Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 PM

45,594 posts, read 61,013,469 times

Advertisements

When I was in college the trade off was a sexual favor. My how times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 PM

530 posts, read 1,365,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post
You earned a B.
I think you made a typo

I earned (and deserve) the A. But I acquired a B+.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,397,609 times
What evidence do you have that you earned an A? If the prof miscalculated the grade, then ask him or her to please recalculate. Or are you saying you earned an A because you're sentimental and want one? You should have thought of that long before the end of the semester.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:35 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,484,806 times
Rather than argue with strangers, go in and ask.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:02 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,365,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I think you made a typo

No, you didn't. Had you met the requirements for an A, you would have one. Instead, you are visiting us nocturnals

Old 12-13-2013, 05:00 AM

5,070 posts, read 6,378,525 times
Quote:
I'm taking 5 courses and all of my other courses will be an "A", so I want all A's.
You'd like all A's. I'd like a pony. I'm not getting that, either.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,468,778 times
Quote:
I think you made a typo

If you earned an A your grade would have been an A. You earned a B+. Your teacher is already giving you a gift of having such a low grading scale. Our kids' HIGH SCHOOL didn't even grade that low. The bottom of any A for them in college is 94%, your 90% would be a B at their school...89% would be a B- maybe...

Old 12-13-2013, 06:13 AM

9,880 posts, read 11,274,054 times
This is a life lesson in getting things that you want. Probably more important than the class that you are taking. It's called learning to sell 101. When you hone that skill, it will come in handy with thousands of topics in life.

If you have shown your teacher that you are passionate about learning, that will help immensely. It's smart to ask questions in class, in person, etc. Just enough so that they know who you are (not a kiss butt). Let them know that getting that grade is important to you and ask if their is extra credit opportunities early on. If there are opportunities for extra credit, then do them. When there are situations like this one and you are on the bubble, subtly let them know how hard to worked. Don't beg. Just let them know you are anxious for their decision. Weave in the conversation why grades are important (applying to ________ program etc). You want that last minute of mind-share before the grade is placed in the books.

If he/she knows who you are, ask what her policy is if you are only a point away is a good openign line. Teachers are like anyone else. It is tough for people to look you in the eyes and say no. The lesson is if you don't ask, you don't get. Your inflections in your voice and learning to read people is a life lesson they don't teach. Let her know that you respect her decision and you would appreciate if you could round it up a percent.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:47 AM

22,726 posts, read 47,965,487 times
Quote:

I earned (and deserve) the A.
No, and no.

If you earned it, you would already have it.
And, deserve? Seriously?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:58 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,296,095 times
I so much want to take this to an inappropriate place, but with this type of entitlement attitude, the disappoints you will face in life will be punishment enough.

Quote:
I took a hard class and my final grade ended up being an 89 (the grades have not been officially posted yet).

What is the most EFFECTIVE method for asking the professor to boost it up just ONE point!? I'm soooo close to an "A"!!

Some teachers automatically do this but i'm not sure if this one will
To answer your question: You are not asking for a pity grade; no professor worth his or her weight in academic salt (integrity) is going to be willing to boost your grade from a B+ to an A- without some serious demonstration on your part that you have mastered the material. And I mean serious demonstration. You need to drop the whole "sentimental" (let me guess, you breezed through high school with straight A's) and "this class was hard!" attitude. That is not professional, and even if you are a first-semester college freshman, you are expected to act like a professional at this point. You need to go into the meeting (do not do this through email!) prepared. Bring in all tests, papers, and other assignments and be ready to go over them with a fine tooth comb.

You also need to accept that what ever happens, it is final.

By the way, I cannot be the only one who is curious: what was the course?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities