Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Everyone is entitled an opinion. That doesn't mean that it is correct.

Cooper Union provides a great service to academia. The one thing I like about them is that they aren't all about the BS of the private sector. They are about providing back to arts and engineering.

P.S. I'm on the adjunct faculty at cooper. I hope they can continue to support the financial and educational support they have to their undergraduate students in the past.
I used the article as a reference. Most college Cancellors or Presidents are more like CEOs. For example, they shut down UAB football because supposedly the school was losing money, yet enrollment was up, tuition was up, and research dollars were up. The heart of the matter was that it was hurting financial interests at the University of Alabama when UA already has a ton of money to begin with.

My thoughts are, if college wasn't a business then why big new buildings when enrollment is stagnant? Why do colleges try to grow? Is it for the education or for making money?

Non-profit Colleges Can Be Very Profitable | The John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 02:44 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,245,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I'm surprised only 25 individuals applied for that position. Usually there are a 100+ applicants for a job paying 50k with benefits.
We may have had more than 25 but HR does an initial screening. There were only 25 that met the minimum requirements as HR defined them. Although we found more that HR did not catch, ie: people that had art history undergraduate degrees but an MBA graduate degree. They specifically had to have an art history MA or higher or a certain number of art history graduate credits (enough for a masters, essentially).

I was also surprised that there were not more than 25, but we find this to be the case in more recruitments than you'd expect. Even when there are 75+ applicants, we often find that only 1/3rd of them are truly in contention.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:58 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Although we found more that HR did not catch, ie: people that had art history undergraduate degrees but an MBA graduate degree...
You found MBAs who wanted a job that pays $50K plus benefits? Did they go to a school with a recognizable name? Good-school MBAs expect and usually get six figures.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:26 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
The students should still be able to think for themselves. Why aren't their parents raising them to think?

Well, at least that's a good thing. Unless the student wants to go to vocational school and enter the skilled labor market.

I agree that there's a place for students who shouldn't or don't want to attend college. And that place does lead to good jobs in the skilled labor market.

As we know, most colleges are trash. The good ones have plenty of funding but are also extremely selective. If a student decides to attend a university that is in it just for the money, that's their own fault.

College is not a business. They don't sell products. The goal of a 4-year degree is to prepare a student for entering grad school and eventually completing college with a terminal degree such as an MD or PhD. The fact that most students drop out of college before completing is on them.

I agree that loans should be dischargeable and not be guaranteed by the government. They should be just like other personal loans and be based on risk. If the student has good credit or a co-signer with great credit, then they should receive a loan. Otherwise not. The school should play no part in the loan process.

It's great that many schools provide generous amounts of grant funding so students don't have to pay much to attend.

However, when your parents attended it cost much much less than it did the century prior. Between the 1920s and 1990s college was extremely affordable compared to historic norms. So to say it's 5x today than it was when your parents attended is a misleading representation of where college tuition really is today. Look at tuition compared to median income for the past several centuries. The reason that college tuition dropped was because of government meddling. The reason that is has recently increased is because it's now catching up to the norms. The only difference is that there's thousands of extra low quality universities that popped up due to easy financing. Get rid of all government support for colleges and the good ones will survive. The rest will fall.

When you attend college, one of the things you will learn is how to sample time accurately. By sampling a small period (when your parents attended), your whole conclusion was bias based on extreme values.
One of things you should have learned from attending college is how to avoid typing drivel. So, I'm guessing that you didn't attend college.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
One of things you should have learned from attending college is how to avoid typing drivel. So, I'm guessing that you didn't attend college.
You guessed incorrectly. Your ability to make such an assessment is surely flawed.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:32 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,186 times
Quote:
You guessed incorrectly. Your ability to make such an assessment is surely flawed.
Explain how college isnt a business? They have recruiting events, charge an outrageous amount of money, force people to take worthless classes to keep them around longer and charge more money, and their upper management make hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars.

All "non-profit" means is tax exempt.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
Explain how college isnt a business? They have recruiting events, charge an outrageous amount of money, force people to take worthless classes to keep them around longer and charge more money, and their upper management make hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of dollars.

All "non-profit" means is tax exempt.
You might want to attend a business program at a college. The term non-profit is not defined by tax status. Non-profit simply means that revenue is not passed to stakeholders.

Colleges have recruiting events to attract the brightest students. It's hard to say they charge an outrageous amount when the price is still lower than historical averages.

What worthless classes do colleges require students to take? It makes me wonder what college you attended. There's lots of low quality universities out there. If you went to a decent one like JHU, Michigan or Harvard, I'm sure you wouldn't refer to their classes as worthless.

Upper management makes hundreds of thousands of dollars in all sectors. Managing such big operations is a job that takes an enormous amount of talent.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:03 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,111,186 times
Quote:
You might want to attend a business program at a college. The term non-profit is not defined by tax status. Non-profit simply means that revenue is not passed to stakeholders.

Colleges have recruiting events to attract the brightest students. It's hard to say they charge an outrageous amount when the price is still lower than historical averages.

What worthless classes do colleges require students to take? It makes me wonder what college you attended. There's lots of low quality universities out there. If you went to a decent one like JHU, Michigan or Harvard, I'm sure you wouldn't refer to their classes as worthless.

Upper management makes hundreds of thousands of dollars in all sectors. Managing such big operations is a job that takes an enormous amount of talent.
Thanks for the backhanded insult but Ill ignore it. I went to a good flagship state school and graduated and got a good job. John Hopkins University is ~60k a year and is absolutely only worth it if youre attending med school or getting a PhD there.

Every college has worthless gen ed requirements including the "elite" ones. I took Spanish and a few throw away humanities classes which were required and worthless towards my career. I dont need some horse $hit either about how they're necessary to make a well rounded person. They arent. Most humanities subjects can be learned at your local library easily. In fact, I read literature, history, sociology in my spare time but to be forced to pay money to do so...eh.

Colleges recruit to get money to stay in business period. There may not be shareholders but many of these employees are getting rich on government student loans, research grants and other state subsidies. My college president used to make about a million a year and got a free house, car and more. Thats more than the president of the country. Hes also given over a 500k pension upon retirement which is better than most CEOs get. And this isnt even the worst school.

Often colleges have been known to inflate job statistics. What would be the purpose of doing this if they weren't a business trying to recruit students and their taxpayer funded loans?

Including the middle ages into average historical college costs is also comical. At the time colleges were a place for strictly nobles to learn. But these days with our advanced economy college is necessary in many cases to learn advanced careers. And the supply of colleges is far higher than in the middle ages. If anything Id say the price is artificially high due to student loans being offered like candy by the government.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:58 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,170,171 times
Quote:

Yup, introduction to world religions is a much better class if you take it at Michigan than if you take it at Central Michigan........The quality of education you receive in Spanish 101 at Harvard is far and away better than the quality of education you receive at Baruch CUNY.......

While I agree every class can serve it's purpose the OP is correct in asserting that many gen ed requirements are becoming an issue when you are paying 1.5k to take a class that you could learn about for free at the library, especially if your major is economics, finance, or computer science instead of communication. Just because the gen ed is offered at a tier 1 school doesn't mean you're somehow getting this magical knowledge about world religions that can't be had at a tier 3 school. Your elitism is rather funny.

Last edited by mizzourah2006; 12-03-2015 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-04-2015, 02:10 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,923,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Yup, introduction to world religions is a much better class if you take it at Michigan than if you take it at Central Michigan........
It is, because the students are there to learn. The professor may not be any better, but on average he or she is...

The next time you see a professor on the TV news discussing world religions, check out where he went to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities