Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,232,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Take this from a guy who was always very "bookish" and never good with his hands, etc.

I enjoyed college and graduated when I was 24 with an economics degree. I'm 29 now and this is the first year I've reached a positive ROI.

If you enter a program that directly trains you for industry like nursing, you'll be okay. General degrees are much tougher, and if you graduate in an area with a bad economy (like most of the South) or in bad economic times, it's truly a tough road.
Generally my experience too. My degrees did pay off because the position I now hold requires them at a minimum, but I didn't see much return for about 5 years and felt frustrated about that.

In the long run, though, totally worth it.

A lot depends on what the individual wants to do, how flexible he or she is, how competent he/she is.

I have friends that now manage stores, ie: a friend of mine that's the general manager at a Petsmart, pulling in 60-80K. He started as a cashier not long after we graduated high school about 15 years ago. Another friend started as a sales associate at a tire shop. Now he manages his own tire shop and can pretty much move with ease to management at any tire or automotive shop he wants.

The big question is... do you want to work a job like that your whole life? College enables you to do other jobs and skip (some of) that 7-8 years of paying dues toiling as a low level associate before you move up. You can also leverage it to do a job that you actually want to do, not just can do.

So yeah, you can start at Petsmart with no college degree and later on manage your own Petsmart.... but as my friend puts it, "then you have work a crappy job your whole life." He hates his job and I think the way he tolerates it is that he hires only the hottest young women when any low-level position opens up. Whenever I go into that store, it is him and a bunch of cute college-age women wandering around the sales floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 PM

227 posts, read 258,006 times
Just have to put this out there -- today I was hired for a part time job in my profession I'm attending college for (accounting). I didn't seek this job out as I'm still a year away from graduation and probably going to complete my master's degree. This opportunity would not have existed without returning to college so yes, worth it, definitely.

Previously I was working a thrift store and not enjoying it at all. It was what prompted me to return to school. Yes, I may have been able to find a job that I would have enjoyed. Or I might have gotten stuck in dead-end menial retail jobs for the rest of my life till retirement and that just wasn't something I wanted to suffer through.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:01 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakbearcountry View Post
Just have to put this out there -- today I was hired for a part time job in my profession I'm attending college for (accounting). I didn't seek this job out as I'm still a year away from graduation and probably going to complete my master's degree. This opportunity would not have existed without returning to college so yes, worth it, definitely.

Previously I was working a thrift store and not enjoying it at all. It was what prompted me to return to school. Yes, I may have been able to find a job that I would have enjoyed. Or I might have gotten stuck in dead-end menial retail jobs for the rest of my life till retirement and that just wasn't something I wanted to suffer through.
But the problem with the contemporary economy is that many college grads wind up in these low-wage, menial jobs anyway, while also being saddled with major debt. In other words, they get the worst of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities