Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll: Do you reject friendships and family relationships with people who hold opposing political bel
Yes, I have no use for people I don't agree with. 4 5.71%
No, but I try to avoid them as much as possible. 15 21.43%
No, I like debating people I disagree with. 40 57.14%
I'm not political enough to care. 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:46 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times

Advertisements

I'm talking more about people who, right, left or libertarian, are obnoxious about expressing their political views in social settings when they know people with other views are present. I am not talking about people that you know hold a different view but are respectful enough not to bring up politics in mixed company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 07:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
I don't reject friendships with them, but I certainly do think less of their intelligence if they are unable to articulate both sides of an argument.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I dont reject people for their political beliefs but my Dad and Brother are so far gone on the rightwing Koolaid they dont talk to me much any more, evidently because i'm in favor of a few government social programs i'm viewed as the family Communist....

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm talking more about people who, right, left or libertarian, are obnoxious about expressing their political views in social settings when they know people with other views are present. I am not talking about people that you know hold a different view but are respectful enough not to bring up politics in mixed company.
I didn't vote because none of the choices worked for me. I do not reject friendships or family relationships for politics, period. Don't try to avoid them, don't debate them, I express my views, they express theirs and we agree to disagree.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:35 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Very rarely talk politics with people because most do not even know what they are talking about. Examples, my cousin thinks that GM has payed the gov back in full when I tried to explain to him we are holding GM stock he said that was BS. Another came from a deputy sheriff that claims that Bush took the cap on the price of a barrel of oil off and that is why gas is so high

I get my political fix here at CD and have learned a lot of information from people that do know what they are talking about. It sure beats discussing politics with people that do not have a clue or give you the party talking points. I just let those people ramble on, why cast your pearls before swine ? and plus you will never get them to change their mind.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:41 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
No, I don't avoid them. I just avoid discussing politics with them. You can't argue with crazy.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:44 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Family is family, no escaping them. Tend not to have many friends who hold vastly opposite political beliefs. I find I can usually predict someone's political beliefs long before any political viewpoint is even expressed. In my experience, certain personality traits are common among far right and far left folks so, I gravitate to folks with personality traits I identify with. They in turn tend to share similar political beliefs and values.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I didn't vote because none of the choices worked for me. I do not reject friendships or family relationships for politics, period. Don't try to avoid them, don't debate them, I express my views, they express theirs and we agree to disagree.

Same here. My beliefs are my beliefs, and if you ask me, I'm going to tell you! I realize not everyone is the same, otherwise the world would be a boring place. But I certainly am not going to let politics get in the way of family or friendships. My cousin and I have gone back and forth about everything from politics and religion. He is a union guy and a died in the wool democrat (yes I know not ALL union workers vote democrat), I am libertarian, and his dad, my uncle, is a staunch republican. My cousin (he tried to label me as a tea party guy) has gotten annoyed with me and vice versus, but I honestly think he gets more upset with his dad, than me. I love my uncle, God bless him. But the one time when he started preaching small government, and fiscal responsibility, and I agreed with him, and added "well since you're talking about conservative policies, then how about legalizing marijuana and quit the stupid failure of a drug war?" Well... let's just say he looked at me as if I was crazy. He then asked "why on Earth would we do that?" Whereas, my cousin (the democrat) and I agree on that.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
I avoid political discussions away from the Internet. There are other more interesting things to talk about.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:10 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
I dropped a gal I was dating because she was leaning too far Right. Outside of physical attraction, I can't imagine a more important item for compatibility than political orientation.

There I was on date #3, thinking it could be the night to at least make out on the couch... instead she goes on about 'certain people' being leeches and that white Americans in the country were more deserving. She was sticking up for the loathesome Tea Party at every turn so I'd heard enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies