Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 05:24 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,936 times

Advertisements

You know, like the OUTRAGEOUS prices they charge. Just absolutely ridiculous what they charge. Damn near Ivy League cost but most definitely not Ivy League quality.

Say they are serving the poor and all that, but that's what Community Colleges do, and at a fraction of the cost. And at a CC, your credits, will actually, you know, be recognized as more than just wasted time and money and will transfer to other schools.

The way they encourage people to take out these massive loans, using the sales people they employ, and that's what they are, sales people, using bogus numbers and statistics like, oh yea, you'll be making 80k, absolutely right out the door.

Also, the quality of the education is butt. I've seen the curriculum, I've seen the coursework, and I'm like, you're paying HOW MUCH for this? You're paying thousands of dollars to use ALEKS?

They talk about how they hire people who work in the field, but they are like McDonalds, in that a University of Phoenix in New Mexico is exactly the same as one in Florida as far as the curriculum goes. All the "professor" does is essentially grade the coursework, they don't create their own curriculum, they just administer whatever crap the University provides.

They also take a very disproportionate amount of federal money. They've got something like, what was it, 12% of the students, yet use up 25% of the money? Rather than funding these giant scams, why not just invest in CC's? The product that For Profits put out is crap. My Cousin is the HR Manager at an Engineering company and says if all you've got is a degree from a For Profit, no previous experience or anything, well, your application is almost as worthless as that degree.

University of Phoenix, Full Sail, Longwood, ECPI, ITT TECH, oh god don't get me started on ITT Tech, all scams at the worst, and overpriced crap at the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:23 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,391,475 times
Default The are excellent options

I disagree and I think you make far too many generalizations. We are fortunate to have these schools, as they present more options for anyone to obtain an education. Not everyone can save someone's life, swim the English Channel to freedom, get a 4.8 GPA, get perfect scores on the SAT, and take 25 Honors and Advanced Placement classes just in their senior year to qualify for Stanford admission. Not everyone can afford schools you deem as "reputable." Not everyone is willing to go into tremendous depth to attend a school whose ranking you respect. Some people have to take care of kids, the elderly, or a sick family member and were not able to get the kind of grades in high school that accurately reflects their level of intelligence. Plenty of legitimate reasons why people attend these schools, and I applaud anyone who seeks to further their education in whatever form they choose to do it in. Accredited degrees can be earned online now and I think this is incredible.

Many of these schools are accredited by the DETC, a national accreditation agency, and are seeking regional accreditation. Regional accreditation takes years, so being relatively new, I don't think these schools should be slammed because they don't now have regional accreditation. National accreditation is the norm for these schools at the moment. DTEC accreditation is one sign that the school is legitimate and offers a challenging curriculum. Of course, like any school, you get out what you put into it. I also don't think these schools are as expensive as you imply. They are far cheaper than Ivy league schools.

Anyone without experience is going to catch hell getting hired. This is especially true if they don't network or don't know someone. A prestigious school like Harvard certainly opens doors, but not everyone is fortunate enough to go there. These people shouldn't be shunned either. A potential employer who is shallow and short-sighted enough to only judge a potential candidate by the name of their school is certainly not an ideal employer that I would care to work for, I prefer employers who are more interested in WHAT I know, not where I learned it. In this regard, these types of schools have great value for those willing to work hard to earn their credentials.

About Ivy league, they certainly are the gold standard, but even Yale is capable of graduating a village idiot (Bush). Going to Harvard does not guarantee that a successful attorney will not commit suicide one day.

It's really about the person, not the place.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:49 PM

784 posts, read 2,730,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
You know, like the OUTRAGEOUS prices they charge. Just absolutely ridiculous what they charge. Damn near Ivy League cost but most definitely not Ivy League quality.

Say they are serving the poor and all that, but that's what Community Colleges do, and at a fraction of the cost. And at a CC, your credits, will actually, you know, be recognized as more than just wasted time and money and will transfer to other schools.

The way they encourage people to take out these massive loans, using the sales people they employ, and that's what they are, sales people, using bogus numbers and statistics like, oh yea, you'll be making 80k, absolutely right out the door.

Also, the quality of the education is butt. I've seen the curriculum, I've seen the coursework, and I'm like, you're paying HOW MUCH for this? You're paying thousands of dollars to use ALEKS?

They talk about how they hire people who work in the field, but they are like McDonalds, in that a University of Phoenix in New Mexico is exactly the same as one in Florida as far as the curriculum goes. All the "professor" does is essentially grade the coursework, they don't create their own curriculum, they just administer whatever crap the University provides.

They also take a very disproportionate amount of federal money. They've got something like, what was it, 12% of the students, yet use up 25% of the money? Rather than funding these giant scams, why not just invest in CC's? The product that For Profits put out is crap. My Cousin is the HR Manager at an Engineering company and says if all you've got is a degree from a For Profit, no previous experience or anything, well, your application is almost as worthless as that degree.

University of Phoenix, Full Sail, Longwood, ECPI, ITT TECH, oh god don't get me started on ITT Tech, all scams at the worst, and overpriced crap at the best.
It's a free country. Nobody's forcing you to pay tuition.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:09 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times
Apparently there are those who stand to make a lot of money from negatively reviewing the For Profit Schools at this particular time.

"A proposed regulation from the Education Department threatens to devastate for-profit career or trade schools, but one thing is even more controversial than the regulation -- how it was crafted."
"Education Department officials were encouraged and advised about the content of the regulation by a man who stood to make millions if it were issued."

Read more: Education Department Rules on For-Profit Schools Created With Investor's Help - FoxNews.com

Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Big hedge fund guy..stands to make billions if the Dept of Education follows what he says.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:05 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
No, but my tax dollars go to government grants for schools that grossly overcharge and have a staggerig rate of people defaulting on their loans and terrible job placement.

Community Colleges take all the poor people or those who didn't graduate top of the class in hs, gives them regional aggregation with isn't garbage like national, and all for at least 1/3 of the cost. At least.

And I read about one law they want to pass. It says if x amount of your students are being left with unpayable loans, they will block them off from federal funding. Pretty much trying to stop educations version of sub prime mortgages.

A good thing. They justify their cost because they claim they are taking the poor. Again, so do community colleges, and what you get is far, far better. Better in every single way. There is nothing a for profit offers that is better than a community college save for maybe a plethora of online classes. Because online courses cost thousands of dollars. They know they can get the students these huge loans.

And after that, they've got the money. Who cares if the student can pay it back. Nano cares if they provide all these bogus numbers, practically lying about potential earnings.

Last edited by Megadell; 05-31-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 05:50 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,523,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I disagree and I think you make far too many generalizations. We are fortunate to have these schools, as they present more options for anyone to obtain an education. Not everyone can save someone's life, swim the English Channel to freedom, get a 4.8 GPA, get perfect scores on the SAT, and take 25 Honors and Advanced Placement classes just in their senior year to qualify for Stanford admission. Not everyone can afford schools you deem as "reputable." Not everyone is willing to go into tremendous depth to attend a school whose ranking you respect. Some people have to take care of kids, the elderly, or a sick family member and were not able to get the kind of grades in high school that accurately reflects their level of intelligence. Plenty of legitimate reasons why people attend these schools, and I applaud anyone who seeks to further their education in whatever form they choose to do it in. Accredited degrees can be earned online now and I think this is incredible.

Many of these schools are accredited by the DETC, a national accreditation agency, and are seeking regional accreditation. Regional accreditation takes years, so being relatively new, I don't think these schools should be slammed because they don't now have regional accreditation. National accreditation is the norm for these schools at the moment. DTEC accreditation is one sign that the school is legitimate and offers a challenging curriculum. Of course, like any school, you get out what you put into it. I also don't think these schools are as expensive as you imply. They are far cheaper than Ivy league schools.

Anyone without experience is going to catch hell getting hired. This is especially true if they don't network or don't know someone. A prestigious school like Harvard certainly opens doors, but not everyone is fortunate enough to go there. These people shouldn't be shunned either. A potential employer who is shallow and short-sighted enough to only judge a potential candidate by the name of their school is certainly not an ideal employer that I would care to work for, I prefer employers who are more interested in WHAT I know, not where I learned it. In this regard, these types of schools have great value for those willing to work hard to earn their credentials.

About Ivy league, they certainly are the gold standard, but even Yale is capable of graduating a village idiot (Bush). Going to Harvard does not guarantee that a successful attorney will not commit suicide one day.

It's really about the person, not the place.
That is what a community college is for. For profits get a degree that employers don't respect.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:31 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I spent a good chunk of last year working on a regional accreditation report for a public college, and can say that there really are no excuses for not gong the regional accreditation route. Yes, the paperwork is tedious and you're required to explain the times when everything went pear-shaped and how you fixed it from that point onwards, but it really is the school being too lazy or too cheap to go the regional route.

As for Harvard and similar elite tier high endowment schools, if your family makes less than $60K a year, you'll essentially go there for free. Show me a for-profit that can beat totally free with no student loan debt at the end.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Apparently the Department of Education cares: Big student debt could limit schools' aid access - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Big-student-debt-could-limit-apf-3648991345.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=main&asset= &ccode= - broken link)

Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 AM

415 posts, read 449,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
The US is not a free country. This is just a BS babbling everybody loves to repeat. I'm sure you don't want them to let a scam slide because "it's a free country, you didn't have to fall for it.".

And Harvard has to do this ( although I would love to see a link for that ). If they didn't, nobody would go there. And at the end of the day everybody else is subsidizing that, which I don't have a problem with, but it highlights how much of a scam those schools are. Try to take as much as they can from everybody. The cost of attending is certainly not reasonable.
The best example of a failed for-profit school is probably University of Phoenix... and many others. The list is getting long. I knew 2 people attending U of P and I can truly say they did not learn a single thing there.

And you can't say " it's fortunate that we have those schools". The motto here isn't "better something than nothing" , because a crappy education is a waste of time and money. So "better nothing than something.".

As for regular brick and mortar public schools.. it's the same. You pay a huge amount of money for something you could have gotten significantly cheaper somewhere else. People just burden themselves with a lot of debt. That's the last thing we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities