Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 PM

161 posts, read 634,125 times

Advertisements

Why do people act like it's no good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Frankly, I think there is nothing wrong with community college at all. I think it can serve several purposes, all of them good for individual kids.

1. They can be an inexpensive start for the first two years with a transfer to university after graduating from them.
2. They can give a student who does not want a strictly academic degree a good career option with graduation from a community college with an associates degree.
3. They can be a way for a poor student to catch up and decide if college is a good idea for them.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM

Well it is because i got a lot of bad grades in high school and my placement test were in the 40's which is way below college level but i am not poor this sucks because i don't want to be there with ghetto people.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,295 times
I would hardly call them ghetto people. Many will be people like you who didn't do well in high school and can't get in to a university. It's not a bad idea for someone who didn't cut it in high school to try a CC before sinking a bunch of time and $ into a university.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:34 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
The big drawback of community colleges is that you have less connection to the professors in your major; and often the transfer of credits does not go nearly as smoothly as expected.
Connections with major professors can be very critical for job placement and are definitely critical for going on to grad school.

There is also a huge barrier in that you are diving straight into upper division classes with students who are already in their third year at a four year school. A lot of students struggle with that transition and, as a result, fail to make it. Of course, these same students might have similar failed if they had started out at a four year school, but the transition is certainly the most difficult part.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The big drawback of community colleges is that you have less connection to the professors in your major; and often the transfer of credits does not go nearly as smoothly as expected.
Connections with major professors can be very critical for job placement and are definitely critical for going on to grad school.

There is also a huge barrier in that you are diving straight into upper division classes with students who are already in their third year at a four year school. A lot of students struggle with that transition and, as a result, fail to make it. Of course, these same students might have similar failed if they had started out at a four year school, but the transition is certainly the most difficult part.
What do you mean cc colleges have like 15 kids in it and universities have like 100 in 1 class.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
Well it is because i got a lot of bad grades in high school and my placement test were in the 40's which is way below college level but i am not poor this sucks because i don't want to be there with ghetto people.
Ghetto people?

First of all, what state are you in? Second of all, have you visited the community college campus? There are many different kinds of people who take classes at community colleges. Some got bad grades in high school and test badly. Others are actually kids who did reasonably well in high school, but don't have the money for 4 to 5 years of university. Then there are also people who are going back to school either to change careers or to make up some credits so they can go on to a better life.

Don't be an elitist and make assumptions. Some community college classes are actually excellent. For example, often community college does well preparing students in nursing for entry level nursing positions. Some do well in technical courses as well. The college prep courses may or may not be great. You need to figure out whether or not the one close to you is the best option.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:49 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Why do people act like it's no good?
There is nothing wrong with a community college to start with. However, unless the job prospects are good for an associate degree in the area of study you're pursuing, it is probably a good idea to transfer to a university after that.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
I was really grateful when I went back to college that there was a community college option. I was a high school drop out and very insecure about re-entering school. If my option had been a university, I may have not gone back. The classes were smaller, the instructors more available, and it was cheaper.

But that was over 20 years ago.

A couple of years ago I took a class and I was surrounded by kids in 13th grade. They schlepped around there with an I-don't-care attitude. I brought it up to my husband who was an instructor there at the time and he said that, yeah, the quality of the students was definitely going downhill. It is, basically, the problems in K-12 education creeping into post-secondary education.

I would probably still take a class there, though. There are some very good instructors there and they do not have the elitist attitude that you find at the university level.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
What do you mean cc colleges have like 15 kids in it and universities have like 100 in 1 class.
Not all universities/colleges have large class sizes. I think the biggest class I had in college was 30 kids, maybe. If you go to a large state university, sure, you are going to have lecture classes of 400 kids, but if you go to smaller colleges, most of your classes will be 25 kids or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities