Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM

154 posts, read 392,057 times

Advertisements

Ugghhh,

Is it just me or are there many other people who are frustrated with our system! I am meaning our government structure has always worked for us, but as we grow as a nation, become more diverse in religion and social/moral beliefs there is suddenly a huge gap in between our laws and politcal parties where many people, like myself, can not find a place!

I feel so stereotyped if I have ONE belief that is liberal or republican, by the opposing side. I have EXTREME views that are partly liberal and the other beliefs are extremely stereotypical Republican.

Dont you wish a President were merely a moral representative and "face" for the people, but meant very little to our changing laws and government decisions?

What if we could go to the poll and vote on individual topics like abortion, immigration, health care, ect...

AND then have a seperate vote for our educated and friendly spokesman, called the 'Mr. President.'

It seems like everyones voice would be heard that way, it would end party wars and people would have less to complain about on both sides.

I would rather we decide the laws and the President not represent a political party at all, just be an educated, articulate, friendly beauty queen for our country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,840 times
Thats because the beliefs of the party are not necessarily in align with the core philosophy. We all heard the rhetoric that liberals want to spend and are for big government and conservatives are for small limited government. But their individual policies don't mesh with that, and the parties are NOT called on the carpet for it, they are NOT held accountable for it by the American People. If the American People actually got fed up with and voted them out of office things would change. But its the symptom of there are too many incumbents in Congress, but I won't vote out my incumbent he is doing a fine job.

Example:
The core Republican philosophy is smaller government. Government has no business making jobs, jobs are created through the private sector (this argument was used when the stimulus was passed) Government has no business telling us how to run our lives, that is for us to decide.

Yet Republicans support our huge bloated military, which violates these principles. Large military contracts and a huge military means government jobs, and more people on the government payroll and a larger government. And apparently its ok that we tell other countries what government they should have, since that basically what the Iraq war was about. The three most conservative presidents we EVER had, Harding Coolidge and Hoover shrank the size of the military. The Washington Naval Conference was an attempt to do that, we promised to get rid of 30 large ships and not build any new ones for 10 years. No one accused these Republicans of being unpatriotic.

So as a Republican you balance the party philosophy of small government with the support of the military.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 PM

154 posts, read 392,057 times
Yeh, it is a stink mess with this politcal party ping pong match!

EX: for a person who is pro-choice, for gay rights (doesnt bother me), in support of stronger borders and immigration laws, believing in medical for ALL Americans and so on and so on..
I do not have a place or way to really vote or express my beliefs, I just get lost in the middle without representation and being slapped around by both sides.

God, I wish there was a solution so people did not feel they had to be republican or liberal based on a few of their moral or social beliefs.

Republicans are put in with Christians (usually)...who believe in helping others less fortunate, but they do not believe in healthcare for everyone (as a basic human right to have medical assistance). None of it makes sense and while none of it makes sense everyone is so hot collared and arrogant to support a political party that is probably only 50% representing what they really believe in. These bastards need to sat down in the corner, until we can figure out a better plan. Our politics have become so childish and media driven. God, watch The View on ABC.....this is the state of our politics. Yikkkkes!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:36 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I defy labels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies