Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,381,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
What internship is that? I've never heard of an internship paying the equivalent of $84k/yr. Also, is he majoring exclusively in pure Math or is he double-majoring in Math and CS?

Is that something you read in the Wall Street Journal or something you've personally observed? Because neither I nor any of my Math major friends (besides the ones who were double-majoring in Math and CS) were getting pursued by tech companies.
He is a pure math major.....and yes, they are personal friends of mine and my own son like I stated....our son is double majoring in math and CS but he's taken 2 CS classes and the internships he has applied for are math based...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
I can guarantee you he didn't get an offer of $7,000/month for an internship just because he's "brilliant". I bet he's done independent work outside of school, participated in competitions, and maybe even has a publication. And I'm certain he didn't spend the majority of his time in college "figuring out what he wants to do."

If you have nothing on your resume other than a degree, you're definitely not even going to get an interview at a company paying that amount. Employers want to see accomplishments and demonstrated long term interest in the field. Not just some person who went to college because they decided that they want to start making more money.
I can guarantee you he did get the internships based on his brain. He had an internship last summer as well in Boston. He has nothing published.

Quote:
Agreed that that amount is pretty unbelievable. An internship paying that much is rare, even for top electrical engineering students at Stanford and MIT. People who get those offers have already had internships at other prestigious companies (Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.).

A junior undergrad does not get an offer like that just for being smart. I know a math PhD student from Stanford that has never even heard of an offer like that.

There's either some exaggeration or some important details being left out.
Feel free go google tech companies in the Silicone Valley and what they pay for internships . Here, let me help you.....

Interns at Google probably make more than you - Jun. 12, 2013

The Highest Paid Interns in Silicon Valley

it's really not uncommon in that field.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,009,186 times
Quote:
I got my degree because I had specific career goals in mind. I didn't go to college straight out of high school because I didn't know what I wanted to do at the time. It took me a few years to figure it out.

The purpose of a degree is to prove formal education relating to certain subjects. Most people need it as a stepping stone into their career.

So why would someone go to school when they don't even have a career in mind, and then try to match up jobs with their degree after they graduate? That makes about as much sense as going out and buying a tool for which you have no use for. And then wandering aimlessly around the house trying to find something to fix that requires that tool. It's just non-sense.

Don't tell me it's because they just want to get "educated" or "enlightened". It doesn't take tens of thousands of dollars and years of your life to audit courses or go to the library.

And don't tell me it's because employers are looking for just any degree. The kinds of jobs requiring an arbitrary degree are just more of the same crappy ones you already have access to without a degree.
If people had to wait until they knew what career they wanted, they'd probably never go to school. In fact, I know several who have been living at home working minimum wage jobs for years because they think they need to figure out a career before they go. But it's a catch 22 - you can't get the right kind of work experience to figure out what you want to do without any degree. College is a fairly safe 4 years to experiment and learn about different subjects, plus most schools give you 2 full years to declare a major.

I think it makes sense to get an undergraduate degree right away and then figure out what you want to do later - however, I also think that degree should be in something likely to lead to some kind of job. That way, if they discover that's not the career for them, at least they have a ticket to enter the workforce, hopefully in a somewhat related field, and make enough money to eventually do something different.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,152,522 times
Kids go to College to join a frat and go to Spring Break.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Kids go to College to join a frat and go to Spring Break.
Well, shoot, none of my kids were in frats, especially my daughter, and they have yet to take a spring break trip--wonder what they are doing in college besides that????

Old 04-07-2014, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Probably not. Those folks have been around forever.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 AM

24,571 posts, read 17,321,260 times
When I graduated high school I had no idea what I wanted to do. I wasn't even a good student but I went on to a Community College and earned a associates degree in science. I still didn't know what I wanted to do for a career but continuing school opened my eyes to more. Many years later I had a career goal and went back to school and was able to transfer most of my credits which saved me years of work and a pile of cash. I busted my butt between school and work but in the end it was worth it. I never did take a job in my chosen path but I am so much more enriched for the experience. Today I am very proud of my degrees.
Higher learning isn't for everyone but no doubt it helps to shape those who choose the path.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:08 AM

151 posts, read 424,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
He is a pure math major.....and yes, they are personal friends of mine and my own son like I stated....our son is double majoring in math and CS but he's taken 2 CS classes and the internships he has applied for are math based...

I can guarantee you he did get the internships based on his brain. He had an internship last summer as well in Boston. He has nothing published.

Feel free go google tech companies in the Silicone Valley and what they pay for internships . Here, let me help you.....

Interns at Google probably make more than you - Jun. 12, 2013

The Highest Paid Interns in Silicon Valley

it's really not uncommon in that field.....
I don't need to goggle tech companies in Silicon Valley. I went to college and work at a tech company in Silicon Valley (note the correct spelling).

I know first hand that those salaries exist. What I said, is that they go to graduate students with significant work and project experience on their resumes. Not to junior undergrads who are "smart". Google gets flooded with resumes. Many of which are from some of the smartest people in the world who have been programming since they were in grade school. Most resumes get tossed immediately.

Why would Google interview a Junior undergrad with no significant experience or achievements? What you are saying simply doesn't make any sense. I'm not just making this stuff up. I went to school here and work here. I know what it takes to get those jobs. And what you're describing to me, isn't even close.

Either someone is lying, or leaving out significant details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
If people had to wait until they knew what career they wanted, they'd probably never go to school. In fact, I know several who have been living at home working minimum wage jobs for years because they think they need to figure out a career before they go. But it's a catch 22 - you can't get the right kind of work experience to figure out what you want to do without any degree. College is a fairly safe 4 years to experiment and learn about different subjects, plus most schools give you 2 full years to declare a major.

I think it makes sense to get an undergraduate degree right away and then figure out what you want to do later - however, I also think that degree should be in something likely to lead to some kind of job. That way, if they discover that's not the career for them, at least they have a ticket to enter the workforce, hopefully in a somewhat related field, and make enough money to eventually do something different.
Actually, that's exactly how I figured out what I wanted to do. You make a lot of real world observations while working crappy jobs. I saw who had the best jobs, nicest cars, nicest houses, the most respect, and most importantly, were the happiest. In almost every case, it was either an engineer or someone with an engineering degree. And guess who got the bottom feeder jobs. Guess who hated their jobs and could barely drag themselves into the office everyday. People like me with no degree and people with liberal arts or general-do-nothing degrees.

I never would have experienced this in the sugar-coated bubble of college. A few years spent getting a cold, hard reality check is the best thing that ever happened to me. People who were encouraging me to start college right away certainly weren't doing me any favors. I just try to pass on the experience and advice that I wish someone had given me when I was a teenager. But some people don't want reality. They just want someone to tell them that they are doing the right thing and everything's going to work out and be great.

People almost never figure out what they want to do while in college. They just keep changing majors until the work load gets light enough that they can coast through. It usually goes something like this: Sci/Eng major -> business major -> liberal arts major. Never have I seen anyone change majors in the opposite direction.

And one more thing. College is not for everyone. If you want to go to college to hang out with friends and not learn any valuable skills, just skip it. You'll end up with a salary not much more than that of someone with no degree. Plus a mountain of debt and years of wasted time that could have been spent advancing your career.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:32 AM

um...ok, but I know this kid personally and I have the details....ask around...it could just be you are incorrect too....same goes for the freshman I know, she certainly doesn't have anything published yet...she's a math major but her internship is in an engineering area. Ask your internship department who they are hiring.....working there and being in the know are two different things....

Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 AM

The Best Internships For 2014 - Forbes

According to this article, the Master's candidates make far more than $7000/month...so, maybe, just maybe you are wrong???

Old 04-07-2014, 08:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
This is what I saw about pay: "They are well-paid (though Close won’t reveal figures)." Petroleum engineering does have the highest starting salaries in the field. "Bain internships are very well paid. Bevans wouldn’t reveal a number but according to a listing on salary ranking website Glassdoor, Bain MBA interns earn between $10,000 and $12,000 a month." Do note that Glassdoor is self-reports, and they're talking about master's students. And this: "The Capital Fellows Program based in Sacramento, Calif. . . . They get paid a stipend of $1,972 a month and receive six units of graduate-level academic credit in government or public policy." These interns are required to already have a bachelor's degree.

Now "well paid" can mean anything. The slide show indicated all were paid, but no salaries were stated. And keep in mind, the Bain salaries are for master's interns for one company, Bain Capital. The slide show says the internships are 10 weeks. Isn't that Mitt Romney's company?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-07-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities