Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:40 PM

250 posts, read 359,008 times

Advertisements

Are there any Universities that will offer out of state tuition wavers (in other words wave the out of state fees for out of staters) to someone with an AA from another college?

I know there are a few universities that offer these wavers to freshmen, but don't know if it also exists for transfers.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 05:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Financial aid for transfer students just isn't that good. Along with that, getting your credits to transfer is not going to be easy either. You best option is to go to a state school in your own state.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
This was recently posted on DegreeForum.
State & Regional College Tuition Discounts - National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators

Old 05-13-2014, 09:32 AM

778 posts, read 823,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Financial aid for transfer students just isn't that good. Along with that, getting your credits to transfer is not going to be easy either. You best option is to go to a state school in your own state.
I beg to differ, but the financial aid you get is going to depend heavily on your financial situation, and if you're under 24.

I transferred last year and could have afforded to attend any of the five state colleges I was accepted to, including my out-of-state option of UW-Eau Claire, which did offer me an out of state tuition waiver.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:59 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
There are neighboring states where colleges do this. I know Toledo University gives in state tuition to Michigan residents and Eastern Michigan accepts Ohioans.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:05 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Here in the PNW we have agreements between Idaho, Oregon, Washington and Montana. All of your CC college credits will transfer, if you're communicating with your future 4 year school early, and you can get tuition waivers while out of sate. I imagine that other states do this as well?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:36 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I beg to differ, but the financial aid you get is going to depend heavily on your financial situation, and if you're under 24.

I transferred last year and could have afforded to attend any of the five state colleges I was accepted to, including my out-of-state option of UW-Eau Claire, which did offer me an out of state tuition waiver.
WI schools are relatively cheep...and are part of several consortiums...'affording' is relative however and getting credits to transfer is another...

Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
WI schools are relatively cheep...and are part of several consortiums...'affording' is relative however and getting credits to transfer is another...
Just like most large state colleges, the UofW has DTA's with several local 2 year colleges. Meaning if you declare for the transfer program, then all of your eligible credits transfer to Wisconsin and you will enter as a Junior. Some of the schools offer online programs, and those transfer as well.

Most 4 year colleges do this.

Where people have problems is trying to get non-college level courses to transfer over, or trying to get credit for non-approved courses.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
Are there any Universities that will offer out of state tuition wavers (in other words wave the out of state fees for out of staters) to someone with an AA from another college?

I know there are a few universities that offer these wavers to freshmen, but don't know if it also exists for transfers.

Thanks!
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
These are generally agreements where the "host" university gives in-state tuition or a partial reduction in tuition to students seeking a degree that is not offered at any institution in their home states. As an example let us say there is an agreement between Wyoming and Oregon and a student from Wyoming wants to study marine biology. That student could then attend a participating Oregon university and either get full discount (resident tuition) or a partial discount (usually the median difference between resident and non-resident tuition: if resident tuition is $10,000 and non-res tuition is $20,000, the partial discount would place the tuition at $15,000).

Old 05-14-2014, 02:51 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

These are generally agreements where the "host" university gives in-state tuition or a partial reduction in tuition to students seeking a degree that is not offered at any institution in their home states.
Mostly true, but it's a bit more complex than that. With WICHE, for example, each state or host school still sets its own practices.

So even if you look at OR schools, Public A may accept all Dakotans under WICHE, while more-selective Public B may only accept a Dakotan under WICHE if they're in a major that Public B wants to fill (Viola performance, but not piano).

And even though CA is also a WICHE state, afaik no OR school accepts CA students under WICHE regardless of major. The NASFAA site describes the general inter-state agreement, but unfortunately when you get down to the level of a specific student looking at a specific school, you want to ask them about your specific case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities