Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,950,380 times

Advertisements

Investigation of for profit schools. Unbelievable.

Saddened and sickened. I have no other words for this.

ABC Investigates For-Profit Educators - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 08:54 PM

207 posts, read 964,128 times
What's really sad and sickening is that there are a lot of people in this country who still get scammed by these places. It always stuns me when I hear so many people asking "Is this a good school?" or being surprised after they realize they got taken advantage of. Do they not read the news or watch TV? Do they live completely in isolation where they haven't heard that these places are just out for your money and basically give you a fake degree? I have stopped feeling sorry for those people when they get scammed because it literally takes 3 seconds of research to find out what those places are. You hear about it in passing all the time now even if you don't seek out the information, and now especially with it all over the news. For-profit schools prey on the gullible and uneducated who are probably the same population that buy things off of infomercials and are then totally shocked when the gadget they paid "10 easy payments" for doesn't actually do what it says...
It's sad because it can ruin people's lives, leave them drowning in debt with an embarrassing stain on their record but the truth is they should have been smart enough to figure it out in the first place. If they weren't then chances are college wasn't for them anyway.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:56 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,874,176 times
That ABC is a light one, CHECK THIS ONE OUT. It will blow your mind. For profit schools are pretty much SCAMMING the students and the federal government. The federal government is cracking down on it. I'm surprised there has been a massive class action lawsuit against those schools.

FRONTLINE: college, inc. | PBS

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 AM

874 posts, read 1,660,942 times
It's too bad someone didn't tell the girl in the ABC story about community colleges, but there are a lot of people around who are ignorant about what their options are when it comes to college.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 AM

14 posts, read 36,668 times
I actually almost got caught up in all this. So close to the point I thought I was flying to another state right before classes began (this was like a week ago) at a for profit college to pay the money and enroll for TWO YEARS.

In emails I sent between the instructors and the college's business faculty (there were two different ones one was a boss; one was lower) both the business ladies were making promises and acting like everything was good to go, to get the 'sale'. The instructor actually threw me a hint, that not everything was as it should be (wasn't guaranteed credit for certification), and I still don't know why he did but boy am I thankful. These are perfect examples of why education should not be driven by $$$, education is a resource that will keep the economy going, and that means the nation afloat, you DON'T mess that up!

And what I mean by this is, it's not only catching the people at McDonalds that perhaps wouldn't have went to MIT and contributed to society a great deal, it's also serving as a way to 'save money' for those that might not have to, and sucking them in and dumbing them down. On a further note, most community college programs/classes are worthless too. For example I took an English I class at a community college and actually learned quite a bit, I lucked out and the instructor (who was 9 months pregnant) took her job seriously. Then I took English II right after it, as well as some other courses, and all instructors for these new courses were worse quality-wise than my highschool instructors. And no, I don't mean they didn't communicate as well or weren't as smart as other teachers, I meant they completely had no motivation or incentive to make a good course and teach kids. Instead they sent us home early almost every class after the first class period, with no real lecture, mostly class discussion about things ranging from the BP oil disaster to Celebrity Gossip, things you could learn by hanging out in a barbershop or similar. In total, 60% of my grade for that English II class was determined by my major projects, which were all video projects (for an English class), the criteria restricted my fellow students and I from using more than 10 words per slide (in an ENGLISH CLASS!!!!!), and the teachers example video (the only way we knew what to do- there was no handout) had no words at all except for titles and her name, etc.

Anyway, the three 'major' video projects were 1:

Top 10 List of Your Favorite Things and Why (So people did like, Top 10 Places to Take a Date, showed pictures of the top ten places or video clips and briefly said why they thought they were awesome in a PowerPoint) <--- IN AN ENGLISH PROJECT PEOPLE.

2: Video Project on 'Racial Stereotyping', this one actually is an English II topic as I understand it, however the project requirements required all footage, from news clips etc, and no words besides the separate PowerPoint.

3: The last project was the real laugh, even though it had a paper due with it, ONLY TWO PAGES!!!!!!! Double spaced, I might add, and the format we're required to use makes the header, name, title, etc take up 1/3rd of the first page. That's 1.66 pages for a final paper in English II (this isn't a developmental class, this supposedly transfers to the major colleges around the area counting as all you really need for English for most degrees). Anyway the video topic (LOL) was to create a sales pitch for a reality show. Yes, something you'd expect in film class. I began to wonder if the instructor wished she had become a film instructor instead of an English one. We were required to make a poster for our reality show idea, a 30-180 second commercial for our reality show idea, a PowerPoint for our reality show idea, and a short oral proposal for our reality show idea.

Besides the whole thing being biased towards VH1 MTV types of people, what really pissed me off was that I got a final grade of 82 by completely skipping most of the non-writing part of major projects, just doing the papers, and still left that class feeling like my writing skills had been obfuscated and diminished since my completion of English I. (this is because I had to use this idiotic instructors methods to 'write' a paper rather than the exceptional English I instructors format).

Similar experiences happened, but to a lesser degree, in other classes. In the other cases, it was more of the case that 'old business owners who had their businesses fail but also had PhD's came to community college to teach for incredible bucks but realized they didn't have to do anything but drink coffee and send us home so 99% of the class was happy to get free credits, and the instructors were happy they didn't have to do any grading and kept getting paid 30$ an hour while their businesses went down the drain in this recession'.

Disgusting, but I have to keep going to keep my traditional minded parents happy. I learn more every single day from places like KhanA , teachertube.com, this forum, just reading random stuff on the internet, reading textbooks or other free video lecture sites, there's open courseware, etc. But you can't get those college degree pieces of paper for that. What's wrong with this picture?

Oh, and you want something REALLY REALLY haunting?

I don't know about most high schools, the one I went to was in a richy area and is one of the best in the area for public schools but the teachers and organization there were atleast ten times better than at the two different community COLLEGES I went to after.

To top it all off, you have to realize education today is at STAND STILL in development, we have SO MANY opportunities to make things better and more efficient (and this is for ALL colleges/schools, not just the scum) like the portable video phones, to make REAL WORLD math problems (see this video: TED Blog | Math class needs a makeover: Dan Meyer on TED.com ) and real problems in other classes rather than the traditional, old way of 'learning' by 2d pictures and text alone. Another good point in that example is that students today are taught to 'look for the formula, copy paste, fill in, and be done. When a real problem in the real world presents itself, the students don't even REALIZE they could figure it out with what they learned in math class because they weren't taught to identify and formulate problems themselves. What this equates to is students can pass tests, but not immediately help solve real world problems like the energy crisis by working on say, I don't know, more efficient solar energy ideas BECAUSE THEY WERE TAUGHT TO MEMORIZE FORMULAS AND NOT CREATIVELY SOLVE STUFF.

I'm pissed as well as fearful, for what might happen to society. When you take into account that muslims are taking over the world, fast food is most young peoples primary food source these days in the US (cooked food is bad enough already!), and education is actually putting out shortcut-minded students who are to be honest, less capable on the whole than the generation before them, etc, THE FUTURE DOESN'T LOOK TOO GOOD FOR OUR CHILDREN, OR FUTURE CHILDREN. I know the damage has been done for me, and I've accepted a safe but modest path to contribute to society, my only plan and hope is to have a child that I can teach the right way at home, mostly, to actually contribute to the probably by then idiocracy movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/) level society, in the form as a revolutionary genius.

I think people better start realizing that '1000 years in the future' might not be the space age, but rather more primitive than it is now and for maybe 100 more years, which is like a 'golden age' of technology in my opinion, in the eyes of future historians.

Last edited by laminarpath; 08-21-2010 at 03:15 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
That ABC is a light one, CHECK THIS ONE OUT. It will blow your mind. For profit schools are pretty much SCAMMING the students and the federal government. The federal government is cracking down on it. I'm surprised there has been a massive class action lawsuit against those schools.

FRONTLINE: college, inc. | PBS
I've been watching this and it is shocking. During the interview with one of the suits that invests or lobbies for these schools, there was an analogy used about advertising and perfume, in that more is spent on advertising. How the perfume will only cost $.50, but advertising will cost $5 or $6. The interviewer says 'you're not selling perfume, but education' and the guy states, so? What's so special about education?

This bothered me because a lot of these for-profits sell programs like nursing, where it would absolutely matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities