Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 18,328 times

Advertisements

Thank you everybody, this information is very useful. After sleeping on it, I think I'm better off sticking with the web-design. I can study philosophy as a hobby; while focusing my main priority on web development.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,599,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelOo View Post
Hello fellow posters, my name is Joel. I'm 34 years old and for the last 10 years I have been doing freelance web-design. I noticed that I wasn't happy with this direction. I decided to wrap it up and go back to school. I'm currently enrolled in a local university, but I have not declared my major yet. I really enjoy learning psychology and philosophy. My desire includes majoring in psychology with a minor in philosophy. After doing some research on the web; I have noticed a common theme that these 2 areas of study are not worth the paper they are written on. Is this true? Is a BA in Psychology worthless? I can pick computer science or engineering as a major, but I have no interest in these areas. I am the sole provider for my family, so I'm torn between the prospect of money verses my interest. Please shoot me with your unbiased advice.
Joel
I was a psych major but never used it. I couldn't see myself listening to people's problems all day and now they are more into drug pushing. If I had it to do over, I might combine it with law enforcement somehow, like a profiler or that direction. I can't imagine what good philosophy would do you. Engineering has a future, especially electrical. The prison system will continue to grow as a large part of this economy, perhaps you can work that into your plans.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:57 PM

993 posts, read 1,566,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I was a psych major but never used it. I couldn't see myself listening to people's problems all day and now they are more into drug pushing. If I had it to do over, I might combine it with law enforcement somehow, like a profiler or that direction. I can't imagine what good philosophy would do you. Engineering has a future, especially electrical. The prison system will continue to grow as a large part of this economy, perhaps you can work that into your plans.
I'd wager that the psych major didn't work out for you because you weren't thinking outside the box. If you think psychology is only for counseling and criminal profiling, then you're watching too much television.

As many have said, psychology is one of those bachelor's that work best if you continue your education as a graduate student or go on to law school. It's also useful for careers in human resources, sales, marketing, and the like. So, it's pretty flexible, depending on your other credentials.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:06 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,338,618 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D. or Au.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *new grads are having trouble finding jobs
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees

Old 10-12-2013, 07:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,269,973 times
Quote:
Thank you everybody, this information is very useful. After sleeping on it, I think I'm better off sticking with the web-design. I can study philosophy as a hobby; while focusing my main priority on web development.
Thanks again.

Whatever you do, Mia Amigo, remember that caring for one's tribe (my personal term for family) is the only criteria, IMO, upon which a man or woman is truly evaluated by the gods, of whatever flavor fits your preference.

We all live and die as part of the infinite continuum of our human existence. An individual's life is simply a tapestry of your gene pool.

The question is - did you, in your time life, honorably serve to protect, nurture and do the very best you could to further your progeny. That is the criteria by which the gods will judge your soul. JMO

Old 10-12-2013, 09:11 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,599,153 times
Quote:
Thanks again.
In case you are still checking in, you might want to take a look at this.

10 Best Degrees For Finding A Job - Yahoo! Education

Seems to me there are a gazillion web designers.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,799,051 times
If you are already 35, never start a new career completely. Just try to improve it one way or another.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,519,494 times
There is usually something marketable that is related to one's interests. As Pinkmani said, there are high demand careers related to psychology, but you'll need a graduate or professional degree. Occupational therapy involves the behavioral sciences, is in high demand, and usually pays a good salary. Special education teachers are also in high demand. One can even become a psychiatric nurse practitioner with a master's degree instead of going through medical school and becoming a psychiatrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In case you are still checking in, you might want to take a look at this.

10 Best Degrees For Finding A Job - Yahoo! Education

Seems to me there are a gazillion web designers.
I've heard that web design is not as lucrative as it used to be because there are many websites and software that have simplified the process for the layman.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:22 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,296,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If you are already 35, never start a new career completely. Just try to improve it one way or another.
Though I wouldn't say "never start a new career," I'd say in this case it's a bad idea.

Unless you're really passionate, or have a solid end goal with a solid career aspiration, have the luxury or don't have a choice, then stick with what you're doing.

Find a new niche, see if you're skills can carry over to something else, like more lucrative database programming.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,994,692 times
Quote:
Please shoot me with your unbiased advice.
Joel
it seems like you're going back to school to satisfy personal interest. in that case don't stop working. neither of those degrees will lead you to anything that pays better than web design that you couldn't get to without that degree at your age with 10 years experience. you can always read sartre and freud or whatever in your free time

EDIT - oops, reading the whole thread, it looks like you already came to this conclusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities