Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:29 PM

167 posts, read 377,730 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if getting accepted to present a poster, paper, or panel at as an undergraduate student at a national conference is beneficial?

I got the opportunity to present a research poster at a conference my team and I worked on a few months ago. In a couple of months I will be presenting another research poster at a conference. I am submitting two more proposals to two more conferences in the upcoming months and am waiting to know if they accepted my proposal to present essays.

How beneficial is it to get opportunities like these? Do employers (I'm applying for jobs soon) and graduate school committees (I intend to attend graduate school in a few years) see this as a good thing or could they care less and want top notch grades? I plan on graduating in May.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Absolutely! This is what college is all about. Learning and then presenting what you learned. Everyone should do this once or twice during their undergrad.

It looks really good on a resume to be a presenter at a conference. It's one of the best ways to show that you've succeeded in learning at college.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Absolutely! This is what college is all about. Learning and then presenting what you learned. Everyone should do this once or twice during their undergrad.

It looks really good on a resume to be a presenter at a conference. It's one of the best ways to show that you've succeeded in learning at college.
This.

I would say that conference presentations are more important for science undergrads than arts/social science undergrads. Science undergrads generally were helping a grad student and/or faculty member in a collaborative project, thus giving more opportunities. Arts/social science projects tend to be individual works, and the individual often doesn't have the research experience and training until master's level at least. Of course, a precocious arts/social science undergrad is always welcome.

I am basing this off my observations as a grad student and conference presenter.

If you can get funding of any sort (grant, award, etc) from your department, that is a major bonus on MA/PhD applications as it demonstrates your future potential to win research grants.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 PM

167 posts, read 377,730 times
Thank you NJBest and Amerlorn for your answers! I appreciate it.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:02 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,918,577 times
>I was wondering if getting accepted to present a poster, paper, or panel at as an undergraduate student at a national conference is beneficial?

Highly beneficial on a number of axes. However make sure it's not a lame conference.

There's a lot of bogus conferences being promoted by email. Ask a faculty advisor and go for quality not quantity. Do a good job and network too.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,027 times
Definitely gets noticed for both grad school and jobs. Also, if you are getting this many presentations, talk to your primary investigator about producing a paper. One paper I co-authored while I was an undergrad has ended up being cited 140+ times over the 20 years since it was written.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
Very beneficial. Essential in the academic world, for many disciplines, especially the more competitive ones. It's a start on publishing, which is the next step and is even more impressive.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
I wish I had done that back when I was an undergrad with little to lose.. so seize the opportunity and DO IT.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:44 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,720,749 times
Yes it is a good experience. Put it on your CV. Some colleges encourage their professors to co-author papers with worthy students. I also think that is a great practice. In either case, most undergraduates have no idea what they have gotten themselves into for the first few months of graduate school. You will.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
Absolutely a good thing.

At the worst it could only be neutral (well, unless you are presenting on the benefits of modern puppy torture using prehistoric devices or something like that)

This is a skill set that plays in many different settings - it is also a setting where you can talk to and learn from others at the conference

Challenge yourself to not only do the presentation, but also to not be a wallflower .......... talk to the other presenters, the panel, the attendees ....... network and grab ideas of what is out there and relevant to your interests

This is a great opportunity that will play beyond just your resume or future applications

Besides, you'd be amazed at how many people are intimidated by giving a presentation and how many people struggle with that - this sets you apart in a very clear way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities