Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 10:47 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,261,188 times

Advertisements

Oh, I want to go back to school! I could make minced meat of these. All except the 'tell a joke one'. When anyone says 'tell a joke', my mind goes blank. But the others? What fun! today's students are so lucky. Do they know? This is from New York Times, Sunday 03 Nov 2013. Play with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/ed...vity.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 11:08 AM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Nice for you to think so...

but I do not consider essay prompts to be the "Best Fun in Life that I've Missed Out On."

Old 11-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Nice for you to think so...

but I do not consider essay prompts to be the "Best Fun in Life that I've Missed Out On."
Perhaps not. To each his own. I like to write. I like to create stories. I have a grand imagination. So, fun for me. May be fun for some other also. But not for everybody, of course. Then again, if the university is looking for students with creative ability, this is the way to go.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
I would have loved that, until I got to school and realized you don't get to do anything you want.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Oh, I want to go back to school! I could make minced meat of these. All except the 'tell a joke one'. When anyone says 'tell a joke', my mind goes blank. But the others? What fun! today's students are so lucky. Do they know? This is from New York Times, Sunday 03 Nov 2013. Play with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/ed...vity.html?_r=0
This is old news, especially for Tufts. I applied to Tufts years ago and was amazed to find out that many students submitted essays in the forms of videos, photographs, paintings, comics, plays, etc., etc.. I was not admitted. Apparently I did not get the memo.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This is old news, especially for Tufts. I applied to Tufts years ago and was amazed to find out that many students submitted essays in the forms of videos, photographs, paintings, comics, plays, etc., etc.. I was not admitted. Apparently I did not get the memo.
But it is so good to see more and more universities recognizing that we need both technical and creative skills to make the world go around smoothly.

Tufts? Tufts? Isn't that Tennessee? I had a friend whose son taught at -- wasn't it Tufts? Maybe am confused. It's been a while. Can't even recall what he taught now.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,251,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
But it is so good to see more and more universities recognizing that we need both technical and creative skills to make the world go around smoothly.

Tufts? Tufts? Isn't that Tennessee? I had a friend whose son taught at -- wasn't it Tufts? Maybe am confused. It's been a while. Can't even recall what he taught now.
It is a response to the overwhelmingly number of applicants who are gaming admissions with tons and tons of ECs. Volunteer work used to have the ability to make an applicant stand out, for example, now it is expected as it has become so common. And it has become so common that universities now assume that high school students only volunteer so they have something to pad their applications and not for any altruistic motivation what-so-ever.

Tufts is in Somerville/Medford, Massachusetts. For better orientation, it is next to Cambridge (home to Harvard and MIT), which is across the Charles River from Boston. So, for easy reference; Tufts is in Boston...so to speak.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It is a response to the overwhelmingly number of applicants who are gaming admissions with tons and tons of ECs. Volunteer work used to have the ability to make an applicant stand out, for example, now it is expected as it has become so common. And it has become so common that universities now assume that high school students only volunteer so they have something to pad their applications and not for any altruistic motivation what-so-ever.

Tufts is in Somerville/Medford, Massachusetts. For better orientation, it is next to Cambridge (home to Harvard and MIT), which is across the Charles River from Boston. So, for easy reference; Tufts is in Boston...so to speak.
Thank you. I did find it. Massachusetts is right. Can't even recall that Tennessee university now. It will come ot me about 2:00 AM.

Hazel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities