Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times

Advertisements

What was your major? For-profits (and even some community colleges) don't like to hire lifelong academics. They think it's better to hire people with real world experience. I have had mixed experiences with part-time instructors with real world experience, so I can't really say they're generally better or worse. However, a lot of students seem to have it in their minds that the instructors with real world experience are almost always better, so that's what these schools advertise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 PM

43 posts, read 95,281 times
Default Start over at CC or stay at for profit university?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Community College... Community College... Community College...

Run away from for-profit colleges. And fast.
Quite an epic post there. Seems like the experiences for for-profits are all the same. It is a shame the degree is completely useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What was your major? For-profits (and even some community colleges) don't like to hire lifelong academics. They think it's better to hire people with real world experience. I have had mixed experiences with part-time instructors with real world experience, so I can't really say they're generally better or worse. However, a lot of students seem to have it in their minds that the instructors with real world experience are almost always better, so that's what these schools advertise.
His and my major is Accounting. I have talked to him recently and he doesn't seem to even remember which accounting classes he has taken, but he said he took 5 already.

If jobs are only hiring those with real world experience, why wouldn't students think those with real world experiences be better instructors?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-03-2013, 05:43 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I can see how real world experience would be beneficial if it relates to what you are teaching. But what we experienced were things like the instructor having previously worked at Kinko's for 6 years and then suddenly they were expected to teach an advanced excel, or Microsoft access class... One of the instructors was Russian and was a chemistry teacher in Russia. She had a very heavy accent and was still in the process of learning to speak English fluently and the school had her trying to teach keyboarding classes. The keyboarding class itself wasn't supposed to be difficult, but no one could understand what she was saying and she didn't understand how to use the software we were supposed to use for the class. It was a mess.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:56 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,473,091 times
You definitely aren't going to get away from heavy accents at traditional schools! There was a thread about that recently on this sub-forum.

Here we go.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/colle...rofessors.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoriginator View Post
If jobs are only hiring those with real world experience, why wouldn't students think those with real world experiences be better instructors?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro
Most of the professors in my PhD program at a traditional university have never had a job outside of academia. They are the same ones who teach undergraduate criminal justice students who are mostly interested in becoming cops.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Name and shame

Quote:
I made the mistake last year of attending a for-profit college.
Name of said school? Location?
Don't be bashful.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Name of said school? Location?
Don't be bashful.
I don't think I want to divulge that much info here, but if you PM me I will tell you. Also, when you enroll at the school, you do sign a piece of paper that basically says that while a student at the school you are not allowed post or write publicly about the school in a negative way. Since I'm no longer a student there, I felt that it was OK to share my experience here. But just in case, I don't want to mention the name of the school in a public place. I have seen students and even a few former instructors write and post things on review websites like ripoff report and yelp and other review sites. Prior to attending the school I dismissed those negative reviews. I thought they were just upset people who needed to vent. But after attending the school... I began to realize that everything they had written about was actually true. And did I mention that two weeks after I withdrew from the school, my program director also resigned and sent me an email thanking me? She said I had done the right thing, and that I helped her make the very hard decision to leave her job. She said she had been there for so long that she had grown numb to how the school was being run and the behavior of the staff and students there. I was a wake up call for her.

Anyway... yes it was a horrible experience and it is really my own fault for making the decision to go there. I should have known better. All I can do now is put it behind me, move forward, and also try to warn others so that they do not make the same mistake.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,263 times
Quote:
I don't think I want to divulge that much info here, but if you PM me I will tell you. Also, when you enroll at the school, you do sign a piece of paper that basically says that while a student at the school you are not allowed post or write publicly about the school in a negative way. Since I'm no longer a student there, I felt that it was OK to share my experience here. But just in case, I don't want to mention the name of the school in a public place. I have seen students and even a few former instructors write and post things on review websites like ripoff report and yelp and other review sites. Prior to attending the school I dismissed those negative reviews. I thought they were just upset people who needed to vent. But after attending the school... I began to realize that everything they had written about was actually true. And did I mention that two weeks after I withdrew from the school, my program director also resigned and sent me an email thanking me? She said I had done the right thing, and that I helped her make the very hard decision to leave her job. She said she had been there for so long that she had grown numb to how the school was being run and the behavior of the staff and students there. I was a wake up call for her.

Anyway... yes it was a horrible experience and it is really my own fault for making the decision to go there. I should have known better. All I can do now is put it behind me, move forward, and also try to warn others so that they do not make the same mistake.

It would've been at this point where I would've run far away from this so called "school".

Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post

It would've been at this point where I would've run far away from this so called "school".
I totally agree.

Unfortunately, most students don't realize that legitimate schools would never, ever require that.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:07 PM

It was a strange feeling when we got to that point (signing that form), but I had also just accepted employment with a company who also had me sign a similar form. At the time, I just sort of thought it was what companies/organizations were doing these days. I had been a SAHM and out of the "real world" for a decade, so quite a bit has changed... I thought those sorts of forms were "the norm" now which all the online chatter and etc.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:33 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
It was a strange feeling when we got to that point (signing that form), but I had also just accepted employment with a company who also had me sign a similar form. At the time, I just sort of thought it was what companies/organizations were doing these days. I had been a SAHM and out of the "real world" for a decade, so quite a bit has changed... I thought those sorts of forms were "the norm" now which all the online chatter and etc.
Unfortunately, that's what these sham colleges are counting on: people who don't know better because they've been out of the workplace for a while or because nobody in their family/circle of friends have been to college. They are truly predators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities