Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:38 PM

155 posts, read 291,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I'm not making anything up. Go look up income and employment data in regards to for profit graduates.
So you don't know what employers think about the graduates.

Income and Employment data say nothing about whether employers respect or don't respect for-profit graduates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Serious question; I've been trying to find a good list out there for places that offer a distance learning degree for a BS in Public Administration but I've had no luck. Are there any out there? Ones that are accredited of course.
At the BA/BS level, I'd probably think more of an accounting major and public administration/political science minor. The skills that will get you in the door are often a) understanding the financial and budgetary side of things and b) being able to write well and concisely, and it's harder to find a decent numbers person than it is to find a good writer.

Public Administration seems to show up more often at the masters level; a lot of the content at the undergrad level is not too different than a business degree.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
So you don't know what employers think about the graduates.

Income and Employment data say nothing about whether employers respect or don't respect for-profit graduates.
They say everything about what for profits produce. The ability to get a job and income level are related to your degree. When you accept anyone and only 20% graduate it's rather clear why for profit degree holders lag well behind in every category compared to traditional schools.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
They say everything about what for profits produce. The ability to get a job and income level are related to your degree. When you accept anyone and only 20% graduate it's rather clear why for profit degree holders lag well behind in every category compared to traditional schools.
Ok, those are fascinating theories, but you original claim was that employers do not respect degrees from for-profits.

You are misleading the OP and being disingenuous about it in your deflection to other unrelated topics.

I will ask again. How do you know what the employers think about the degrees earned by for-profit graduates?

Do you have access to employer surveys that speak to this issue of respect? Do you work for employers that have considered hiring for-profit graduates? Are you psychic?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
I know tons of people in a wide range of fields whondont hire for profits. People with full sail degrees getting turned down for audio engineering jobs in dc.

Business jobs for defense contractors in dc. Tech jobs for engineering jobs in va. Medical jobs.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I know tons of people in a wide range of fields whondont hire for profits. People with full sail degrees getting turned down for audio engineering jobs in dc.

Business jobs for defense contractors in dc. Tech jobs for engineering jobs in va. Medical jobs.
They are doing a search right now in my department for someone who needs a masters or PHD. If you went to a for profit you have no chance. These candidates however are in the sciences which seem to look down on those type of degrees more than say someone with an MBA.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times
Quote:
Ok, those are fascinating theories, but you original claim was that employers do not respect degrees from for-profits.

You are misleading the OP and being disingenuous about it in your deflection to other unrelated topics.

I will ask again. How do you know what the employers think about the degrees earned by for-profit graduates?

Do you have access to employer surveys that speak to this issue of respect? Do you work for employers that have considered hiring for-profit graduates? Are you psychic?
"Far too many for-profit schools are saddling students with debt they cannot afford in exchange for degrees and certificates they cannot use. This is a disservice to students and taxpayers, and undermines the valuable work being done by the for-profit education industry as a whole."

For-Profit Schools Have High Loan Default Rates - Capital News Service (http://www.capitalnews.vcu.edu/2011/05/for-profit-schools-have-high-loan-default-rates.html - broken link)

The Obama Administration has also incorporated regulation against these schools for this very reason.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:

You don't like the facts is the problem. All of the evidence is out there in other threads that you have already posted in and threads you have started on the topic.

Last edited by Gatornation; 06-15-2011 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
You don't like the facts is the problem. All of the evidence is out there in other threads that you have already posted in and threads you have started on the topic.

The original OP asked about issues related to for-profit schools.

I recognize the facts that have been laid out in this forum. Great points and statistics that for-profits must deal with in order to improve their reputation in higher education.

Yet, you made a claim that employers disrespect for-profit degrees. I don't think I am asking for much that you provide some evidence to support your claim. If not, your credibility related to this topic is questionable.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
The original OP asked about issues related to for-profit schools.

I recognize the facts that have been laid out in this forum. Great points and statistics that for-profits must deal with in order to improve their reputation in higher education.

Yet, you made a claim that employers disrespect for-profit degrees. I don't think I am asking for much that you provide some evidence to support your claim. If not, your credibility related to this topic is questionable.
Well, it's mostly anecdotal but my company won't hire peope who have for profit degrees, neither would the last company I worked for and neither will my Father, who owns his own business. An old friend of mine graduated from U of P a few years back even though he spent the entire time high on meth. What does that tell you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities