Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,715,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Not everyone knows what they want to do at 18.

Besides, I've known plenty of people who went to college sure of what they wanted to do and they ended up taking classes in other subjects that changed their minds. They found their passions elsewhere.

I knew someone who was sure that she wanted to be a doctor. But she got a D in Chemistry in college and finally realized that medical school might not be for her.
That's true that not everyone knows at 18. It's tough to know what you want to do at 18, hell even some people at 40 have no idea and just end up wasting away their days in dead end jobs. I am not saying every 18yo has no idea but you can't expect everyone to know what they want either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,603,710 times
Probably because their parents/adult influences/schools conditioned them to believe that they would automatically fail at life if they didn't go.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM

151 posts, read 424,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
That's true that not everyone knows at 18. It's tough to know what you want to do at 18, hell even some people at 40 have no idea and just end up wasting away their days in dead end jobs. I am not saying every 18yo has no idea but you can't expect everyone to know what they want either.
I don't know why so many people are answering a different question than what was asked.

I never said that an 18 year old should know what they want to do. I asked why they would go to college if they don't know what they want to do.

The implication being, if you don't know what you want to do, just don't go to college until you do know.

I'm not going to gamble my hard earned money away on college in hopes that I might figure it out soon enough. You better believe I'm going to have well planed goals before I start borrowing against my future-self by dropping five-figure checks on a "hope it works out".

Not knowing what you want to do implies that you don't know what salary range you're going to end up in. Which means you are taking out loans when you don't even know if you'll have prospects of a salary capable of paying them off. How could anyone in their right mind do something like that? I just can't help but question one's sanity when they make decisions like that.

Why do I care, you ask? Because when the education bubble bursts, millions of students are going to default on their loans and I as a tax payer will be footing the bill, as usual.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I don't know why so many people are answering a different question than what was asked.

I never said that an 18 year old should know what they want to do. I asked why they would go to college if they don't know what they want to do.

The implication being, if you don't know what you want to do, just don't go to college until you do know.

I'm not going to gamble my hard earned money away on college in hopes that I might figure it out soon enough. You better believe I'm going to have well planed goals before I start borrowing against my future-self by dropping five-figure checks on a "hope it works out".

Not knowing what you want to do implies that you don't know what salary range you're going to end up in. Which means you are taking out loans when you don't even know if you'll have prospects of a salary capable of paying them off. How could anyone in their right mind do something like that? I just can't help but question one's sanity when they make decisions like that.

Why do I care, you ask? Because when the education bubble bursts, millions of students are going to default on their loans and I as a tax payer will be footing the bill, as usual.
Why would you drop 5 figure checks on college--that would just be outright foolish.

Federal loans are capped at $30,000 so unless you are foolish enough to take out private loans, even working full-time retail after you graduate should generate enough income to pay off $30,000 in student loans. Maybe a little more research into actual costs, etc. would help you understand why people go to college with a general idea but not a set in stone plan...

Old 04-07-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Why would you drop 5 figure checks on college--that would just be outright foolish.

Federal loans are capped at $30,000 so unless you are foolish enough to take out private loans, even working full-time retail after you graduate should generate enough income to pay off $30,000 in student loans. Maybe a little more research into actual costs, etc. would help you understand why people go to college with a general idea but not a set in stone plan...
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Aggregate Loan Limit
$57,500 for undergrads
$138,500 for grads.
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans | Federal Student Aid

Old 04-07-2014, 06:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,338,491 times
Quote:
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Aggregate Loan Limit
$57,500 for undergrads
$138,500 for grads.
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans | Federal Student Aid
Those totals are not added together--it's either or.....unless you are an independent student I guess....but that's hard to prove if you are under 24.....

Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I failed a few classes in college and had to repeat them. In the end, I still graduated with an engineering degree.

Failure and struggle are a part of life. Nothing that is worthwhile comes easily.

Your friend did not try hard enough to achieve her dream and gave up too quickly.
Actually, considering how competitive med school admissions are, I think the friend probably made the right decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
People also go to college for the social connections, alumni connections, to add the college's brand to their resume, to explore their academic interests, and because college graduates continue to demonstrate much higher earning power than high school graduates. While many people on these forums seem to think that those reasons are somehow invalid, the idea that one must go to college with a specific career goal in mind strikes me as excessively rigid and narrow-minded.

Agreed.

Business degrees are not necessarily more valuable than any other degree in the arts or social sciences.

Agreed! That's what the football players at my university took, a large research university with a DI team.

Most people can take "core" or "general ed" requirements through the first 3-4 semesters without limiting their major choices very much. Transferring can be tricky, and most students would be well-advised to choose a school where they can switch majors without having to go to a different school.

I don't know where this idea comes from. "Gen ed" courses are also called "distribution courses" and have to be in certain areas. There are few "free" electives in college. The U of CO guarantees you can graduate in 4 years IF you don't have any academic deficiencies (from high school) to make up, AND you declare a major by the second semester of college, first for some majors.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements | University Catalog 2012-2013 (Also includes a list of gen ed requirements)
Four-Year Graduation Guarantee and Flexible First Year | College of Engineering and Applied Science | University of Colorado Boulder (For engineering in 4 years. Requires major to be chosen 8 weeks into 2nd semester.)

I think that an 18 year old with a clear idea of their professional path is likely delusional--unless they are already deeply involved in an actual career (i.e., top-tier athlete, musician, dancer, actor, etc.). College is, in part, about developing maturity. In some countries high school goes beyond the age of 18. That is a viable alternative, but would be a huge change in the US.

Which countries? In many European countries, the average student is done at age 16.

I could not have said it better.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Those totals are not added together--it's either or.....unless you are an independent student I guess....but that's hard to prove if you are under 24.....
Who claimed they were added together?

Oh, and let's not forget about the plus loans:

"There are no set annual or aggregate limits. You may borrow up to your full cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid you receive (including Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, scholarships, and certain fellowships)."
http://www.ifap.ed.gov/dlbulletins/a...0703Attach.pdf

How's that? Is unlimited enough?

Last edited by Wavelength; 04-07-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,023,069 times
Quote:
Who claimed they were added together?

Oh, and let's not forget about the plus loans:

"There are no set annual or aggregate limits. You may borrow up to your full cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid you receive (including Direct Subsidized Loans, Direct Unsubsidized Loans, scholarships, and certain fellowships)."
http://www.ifap.ed.gov/dlbulletins/a...0703Attach.pdf

How's that? Is unlimited enough?
You seem to forget that small things that help with the cost also exist. Things like scholarships, grants, work study, etc. Also, once you get to graduate level, schools are more inclined to pay you for the research that you will be providing them.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
You seem to forget that small things that help with the cost also exist. Things like scholarships, grants, work study, etc. Also, once you get to graduate level, schools are more inclined to pay you for the research that you will be providing them.
Depends on what you're doing in grad school. Science and engineering, yes. Professional school (law, medicine, PT, pharmacy), not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities