Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times

Advertisements

I am an international student applying to universities in the U.S. I have been accepted to:

University of Washington - Seattle, WA
Reed College - Portland, OR
University of Texas - Austin, TX
UMass Amherst - Amherst, MA
University of Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh, PA
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville, AR

I applied to an eclectic mix of colleges and was rejected from 2: an Ivy and NYU.

I applied to this variety because a) I am unsure what region I'd like to study in and b) I wasn't sure if I was aiming too high so needed back-ups.

Where would you advise me to go?

I like all of my choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 01:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,519,494 times
You should look at which schools are strongest in your area of study and which ones will give you the best financial aid package. It's hard to give you advice without knowing your intended major.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:11 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,196,270 times
If you like BBQ, University of Arkansas is a very good choice.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:14 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,375,137 times
Well you can't go wrong with Reed.

Old 11-29-2013, 02:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,612 times
Sorry. Forgot to mention major: History.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:34 PM

678 posts, read 1,069,134 times
First develop a career plan that revolves around your major and then study the curriculum that's offered at each school. Your goal is to use the university's programs and resources as a springboard to start your career. The cost of college is high but it's worth it if you have a plan and know how you will get a ROI. If you're not sure or if you find it difficult to make a career plan then you should stick to a low cost school. Don't discount going to community college for a couple of years to save money or taking CLEP exams to get out of some of your GE requirements.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:08 PM

17,738 posts, read 29,997,660 times
Reed

Old 11-29-2013, 05:43 PM

133 posts, read 317,641 times
Son is a senior engineering student at Pitt, absolutely loves it there. His first room mate is also a senior history major. Pittsburgh is a nice city, and also a very affordable place to live, we have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the education he is receiving either.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:20 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,519,494 times
I think University of Texas, Austin is the highest ranked school in general history on your list (#17). The other schools aren't even close. It also depends on if you're specializing; there is a separate ranking for each specialization. UT Austin ranks #1 for Latin American history and #12 for Modern U.S. History. I didn't see any of the other schools on your list ranked in the specializations. University of Texas, Austin has one of the largest endowments in the country, but that might be a little misleading since the whole system is made up of several independent schools. I live a little over an hour south of Austin and have been there a couple of times. The music scene there is great. The summers are really hot and long in this region, but the winters are mild. You won't have to worry much about snow or scraping ice off your windshield.

Within their respective categories (national universities and national liberal arts colleges), UT Austin and University of Washington are the highest ranked overall (#52).

Edit: University of Washington is ranked #10 for Asian History.

Last edited by L210; 11-29-2013 at 06:35 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,420,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
Son is a senior engineering student at Pitt, absolutely loves it there. His first room mate is also a senior history major. Pittsburgh is a nice city, and also a very affordable place to live, we have absolutely no complaints about the quality of the education he is receiving either.
Undergrad engineering programs are for all intent standardized since they must meet ABET accreditation. Your kid probably would have gotten the same education throughout the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities