Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:29 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,599,921 times

Advertisements

I have been posting on this site for a very long time. If I have useful information, I try to share it. If I don't have anything that will help the poster of the question, I stay quiet.

My son has asked many people at the school and is getting nowhere, so he asked us for advice. Since I didn't know what to tell him, I came to a place where there are lots of people who are experts in many areas to get some general guidance. I am not trying to solve the problem for him, I just wanted some ideas for him to try. I am glad that he asked me for advice, as a parent, I want to keep that line of communication open. I am so happy to hear that all of you were so self-sufficient at 21 that you didn't need your parent's advice.

THANK YOU to the couple of people who gave me some ideas to share with him, so HE can try to take care of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:34 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The best thing you can do here is stop yourself from intervening in your son's affairs. Your son has the resources he needs (the school, the internet, etc.) to figure this out. He is an adult and adults should know that the best way to learn from a mistake is to go through the struggles of correcting it. Sit back and see whether he is ready for the real world. If he can't get through this without your help, then perhaps another semester at college isn't as awful as you make it sound.

Best of luck to you and your son.
I disagree. Most likely the parents paid a ton of money for that school. And an advisor is called an advisor for a reason. Also, he's usually the person who is responsible for making sure the student graduates on time - so he failed to do his job here. Another semester is a big deal and a lot of money - I don't understand why he can't add it late. It would most likely be the advisor who would get to make that call, as well as whether or not the kid graduates, so it's a bit odd for him to say there is nothing he can do. I'd first try having the kid go back and be super nice to the advisor and see if there is any way he can graduate, and then I'd try other professors who might have an idea. If everyone agrees that he's screwed, then I'd be on the phone with the dean pretty fast.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,771,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I disagree. Most likely the parents paid a ton of money for that school. And an advisor is called an advisor for a reason. Also, he's usually the person who is responsible for making sure the student graduates on time - so he failed to do his job here. Another semester is a big deal and a lot of money - I don't understand why he can't add it late. It would most likely be the advisor who would get to make that call, as well as whether or not the kid graduates, so it's a bit odd for him to say there is nothing he can do. I'd first try having the kid go back and be super nice to the advisor and see if there is any way he can graduate, and then I'd try other professors who might have an idea. If everyone agrees that he's screwed, then I'd be on the phone with the dean pretty fast.
Every advisor form has a rider on it that reminds students that their progress is ultimately THEIR responsibility. All an advisor can do is ADVISE, the student has to make sure that advise is what THEY need.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,220,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Every advisor form has a rider on it that reminds students that their progress is ultimately THEIR responsibility. All an advisor can do is ADVISE, the student has to make sure that advise is what THEY need.
Exactly. If the son had paid attention to his bill, which almost always has a list of classes on it, then he would have noticed his internship was missing. If the son had checked his list of classes, he would have noticed his internship was not there. This is at least his 7th or 8th semester at the college, so he should kinda have a vague idea of how it works!

The best course of action is to talk to the head of the department and make his case for why he didn't follow through. I don't know if "I need this internship to graduate" will work, but a legitimate misunderstand of what he was supposed to do after the paper work was in might get him registered.

BTW, colleges can register students after the formal close of registration. It depends upon the college's policies as well as the reasons why students are not registered. The college where I work will sometimes even register a student after the class has ended if the student took the course and got a grade but for some reason failed to register, particularly when there's no change in the bill (full time student taking an additional course).

Old 11-06-2013, 01:29 PM

10,057 posts, read 18,123,521 times
I'm surprised at the negative responses from some posters. Yeah, it was paperwork that maybe the student should have noticed, but it shouldn't cost him an extra semester in college.

At my college we would just put in the paperwork late (e.g. process a "late add"), if the student had indeed been doing the work. The student would probably have to pay a late fee, but it's simply bureaucratic paperwork if the actual work has been done. And again, yes, the student should have noticed, but wow, to make him come back for an entire extra semeseter is ridiculous.

OP, talk to the dean of the division (business school?), and the dean of students, and anyone else at that level who will listen.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:14 PM

809 posts, read 1,333,521 times
To the OP- yes we do have to sometimes help out our children. I am in my fifties and my parents would still help me out if needed. That is just what parents do. It doesn't mean I haven't grown up, it is because they want to help if needed.
My daughter needed to take one more Praxis before she could student teach. She had been sick all week, but continued going to classes etc. On a Friday morning she called home and finally decided she needed to see a doctor, but couldn't drive there. My husband drove 2.5 hours to take her to the dr. By the time I found out what was going on it was noon on Friday and she had the Praxis Sat. morning. She insisted she had to take the test or couldn't student teach. I called the PRAXIS people - they said too bad. I called the deans office - too bad. Finally I called the education dept. of the college and I got this nice secretary. She knew my daughter and said she would try to get the head of the dept. to call me back.
She couldn't make any promises but she would try. He did call me back. I explained the situation. He told me if she couldn't take the PRAXIS he would arrange for her to take the next one and she could start her student teaching a few weeks late. She could walk at graduation and then continue her student teaching. She would get her diploma after the student teaching was done. He also asked for my daughters phone number, and called her to reassure her. I knew it could be done - just had to figure it out and get in touch with the correct person.
Continue to help your son figure this out

Old 11-06-2013, 04:16 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,593,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Never seen any such form. Not only is it the advisor's responsibility to make sure the student knows what they need to do, but many measures of college accountability that are in use today take into consideration time to graduation and money spent. Therefore, the college itself will be held accountable for added expense and added time to graduation.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,391,268 times
Usually, advisors don't register students. It seems to me that you so was told the internship was,approve, then he should have registered for the class. Ultimately it US the students responsibility to make sure their schedule is correct. At my university you can petition for a late add, even at the end of the term f their is a legitimate error... which sounds like he has a case here.

Your son should contact the business school himself and the registrars office to see if there is,a late add petition.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:24 PM

215 posts, read 297,904 times
I would first read the written policy about internships for credit and the deadline for adding classes for the school. Maybe he should just take an "add" slip with his advisor's signature on it and go to the registration office. Just ask someone there for the final date he has to add a class.

I would be very hesitant to just work for free again in an internship for another semester. Maybe he can get an internship at a different company if he has to take it over again.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,216,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm surprised at the negative responses from some posters. Yeah, it was paperwork that maybe the student should have noticed, but it shouldn't cost him an extra semester in college.

At my college we would just put in the paperwork late (e.g. process a "late add"), if the student had indeed been doing the work. The student would probably have to pay a late fee, but it's simply bureaucratic paperwork if the actual work has been done. And again, yes, the student should have noticed, but wow, to make him come back for an entire extra semeseter is ridiculous.

OP, talk to the dean of the division (business school?), and the dean of students, and anyone else at that level who will listen.
I agree.

The daughter of a friend of mine had a similar, very serious situation at her University (the deadline for an internship was missed by 15 minutes). Everyone in her department said that nothing could be done and the student would forfeit her much anticipated fashion internship in New York City . I called a friend, a professor in a different department at the same University and she knew who to call and what to say (the daughter made the call). It took less than 30 minutes and the problem was immediately solved.

I'm not saying that it will be that easy for your son but maybe it will be that quick. Keep on trying.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-06-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities