Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 01:00 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedUnderGradStudent View Post
As sad as it sounds, I wish that for just a month or so I could live like some douchey frat boy, alcohol and douchebag friends while having sex with girls that have loose morals. I guess the media has really gotten to my head, thanks for helping me out though guys.
I noticed that you are very judgmental in regards to other people. I wonder if that impacts your relationship with the people around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 10:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,042,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedUnderGradStudent View Post
Well guys I am embarrassed to admit this but I might as well go ahead. I go to a large state school and I am not an ugly guy by any means but I am having problems making friends and getting into relationships. The issue is that I am an engineering major but not only that, the girls I like always play me. The guys I see getting girls are usually frat boys and jocks on the sports teams here while I am neither of those. I have always wanted to date attractive women and have a great friends circle but I feel that college is my last chance to have both of those. It's like college is being portrayed a certain way to me and I am not getting to experience college in that way. Most of the times I am alone and sometimes it depresses me.
I had a very similar experience. If you're of above average intellect and have interests beyond drinking, football and fornication, you're likely to have a hard time relating to the student body of a large state school. Virtually everything I remember fondly about my college years happened far away from campus.

The real world has been…slightly better, I guess. You should also realize that the frat bro lifestyle isn't really that rewarding if you're not mentally built like one (i.e., like an intellectual brick). It's only the fact that it's being denied to you that makes you covet it with such a burning intensity (once again, speaking from experience).

Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM

7 posts, read 14,515 times
Well I am almost done with college too so that is that. I have interests that involve drinking and football but still I find that the frat boy crowd and the crowd of partyers will not accept me.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,574,734 times
If you are an engineering student than you should get involved in a group like the Mini-baja or solar car race teams. Baja SAE Series - SAE Collegiate Design Series - Students - SAE International solar - ASC/FSGP 2014 | American Solar Challenge These are generally not all guy groups and the women that would be members would be nice to have as friends. I would suggest, btw, focusing more on friendship than dating. I married my best friend.

I know a few people that did that and formed lasting friendships. The majority of college students are NOT in greek organizations. Find something interesting and join it!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I noticed that you are very judgmental in regards to other people. I wonder if that impacts your relationship with the people around you.
I can almost guarantee you that he's not nearly as judgmental of them as they are of him. I know their ilk too well.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:58 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
I can almost guarantee you that he's not nearly as judgmental of them as they are of him. I know their ilk too well.
Who are "they"? The other people at school who are going about their lives and studies? "They" are too busy and involved in their lives to sit around and judge people.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:07 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,500,793 times
I'm an engineering major and haven't had any problems attracting women. In fact I would say it has helped more than hurt my ability to attract them. But then again I suppose I don't have the "look" of your typical engineering major and I'm slightly older (late 20s) so I'm not exactly going after the 19-20 year old students. I actually met my current girlfriend in an engineering class before she switched majors because it was too hard haha.

Try joining some clubs or other student organizations that will put you into more social circles. Women are more likely to date guys who they're familiar with. I'm not sure how your appearance is but one thing that helps is hitting the gym. Getting in shape will instantly draw more female attention to yourself. Why do you think those jocks you refer to are pulling the good looking ones?

If all else fails then after college and you have your career going in engineering, it shouldn't be hard to find a woman. Financial stability/power transcends almost every other element of attraction when it comes to women.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:13 AM

277 posts, read 437,143 times
I'm a grad student at a large state school and went to undergrad at a large state school. There are plenty of opportunities for everyone to socialize. I know a lot of the engineering majors went out for food and drinks once a week (my best friend and fraternity brother was an engineering major). There are clubs for almost anything you can imagine, and there isn't one for you, you can make one. I think we had 300+ student clubs and organizations on campus. My freshman year I joined a fraternity, a club sports team, a campus ministry, and held an on campus job. I probably met too many people and was too involved (my time was spread thin). Some of the posters here are coddling you like a child. You want the truth? College can be the best time of your life- or at least the best time of your life so far. You want to party, go out on the town, and get wild? do it.Just remember to keep your grades in check.

I do find the "douchey frat boy" comments to be a bit off-putting. The douchey frat boys may stand out in social situations, but no women of class go for that. It's the gentlemen who treat others with respect, project confidence, and have fun that get the cream of the crop.

There's still time to make your mark on college, look into those clubs and organizations. Remember, you can still have the time of your life after college too. Like others have said, a job and stability goes a long way. Look into websites like "meetup" where you can find local groups that you share interests with. Just don't look back and think "what if I did something different." Only you can make the difference. Shoot me a message if you want any more advice.

Anyway, good luck.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:04 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,742,639 times
I honestly thought college was going to be a time where I met lifelong female friends. It wasn't about dating for me, but I was hoping to get that kind of bond. I had friends for that time period of my life and met many catty women who always felt like we were in competition for men or something. I kept in touch with a few people but don't feel this bond with them like I had wanted. More like we slowly difted apart for a few years?

The best female friends I've had I met at my first post-college job! No matter where we are, there is this lifelong bond there! They are supportive, encouraging, and not at all in any competition! In fact, I'd say my social life has been more fulfilling since college because there's no longer that "competing to snag a man" crap.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I honestly thought college was going to be a time where I met lifelong female friends. It wasn't about dating for me, but I was hoping to get that kind of bond. I had friends for that time period of my life and met many catty women who always felt like we were in competition for men or something. I kept in touch with a few people but don't feel this bond with them like I had wanted. More like we slowly difted apart for a few years?

The best female friends I've had I met at my first post-college job! No matter where we are, there is this lifelong bond there! They are supportive, encouraging, and not at all in any competition! In fact, I'd say my social life has been more fulfilling since college because there's no longer that "competing to snag a man" crap.
There are no "lifelong" bonds. If college taught you anything, it should be to tightly manage your expectations for life.

Quote:
I do find the "douchey frat boy" comments to be a bit off-putting. The douchey frat boys may stand out in social situations, but no women of class go for that. It's the gentlemen who treat others with respect, project confidence, and have fun that get the cream of the crop.
Lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities