort of social enterprise.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-11-2010 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: edited out rude comment

Old 04-10-2010, 05:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Non-profits have to make revenue too. Fund-raising is #1. Think of the pressure they are under.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Many MBA's end up working in non-profit / government or some sort of social enterprise. Mod cut - rude comment removed

I didn't mean to come off that way about my theory. It was just a question.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-11-2010 at 06:49 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 10:17 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
It seems like everyone wants to get an MBA so they can go slave for some blood sucking, for-profit corporation...I wonder why this degree isn't as heavily promoted as the MBA or JD...your thoughts?
Let's hear it for MORE blood-sucking for-profit corporations and FEWER iron rice-bowl bureaucrats and public administrators!! Corporations produce true wealth; governments destroy it.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Well if one is indeed to destined to "slave" for someone (which happens in both the private AND public sector), at least the MBAs will be getting more money for it.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 AM

So what it comes down too all-in-all is $$$...meaning the MPA is basically a Piece of **** Masters degree, due to the low ROI??? But why does this degree have such a low ROI compared to other degrees such as the MBA and JD. Is it because back in the now "olden days", the private sector had a lot of $$ coming in. Looking at the curriculum at the universities where I received my BA and in which I am working towards my Post-baccalaureate certificate, the program seems to offer plenty of ideal and meaningful courses.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:56 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
You can still be an administrator at any type of business with an MPA.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:09 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
So what it comes down too all-in-all is $$$...meaning the MPA is basically a Piece of **** Masters degree, due to the low ROI??? But why does this degree have such a low ROI compared to other degrees such as the MBA and JD. Is it because back in the now "olden days", the private sector had a lot of $$ coming in. Looking at the curriculum at the universities where I received my BA and in which I am working towards my Post-baccalaureate certificate, the program seems to offer plenty of ideal and meaningful courses.
I personally think it is a strong degree in general. However, when MPAs are generally those who are seeking careers in non-profits/government, why would it be interchangeable with an MBA if most graduates of the respective programs don't end up in the same place? Maybe you hear more about MBAs because there are more professionals in corporate positions than non-profit/government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities