Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 03:24 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,393,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are no undergrad levels of PT (physical therapy) or PA (Physician's Assistant). These are graduate programs. An athletic training degree will not fulfil the requirements for PT school. See below:
Curriculum | Athletic Training | Hofstra University

Here are the requirements for the University of Colorado PT program. Other schools are similar.
DPT Prerequisites | School of Medicine | University of Colorado Denver

Do note some courses CAN be taken at a CC. In fact, only anat and phys, and upper division science elective courses can NOT be taken at a CC.

To Swimmom2, both PT programs and PA programs are very competitive. PA programs in particular have way more applicants than slots available, and many students far exceed the minimum requirements.
I know but this is what he wants to do...he would be hopefully heading to Stockton or UMDJ here in Jersey again its 3 years
so time will tell

he will hold an Exercise Science Degree BS, same degree as the one he would get from Rutgers when we met with the school..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
There are undergraduate physician assistant programs. This is being phased out, but all one currently needs is an undergraduate certificate in order to become licensed. The certificate programs are often offered at community colleges.
Physician Assistant BS | Programs of Study
Red Rocks Community College :: Physician Assistant Program
Physician Assistant Program - Physician Assistant Certificate Program
Of the links you provided:

1. The RIT program is a combined bachelors/master's program
2. The Red Rocks and Anne Arundel programs require a bachelor's degree to get in.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:46 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,334,002 times
Quote:
There are no undergrad levels of PT (physical therapy) or PA (Physician's Assistant). These are graduate programs. An athletic training degree will not fulfil the requirements for PT school. See below:
Curriculum | Athletic Training | Hofstra University

Here are the requirements for the University of Colorado PT program. Other schools are similar.
DPT Prerequisites | School of Medicine | University of Colorado Denver

Do note some courses CAN be taken at a CC. In fact, only anat and phys, and upper division science elective courses can NOT be taken at a CC.

To Swimmom2, both PT programs and PA programs are very competitive. PA programs in particular have way more applicants than slots available, and many students far exceed the minimum requirements.
Athletic Training very much is a feeder program to PT schools, many PT schools have a combined AT/PT program where you get your UG and PT doctorate in a shorter time, similar to the 7 year UG/Med school programs.....

AT Faculty and Staff

Meet the CU Sports Medicine Team | Orthopedics | University of Colorado Denver even at Colorado the PT's are also AT's...wow....

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Athletic Training very much is a feeder program to PT schools, many PT schools have a combined AT/PT program where you get your UG and PT doctorate in a shorter time, similar to the 7 year UG/Med school programs.....

AT Faculty and Staff

Meet the CU Sports Medicine Team | Orthopedics | University of Colorado Denver even at Colorado the PT's are also AT's...wow....
Actually, the UW LaCrosse physical therapy program has much the same pre-reqs as CU, and few of them seem to be offered in the Athletic training program.
Prereq Courses | Physical Therapy Program | UW-La Crosse

In addition, the UW LaCrosse campus has a pre-PT program which is nothing like that Athletic Training program, either.
Pre Professional Programs

Athletic Training is, well, athletic training.

Note that their dual Bachelors/PT programs award an undergraduate degree in BIOLOGY or PHYSICS, not Athletic Training.
Dual Degree Programs | College of Science and Health | UW-La Crosse

Note what they say about "Pre-PT" programs:

Maybe you are confusing "Athletic Training" with "Exercise Science", which can be a pre-PT program if you choose the right courses.

Advising
**The Exercise Science Program Pre-professional Track is specifically designed for students interested in going on to graduate school for a career that uses the clinical application of exercise or activity - such as physical therapy, cardiac rehabilitation, etc.**

The CU link is about their Sports Medicine Clinic, not an academic program.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Actually, the UW LaCrosse physical therapy program has much the same pre-reqs as CU, and few of them seem to be offered in the Athletic training program.
Prereq Courses | Physical Therapy Program | UW-La Crosse

In addition, the UW LaCrosse campus has a pre-PT program which is nothing like that Athletic Training program, either.

Athletic Training is, well, athletic training.

Note that their dual Bachelors/PT programs award an undergraduate degree in BIOLOGY or PHYSICS, not Athletic Training.
Dual Degree Programs | College of Science and Health | UW-La Crosse

Note what they say about "Pre-PT" programs:

Maybe you are confusing "Athletic Training" with "Exercise Science", which can be a pre-PT program if you choose the right courses.

Advising
**The Exercise Science Program Pre-professional Track is specifically designed for students interested in going on to graduate school for a career that uses the clinical application of exercise or activity - such as physical therapy, cardiac rehabilitation, etc.**

The CU link is about their Sports Medicine Clinic, not an academic program.
You have no idea what athletic training is do you??? I am not confusing the two....the point of the links was to look at the initials after their names--most of the PT's are also ATC's....

Ask your daughter, she will know....and understand....

Old 03-18-2014, 06:22 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,483,666 times
Quote:
Of the links you provided:

1. The RIT program is a combined bachelors/master's program
2. The Red Rocks and Anne Arundel programs require a bachelor's degree to get in.
The community college programs still aren't graduate-level programs.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
The community college programs still aren't graduate-level programs.
They are beyond a BA/BS.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM

22 posts, read 43,181 times
My student loan debt will be about $35,000 when I graduate in about a month and compared to a lot of friends I'm not nearly as much in the hole. I started out a a state school where I dormed and if I continued there I would have racked up over $60k. As I'm approaching graduation I'm happy I ended up transferring to another state college where I could commute and I've saved at least $25k by making that decision. In the fall I will be attending grad school at another college close to home and it should bring my total to about $45,000 when it's all said in done.

I have a friend who is currently at $150k and it's mind boggling. They attend a private liberal arts school and have lived on campus all four years. I know they received a small amount of money, but clearly it didn't help all that much. If a college like this didn't offer me a good amount of money, even if it were my dream school, I'd forget about the whole thing. I will give them a little credit for taking some courses at the local cc to help with the cost, but I really fear for them. I also have a friend who attended UPenn and owes less than me on account of scholarship money. I think too many people turn a blind eye towards college finances and stick the idea in the back of their minds because they're not paying them in that instance, but once those six months are up it hits them hard.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterquill View Post
My student loan debt will be about $35,000 when I graduate in about a month and compared to a lot of friends I'm not nearly as much in the hole. I started out a a state school where I dormed and if I continued there I would have racked up over $60k. As I'm approaching graduation I'm happy I ended up transferring to another state college where I could commute and I've saved at least $25k by making that decision. In the fall I will be attending grad school at another college close to home and it should bring my total to about $45,000 when it's all said in done.

I have a friend who is currently at $150k and it's mind boggling. They attend a private liberal arts school and have lived on campus all four years. I know they received a small amount of money, but clearly it didn't help all that much. If a college like this didn't offer me a good amount of money, even if it were my dream school, I'd forget about the whole thing. I will give them a little credit for taking some courses at the local cc to help with the cost, but I really fear for them. I also have a friend who attended UPenn and owes less than me on account of scholarship money. I think too many people turn a blind eye towards college finances and stick the idea in the back of their minds because they're not paying them in that instance, but once those six months are up it hits them hard.
You still have to look past the extremes though...average student loan dept nationally is still only $30,000 and while it seems like a big number, compared to the average starting salary of just under $50,000, it really not that big of a deal.

My question for you is, why are you going right to grad school? Is it necessary?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:33 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Cost of living in the "south" is less too so that $30,000 goes a lot farther than $50,000 in NYC.

Well, that is why they are called 'averages" the $30,000 salary in Alabama averages out the $70,000 salary in NYC. You can also buy a house for $100,000 in most places in the south, a nice house, but you can't even get an apartment for that house payment in NYC so making $100,000 in Mississippi isn't as crucial. "Lost salary" only really matters if you can't pay your bills.
Taxes and housing are the costs that vary most significantly, but other significant costs (like an automobile's price) are relatively static and others (food, gasoline, utilities) will probably vary less than taxes and housing. You'll also have additional costs in some areas (road tolls/parking fees in the NE, but none in the rural South). I'm in the Boston suburbs and the cost of food is essentially the same as back home in rural TN where salaries are far, far less for equivalent paying jobs, but most other things are somewhat more expensive to a lot more expensive.

Whether this is a wash for you is a case-by-case decision, but people in these suburbs seem to be doing a lot better than people back home, where poverty is obvious and many are on the dole in some fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
What's the difference? If young people are making significantly more with a degree than without a degree it might take 4 years to break even in a lower pay area. That earning differential stays with you for your ENTIRE LIFE not just for your first job. It still makes sense for people to get a degree if they can take on reasonable amounts of debt (let's say no more than they expect to make their first year working). It might not make sense to accumulate huge amounts of debt but some debt is not the end of the world.
The Fortune 500 client I worked for back in TN hired chemical, mechanical, and electrical engineers out of college for $34-$37k. One year at a school like Vanderbilt runs more than this purely on sticker price. A person could rack up $35k of debt in two years at a state school like UT-Knoxville easily, assuming they were not working or living at home (a worst case scenario)

Even for a "marketable" major like engineering, the degree is not worth it living in TN because debt (even if managed relatively well) is likely to be far higher than starting salaries. The amount of debt one will take on to get that engineering degree is going to be a tremendous burden on such a low salary.

Some areas have few jobs where a college education is required or even useful. In such a situation, the payscales of everyone are pushed down and the degree is not that useful. Granted, an engineer has a higher potential for increasing income than a sociology major, but the same problems are evident with both degree holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities