Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 31,464 times

Advertisements

so I had a very complicated issue in undergrad where I could not rush a fraternity. for one I transferred to an SEC school during my 4th year where they had strict standards for fraternities and then it went downhill from there. I was in a rush to graduate and my previous school that I attended before transferring didn't have greek life.

Can grad students rush a fraternity or not?

I don't care about people preaching to me the whys and giving me life advice, I just want to know if it is possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 11:22 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
To my knowledge it is up to the individual fraternity and they will most likely let you join as an "honorary member" if they do.

You might have better luck with non-Greek frats.

There are plenty of activities, groups and societies for graduate students as it is.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:23 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
To the best of my knowledge, no.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:26 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,387 times
not at my SEC school.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,383,723 times
I know there are some chapters that employ graduate students as academic advisors for the chapters. Perhaps that is something worth looking into as an alternative?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:57 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Unless you're going to base you're choice of schools on whether you can rush I'd think you'll be better off checking with the with the school you know you'll be attending and the fraternity chapters there. Look at the non greek ones.

I don't think most places have restrictions on who can rush (did you last college really have that rule or was it something else?). What needs to happen is a frat would have to give you a bid.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times
I was a TKE in college and we had a few grad students as members but they were actives as undergrads but that was a long time ago.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 PM

14 posts, read 52,720 times
Default Graduate/older students rushing fraternities and getting bids, any ideas?

No I will not listen to you that say fraternities are for young kids or whatever, if your goal is to tell me to go away from that life then do not even bother posting on this thread.

That said, I have heard about guys as old as 25 who rushed and got bids to be in a fraternity because they were former military. Now I am almost done with undergrad and had to transfer schools and all that so the fraternity option was not as easily available to me (last university did not have greek life). I do plan on going to graduate school and I was wondering what the rule is about grad students rushing fraternities at a university or if they even allow it. I am more interested in hanging out with 18-21 that love to get drunk and party.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:00 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloststudentinlife View Post
No I will not listen to you that say fraternities are for young kids or whatever, if your goal is to tell me to go away from that life then do not even bother posting on this thread.

That said, I have heard about guys as old as 25 who rushed and got bids to be in a fraternity because they were former military. Now I am almost done with undergrad and had to transfer schools and all that so the fraternity option was not as easily available to me (last university did not have greek life). I do plan on going to graduate school and I was wondering what the rule is about grad students rushing fraternities at a university or if they even allow it. I am more interested in hanging out with 18-21 that love to get drunk and party.
I just saw one of your other posts....it is going to be extremely difficult for you to get accepted into any grad school with a 2.4 GPA. You probably won't have many choices...if you can only get accepted at a small school that doesn't have a big Greek presence, will you go anyway? Just curious. Did you take the GREs yet?

Old 08-09-2014, 07:16 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Why not check with frats at schools you're interested in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloststudentinlife View Post

On second thought, be sure to provide this information in your grad school application. If there's one thing academic departments love, it's immature people with abysmal GPAs who want to waste a couple years getting drunk with underage idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities