Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 06:36 AM

27,237 posts, read 44,203,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerchick View Post
I hated the way the patients treat you. The had a patients curse me out and call me the n word. The doctors where extremely rude. My plan was to take care of people not constantly berated. It wasn't just me many of my friends who decided to volunteer felt the same way. I do want to help people.
I would stay on a similar path and perhaps consider one of the Allied Health occupations. Check out Cardiovascular Technology or Nuclear Medicine Technology. These are all skilled, diagnostic technician occupations where the patient typically comes to you within the hospital for testing. It eliminates the tedious patient care aspect you despise and allows you to help in a major way. Both occupations are in high demand and pay as well as (or better in some instances) than Nursing without the round-the-clock shifts of being an RN since nights/weekends are rotated "on call" for emergencies which is fairly rare. You probably already have most if not all of your prerequisites for these programs, so starting over isn't something you'll have to do. Here's a link to the accredited programs and job descriptions...

Nuclear Medicine Technologist | explorehealthcareers.org
Find A Program - Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology (JRCNMT)

Cardiovascular Technologist/Technician | explorehealthcareers.org
Accredited Program Search - CAAHEP (go to Cardiovascular Technology in the pulldown menu)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 06:47 AM

51,182 posts, read 36,873,796 times
Be aware that not all hospitals are like this. Once you get through your clinicals, you can go anywhere you want. I work in nursing homes (as a therapist, not nurse) and although some of the demented people will yell at us or be inappropriate, most people are grateful you're there. Rather than a revolving door of different people like in a hospital, in a nursing home you can actually develop relationships with people.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:51 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,406 times
A person goes to college in order to prepare for a job. You have selected well. Focus on being the best and learn how to do that. Be the best nurse and be the best person in your department. And remember you are working for the patient and in the end focus on that. Many nurses hate the work so do not let them sway you. Self inspection=Do it daily. Search out your negative thoughts and look for reasons and solutions. Include in your travels intensive work on people management and motivation. You will also find it interesting to search number of registered nurses vs those actually working as a patient centered nurse. What are the others doing? Why? What skills do you need in addition to the nurse degree?

Old 10-16-2013, 02:22 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,335,138 times
The therapies (SLP, OT, PT) are flexible careers, have great pay, and different environments (school, clinic, nursing facility, hospital, etc.).

Here are some of the high demand careers that I can think of:
Speech-Language Pathologist (my career path)
Occupational Therapist
Physical Therapist
Audiologist (extension of SLP-requires Ph.D. or Au.D.)
Software developer
Physician assistant
Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA)
Registered Nurse (RN) *new grads are having trouble finding jobs
Nurse practitioner (NP)
IT (information technology) Analyst
Accountants
Actuary
Elementary school teacher
Special education teacher
School psychologist
Financial Advisers
HVAC technician
Pharmacist (Although, according to the kids on Grad Café, they can't find a job)
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreter
Translator
Database Administrator
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Most of the engineering degrees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities