Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 07:09 AM

7 posts, read 9,504 times

Advertisements

I'm curious, what do you all think of Liberty University? I have considered going there to get an undergraduate degree in Elementary Education, and I'm wondering if it would hinder my ability to find a job in the future...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 07:28 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
They teach young earth creationism in biology class as an alternative to facts and reality. That should tell you all you need to know. It's a disgrace that this place is even called a university. At one point they even infamously revoked recognition for the College Democrats club because it wasn't fitting with the university's far right political agenda.

If you're a radical right winger and Answers in Genesis type who just wants to have your political and religious beliefs reinforced instead of actually getting an education, go for it. Otherwise pick a real university that will give you a degree that people respect.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I have nothing to base this on other than personal opinion so, unless you intend to be employed by a school run by bible literalists, I don't see how it is going to help you and, if anything, it is going to hurt you. I suggest you take your question to the Teaching Board and ask real teachers and admins what they think.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:34 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
There are so many great colleges in Virginia that you CAN avoid Liberty, which I would just to not be associated with the radical viewpoints held by the university. Even if you agree with those viewpoints, understand that there may be some employers who are unable to disassociate that viewpoint from a person when reading a resume so it is just best to have a blank slate.

If you want that small school feel and a private college, look into Bridgewater College, Randolph Macon, University of Richmond, Lynchburg College, Roanoke College, Virginia Wesleyan College.... etc. There are so many!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:03 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,287,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
They teach young earth creationism in biology class as an alternative to facts and reality. That should tell you all you need to know. It's a disgrace that this place is even called a university. At one point they even infamously revoked recognition for the College Democrats club because it wasn't fitting with the university's far right political agenda.

If you're a radical right winger and Answers in Genesis type who just wants to have your political and religious beliefs reinforced instead of actually getting an education, go for it. Otherwise pick a real university that will give you a degree that people respect.

Interesting that anyone would criticize Liberty for its ideology while so many turn a blind eye to the incredible far-left, closed-minded, totalitarian, near-police-state conditions that characterizes so many other universities in today's world of political correctness.

Maybe I should include a "trigger warning" here . . .

Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 AM

455 posts, read 1,397,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureteacher1 View Post
I'm curious, what do you all think of Liberty University? I have considered going there to get an undergraduate degree in Elementary Education, and I'm wondering if it would hinder my ability to find a job in the future...
LU is fine. I'm an LU grad and have a 6 figure job right now. My position isn't all rainbows and unicorns I put in long hours. Because of that a few months ago I decided to aggressively look for a federal position. The goal was to not be gone all the time and have a life. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I just accepted a final offer for a fairly high permanent 2210 (IT) GS position with the Department of the Army. If LU's degree was so toxic there is no way I would be where I'm at in life. In the future you might want to go to degreeinfo.com forums and ask your school questions there. Those folks live and breath all things edu and can give you a solid opinion without the knee jerk reactions you find here.

Last edited by curtisc83; 11-14-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 12:38 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
It's an evangelical Christian university. They teach things "within a Biblical worldview" (their words -- not sure how they can do that with things like biology ... they don't go into detail on their web site). They teach "Biblical truth." So I guess if you can accept those things, you will be OK. I would go insane myself at not being able to question things that are, well, absurd (and would be SEEN as absurd if you were to take them out of the context of "religion").

I do, however, think that the more years out of school (i.e., the further you are in your career), the less your degree (and where you got it) will matter. No one asks me any more where I went for undergrad; my graduate degrees (from great schools) are much more important and relevant to my job. But OP, that would be far in the future for you. I suspect that you might have a problem being taken seriously by a lot of employers fresh out of LU. (I know that might sound harsh, but you asked.)

Old 11-14-2014, 01:42 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
It's an evangelical Christian university. They teach creationism, believe being gay is a choice and a sin, etc.

It's not something I would ever willingly be associated with, but obviously there are people who feel differently. Only you can decide if their far-right and evangelical ideology would bother you. It's not taken very seriously by employers.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:45 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,105,447 times
All I think when I hear Liberty is bunch of religious nuts. I'm not religious, so I wouldn't view anyone who went there very favorably, but to each his or her own I suppose. There are a lot of amazing schools in this state. I would look elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:08 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
LU is fine. I'm an LU grad and have a 6 figure job right now. My position isn't all rainbows and unicorns I put in long hours. Because of that a few months ago I decided to aggressively look for a federal position. The goal was to not be gone all the time and have a life. Fast forward to a couple weeks ago and I just accepted a final offer for a fairly high permanent 2210 (IT) GS position with the Department of the Army. If LU's degree was so toxic there is no way I would be where I'm at in life. In the future you might want to go to degreeinfo.com forums and ask your school questions there. Those folks live and breath all things edu and can give you a solid opinion without the knee jerk reactions you find here.
Your time as a paratrooper and military experience stated in your profile probably played no hand in that, though, right? Purely based on your LU degree.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities